Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 28 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 07:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My last wedding

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 28, 2014 07:17 |  #1

Here's two from my last wedding. I have color versions that I delivered as well and I do enjoy those better, but I wanted to put the B&W edits in my blog.

I was inspired by the Toogy style shots for the second one and wanted something besides the standard line up wedding party. The only thing I regret from that one is that the bride's daughter is mostly obscured. I do love the face she's making though.

IMAGE: http://www.digitalroomstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_9352-2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.digitalroomstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_9338-2.jpg

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 29, 2014 21:16 |  #2

In photo 2 there is a man looking at the ground :confused:

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 29, 2014 21:47 |  #3

I'm baffled by photo 2.

Why in black and white ?

Why if you're going to take the time to arrange people do you shoot when the dude is looking at the ground ? Take multiple shots and combine when someone does something odd like this (it happens).

Why is there a little girl stealing focus right behind the bride and groom's head ?

Why is the composition set up so as to make the viewer completely unclear about where the bride and groom are ? It's awfully strange to tuck them so near to the edge.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

ethan870
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 29, 2014 22:43 |  #4

Love the expression in the first one :) Well done

Gold Coast Wedding Photographer (external link)
email: info@mariocolliphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
facebook: www.facebook.com/mario​colliPH (external link)

tim1960
688 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 19, 2014 04:57 |  #5

Have to agree with christopher's comments above. My eyes are drawn to the center of the photo of the two girls. Would have been a nice shot had this been arranged differently and in color.

T. Gray:)

510storm
148 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 19, 2014 16:05 |  #6

I think color would have worked better with both of these but the expressions in 1st are great. I agree with everything Christoper said above. Do not understand your logic at all on this one.

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 19, 2014 18:03 as a reply to  @ 510storm's post |  #7

Good work. Whether you do BW is completely up to you. In regard to the posing on number two, everyone looks way to formal to be standing on a hay trailer. Don't succumb to the jumping photo, but make it look more natural by having people interact with each other, sit/lean, chat, etc... Save the formals for a more formal setting, especially when the bride and groom are *sharing* a moment.

The first is solid. While its still probably not a truly candid moment, their expressions fit the scene.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

HAKIM ­ 82
80 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 02, 2014 14:49 |  #8

I would have move the girl in the space between the two couple camera right.

Village_Idiot
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2014 04:58 |  #9

Ouch. It's a good thing I didn't post the one of the bride, groom, best man, and maid of honor sitting at a bar in a double wide then. :D

I'll remember this stuff for next time.

Speedotron users, untie!

Village_Idiot
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2014 05:00 |  #10

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #17282214 (external link)
Good work. Whether you do BW is completely up to you. In regard to the posing on number two, everyone looks way to formal to be standing on a hay trailer. Don't succumb to the jumping photo, but make it look more natural by having people interact with each other, sit/lean, chat, etc... Save the formals for a more formal setting, especially when the bride and groom are *sharing* a moment.

The first is solid. While its still probably not a truly candid moment, their expressions fit the scene.

The bride and her half of the wedding party rolled up to the wedding aisle on it. It was an outdoor wedding at a farm owned by a friend of the groom.

Speedotron users, untie!

Village_Idiot
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2014 05:10 |  #11

HAKIM 82 wrote in post #17305671 (external link)
I would have move the girl in the space between the two couple camera right.

Unfortunately I noticed that after we were done shooting. I'll find some better photos to put up from throughout the day and see what everyone though. These two were delivered in color as well, but the bride requested several photos in B&W.

Speedotron users, untie!

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 03, 2014 09:36 |  #12

Always shoot extra.. Sometime you just have to swap heads *L*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by JakAHearts.

Dec 03, 2014 10:24 |  #13

There is a section in one of Roberto Valenzuela (highly recommend both of his books btw. They will change the way you shoot) previews on youtube that will really help you in this style of posing. Here is the link. The entire video is useful but if you want to skip to the group section, its at 27 minutes. :D

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Df_VMw7uQ_s (external link)

Also, I see this his entire classes are on sale for 99 dollars on creative live.

Shane
flickr (external link)

dhog6s
53 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 03, 2014 11:04 |  #14

Love the expressions on photo #1 as well. Not sure if it's just me but the sun glasses of the man looking in the ground seems weird...probably the placement.

lianweijun086
104 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 03, 2014 13:26 |  #15

I think Christopher hit the nail on the head on #2, In regards to the black and white, the bride puts a lot of thought into the colors of the wedding, this is one of the perfect times to show those colors off. Additionally, turning it black and white loses the bride and groom. She should stand out because she's wearing white, as opposed to whatever color the bridesmaids are wearing, but once you desaturate the photo, the couple just blend right in. It also doesn't help that they're not where we'd expect them to be, which is front and center, surrounded by their best friends!

sponsored links

4,917 views & 5 likes for this thread
My last wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.