Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d2 vs 5d3

pilsburypie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 29, 2014 15:09 |  #16

John wrote in post #17239913 (external link)
It seems like to me based on your posting history, you like to shoot portraits. In that case, I'd go with a full frame (assuming the prices you are seeing for the 5dm3 are from legit sellers cause I have no idea).

You have it pretty much right - It's mainly family stuff/kids etc, whether outside or in my basic home studio get up. I don't shoot sports and when I think of the lens I use 90% of the time it is my trusty 24-70. I have a 70-200 but that doesn't get used a great deal. The extra "reach" of a crop doesn't interest me.

Mark
Gear List

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2014 15:28 |  #17

In that case, it sounds like the 5DIII is the "no-brainer" choice for your overall needs/desires. For those of us that do more long-range and/or action shooting, the 7DII is going to be a solid player in hobbiest reach without shelling out a college tuition for a 1Dx.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 29, 2014 22:25 |  #18

At that price unless you love video, its a toal no brainer 5D3!!!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2014 23:13 |  #19

That second site is almost certainly one of the many scam sites; you'll order the body at a ridiculously low price, but before they'll ship it to you, they will call you and apply a high pressure sales pitch to get you buy all kinds of accessories at a stupid markup before they'll ship the body (if they ever do). Canon implemented a minimum pricing plan with all of their authorized dealers in the last year or so, meaning that they cannot openly advertise a price below MSRP (unless there is a current rebate going on) and that price would be well below that even WITH a rebate.
This all makes it highly likely that it is, at the very least, not an authorized dealer and at worst is a scam site.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,390 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 29, 2014 23:44 |  #20

Snydremark wrote in post #17241048 (external link)
That second site is almost certainly one of the many scam sites; you'll order the body at a ridiculously low price, but before they'll ship it to you, they will call you and apply a high pressure sales pitch to get you buy all kinds of accessories at a stupid markup before they'll ship the body (if they ever do). Canon implemented a minimum pricing plan with all of their authorized dealers in the last year or so, meaning that they cannot openly advertise a price below MSRP (unless there is a current rebate going on) and that price would be well below that even WITH a rebate.
This all makes it highly likely that it is, at the very least, not an authorized dealer and at worst is a scam site.

I absolutely don't care about authorized dealer or not, i bought cameras, lenses, etc .... to "non" authorized dealers never have a problem with warranty or repair my gear !!

Having said that ... Snydremark got an excellent eye, like him, i do believe also that this second website is a SCAM !! just by looking at the comments, there is something wrong ... they ALL speak how HDEW is "wonderful" :rolleyes:, just make a comparison with the comment on B&H or Amazon, 90% of the comment speak about the product they bought and do not care about B&H or Amazon, here on this scam website ... 100% of the comments tell you how marvelous is HDEW, and look at the url the main website is .... rtrk.co.uk ...
So not only few things going wrong, but plenty ;)
My 2 cents > stay far from this second website ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Joe52
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 30, 2014 02:27 |  #21

HDEW isn't a scam, I bought a 7D from them, no problems at all, they are a popular online store - http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk …-anyone-used-them.215462/ (external link)

My 500px (external link)

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 30, 2014 02:40 |  #22

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17241078 (external link)
I absolutely don't care about authorized dealer or not, i bought cameras, lenses, etc .... to "non" authorized dealers never have a problem with warranty or repair my gear !!

Having said that ... Snydremark got an excellent eye, like him, i do believe also that this second website is a SCAM !! just by looking at the comments, there is something wrong ... they ALL speak how HDEW is "wonderful" :rolleyes:, just make a comparison with the comment on B&H or Amazon, 90% of the comment speak about the product they bought and do not care about B&H or Amazon, here on this scam website ... 100% of the comments tell you how marvelous is HDEW, and look at the url the main website is .... rtrk.co.uk ...
So not only few things going wrong, but plenty ;)
My 2 cents > stay far from this second website ;)

If you google them and read various forums of people asking if they are legit there are plenty of people who have bought from them with no problems at very low prices. There are at least another half dozen sites doing the camera for that same price (or in some cases less) so the price doesn't seem to be that unrealistic.

