Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Article: patent troll sues photographer for infringement on patent for workflow

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,073 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 04, 2014 16:23 |  #61

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17120959 (external link)
At least one of the patents was for an automated way to search for an image in an online database by bib number. Now unless someone can show that they had such a system prior to that then he will win his case.

I look up my very obscure perverted Japanese fetish pron using an online search and the catalog number. Cuts down on false hits 100%, no keywords that would cause lots of headache and likely viruses (virii?)

can I patent that?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
waterrockets
Goldmember
3,894 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 06, 2014 15:29 |  #62

Photo509 wrote in post #17185185 (external link)
Forum contributors, PLEASE read the patents in question and try to understand some of the legal and technical details before judging the validity or anything else associated with the patents. Wrong information is misleading and confusing. Mr. Skelps is fueling misinformation on these forums and websites he has published.

The invention occurred and was filed with the Patent Office in 1999. No one has ever found any prior art before that date – including the USPTO. Unfortunately the patents didn’t issue until 2006 and by that time many event photography businesses used the invention including Capstone. A patent owner can’t really do much until the patent issues. So, for six long years I sat there and saw my ideas being used and couldn’t do a thing.

Once the patent issued we contacted some event photography companies and several, including the largest in the industry, MarathonFoto, licensed with us immediately. Some refused to license and we filed our first law suit against 8 infringers, including Brightroom. Within a short time they all settled and/or licensed with us. There were a few more lawsuits and the end was the same – they settled and/or licensed.

I contacted Michael Skelps at Capstone in 2008 and we had a cordial phone conversation. I personally followed it up with a polite email explaining the situation. He didn’t respond! We contacted him again in 2011, he didn’t respond. We filed a claim against Capstone in 2013 and he had to respond through attorneys. That is a VERY expensive way to communicate.

Recently I personally contacted him again by phone and email but Michael Skelps doesn’t respond. Michael seems to be fixated in fighting until the bitter end. It makes absolutely no sense, especially from a business point of view.

I believe Mr. Skelps has a really bad case of pride or stubbornness and he may very well go out of business and bankrupt before conceding that he could be wrong or resolve our differences.

I don’t wish anyone to go out of business or bankrupt but Mr. Skelps will NOT communicate. What can you do if someone doesn’t want to talk or communicate accept through his lawyers? The noose is tightening more and more around his business and personal finances. Can anyone talk some sense into Michael? I really hate to see what he is doing to himself.

His recent filing of a Motion For a Judgment on The Pleadings is a feudal and VERY expensive way to invalidate the patents. We have filed a response and his motion will be denied. PLEASE, someone talk some sense to Michael and tell him he doesn't have to go down this road. Doesn't he realize that even if the patents were invalidated he would still be stuck with the legal fees. Are bragging rights that valuable? I don't think so. Michael, call any time if you want to talk: (805) 492-0562

On a more positive note we are making some headway in developing really slick automated cameras. Here are some preliminary specifications (external link).

We recently tried out the new system at a bicycling event (external link) and captured every biker climbing a hill in the morning and flying down the hill at nearly 40 mph in the afternoon. No easy feat with cameras and fill flash.

Peter Wolf

This is an obvious solution, and the patent should not have been granted. There was no innovation in this process. Anyone looking to hop into sports photography would come up with this process in their first 15 minutes of thinking about it.

You did nothing more than write it down first, and you should be ashamed.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,606 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2014 10:37 |  #63

waterrockets wrote in post #17197390 (external link)
This is an obvious solution, and the patent should not have been granted. There was no innovation in this process. Anyone looking to hop into sports photography would come up with this process in their first 15 minutes of thinking about it.

You did nothing more than write it down first, and you should be ashamed.

I absolutely agree. There is nothing innovative or inventive whatsoever about the process that is patented. The patent holder is just trying to use a faulty system to suck money out of people.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kb9tdj
574 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2014 11:32 |  #64

Looks like Mr. Wolf has lost.

http://endpatentabuse.​com …ment_On_The_Ple​adings.pdf (external link)

Scott
1D Mk IV | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 1.4x Extender
www.scottrichardsonpho​tography.com (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 29, 2014 11:51 |  #65

Yup, and the decision was based on what I suggested it would be: courts have continued to find that computerizing a conventional method is not patentable.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

wanyc
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2014 12:14 |  #66

That's not a decision in post 64, just a brief in support of a motion by the defendants.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 29, 2014 12:25 |  #67

wanyc wrote in post #17239888 (external link)
That's not a decision in post 64, just a brief in support of a motion by the defendants.

A judgment on the pleadings was filed yesterday. Of course you have to pay to download it and I'm not going to do that. . . but if you want to or have access to it you can find it here:
http://www.plainsite.o​rg …ne-photography-inc-et-al/ (external link)

Of course, the judge could have rejected the argument, but I can't verify that.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,063 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 29, 2014 12:46 |  #68

I'm rather curious to hear what the actual final ruling was.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,894 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 29, 2014 12:48 |  #69

(ascii since it's not an image... since it's not my image...)

█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░░░▄▄███
███▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░▄██████
█████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░▄███████
███████▄░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▄​█████████
█████████▄▀▀░░░░░▀▀▀▄█​█████████
▀█████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀​████████░
░▀██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░▀████▌░
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░░░███░░
░░█▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░░░░██░░
░░█░░▄████▄░░░░░▄████▄​░░░░░░█░░
░░█░░█▐▄█▐█░░░░░█▐▄█▐█​░░░░░░█▄░
░░█░░██▄▄██░░░░░██▄▄██​░░░░░░░█░
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░░░░░░▐▌
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▀░░░░░░​░░░░░░░▐▌
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░▐▌░░░░░░░░​░░░░░░░▐▌
░▐▌░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▄░░░░░░​░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█▄░░░░░▀░░░░░░▀░░░░░​░░░░░░░█▌
░░▐█▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░░▄▄▀▀░█
░▐▌░░░░▀▀▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄​▄▀▀░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀░░░​░░░░░░░░█
▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░░░░░░░█
▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░​░░░░░░░░█

Good.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

kb9tdj
574 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2014 12:56 |  #70

wanyc wrote in post #17239888 (external link)

Oops, my bad....guess that's why I'm not a lawyer!

thanks for the clarification.

Scott
1D Mk IV | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 1.4x Extender
www.scottrichardsonpho​tography.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 29, 2014 13:00 |  #71

Luckless wrote in post #17239946 (external link)
I'm rather curious to hear what the actual final ruling was.

All three patents are invalidated. (I sent an e-mail to clarify)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 29, 2014 14:14 |  #72

It'll be interesting to hear if Mr. Wolf comes back to this thread to give his side of the story. While I disagree that the patents should have ever been granted, I do like hearing both sides.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 29, 2014 14:37 |  #73

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17239974 (external link)
All three patents are invalidated. (I sent an e-mail to clarify)

That is great news! So what happens to all of the companies that have licensed with him?

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

FightForRight
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 29, 2014 14:59 |  #74

BREAKING NEWS: A Federal Judge in the Central District of California has struck down all three patents in the lawsuit in which Capstone Photography is a defendant. The Court ruled "that all three of the patents in suit are directed to patent-ineligible abstract ideas, and lack an inventive concept that would make them patent-eligible applications of those ideas." The case is over and Capstone has prevailed. We are excited to have this issue resolved in our favor! However, the legal expenses are very steep and our small business will take quite a long time to recover from the $100,000 in legal expenses we have incurred. If you feel that we have helped your business or if you simply want to support the side of RIGHT, please consider donating at www.endpatentabuse.com (external link)

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 29, 2014 15:09 |  #75

cory1848 wrote in post #17240153 (external link)
That is great news! So what happens to all of the companies that have licensed with him?

One, I'd guess (without knowing for certain) that he will have to refund the patent license fee.

Two: If I was in Capstone shoes, I'd sue him for court costs and lost business. We need to teach these opportunists a lesson, and this is a start.

We all work for our money in this country (USA) and should never allow this kind of extortion to prevail -- especially with a lot of independent photographers out there trying to earn a living and support a family.

sponsored links

19,414 views & 1 like for this thread
Article: patent troll sues photographer for infringement on patent for workflow
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.