The trustpilot link I posted earlier does have negative reviews in there too and people are probably more likely to post good reviews when they get the goods so much cheaper, especially if they deliver as quick as people on the forums are saying.

The goods do come direct from Honk Kong though.

Obviously to get goods this cheap you take more of a risk than spending much more at the likes of Jessops however I don't neccessarily think good reviews and the fact they gather marketing data (If I am right in thinking thats what the rtrk.co.uk means) mean the site is definately a scam. Certainly I have bookmarked them myself for when I am next price shopping.

Sadly not everything on their site is that much cheaper and the Sigma 50-500 I would like is still £1000 :(

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,951 posts
Gallery: 378 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2014 03:21 |  #23

I'd imagine they are not adding any vat or duties ( if there are any ) on the camera price. So as long as customs and excise (or whatever the US equivalent is ) the price will be low. If C&E do attach a fee you might not be as well off. All part of e lottery of grey importing.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear I use to create (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2014 03:26 |  #24

Joe52 wrote in post #17241172 (external link)
HDEW isn't a scam, I bought a 7D from them, no problems at all, they are a popular online store - http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk …-anyone-used-them.215462/ (external link)

Exactly this.

HDEW have been going for 20 odd years, have a bricks and mortar UK address and are 100% scam free.

I got my 5D3 from there and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,390 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2014 04:30 |  #25

Joe52 wrote in post #17241172 (external link)

Ok ... i can believe you, but you should tell them to stop to filter the comments and not put only the one they like ... because it look really like a scam ... ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 30, 2014 04:34 |  #26

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17241196 (external link)
I'd imagine they are not adding any vat or duties ( if there are any ) on the camera price. So as long as customs and excise (or whatever the US equivalent is ) the price will be low. If C&E do attach a fee you might not be as well off. All part of e lottery of grey importing.

Can't speak for HDew but when I got my camera as a gray import the company I went with had the camera imported to themselves then shipped it out to you from their UK warehouse (I suppose this way they can claim UK stock which makes a lot of people not realise it's gray import). If anyone got stung for import charges it was them and the cost to you would only ever be what was on the website, though I was careful to check this with them prior to ordering having watched my dad stung on radio control model goods from EBay selling claiming to be UK suppliers.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2014 04:43 |  #27

I bought my 5D3 from Igadjit.co.uk and it was £1800 and it came with a US canon warranty card. The grey import ones from the likes of digital Rev don't and you need plug adapters and all sorts. I don't think I could go back to crop but I'll be taking this 7D2 seriously in the next few weeks as the reviews and testimonials from 'real people' unfold. I would urge anyone to do that same. It's not pocket money were dealing with when buying this stuff.

Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 30, 2014 04:53 |  #28

Hdew are a trusted and very well known site in the UK. They have been based in the UK since 1993. Yes it is grey imports but they give a three year warranty. I have bought my last two Cameras (inc 5D3) from them as well as several lenses. and they are great to deal with. There are loads of positive reviews for them on sites like BirdForum, in fact you would be hard pressed to find any poor reviews for them by actual users. BTW if you do need to claim through their warranty system then according to one post I saw recently they use fully approved Canon UK repairers. They are fully upfront in letting you know that their gear is not UK stock and will not qualify for any Canon rebates.
I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending them to anyone in the UK.
What a lot of you guys in the states do not seem to understand is that we are talking about GBP and not US$ so £1649 = $2638. Like wise for the 7D2 £1599 is equal to around $2560.

TOP BIRD SHOTS (external link)
MY PHOTOSTREAM (external link)

500px gallery (external link)

Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 30, 2014 05:01 |  #29

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17241196 (external link)

Hdew are a legitimate UK company who pay all the taxes and duties - the prices you see are what you pay with all taxes paid (unlike some of the Hong Kong importers who try to get away without paying the correct taxes/duties). BTW some of their lenses are white box models (split from Camera/lens kits) but again they are fully up front about this.

TOP BIRD SHOTS (external link)
MY PHOTOSTREAM (external link)

500px gallery (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,390 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2014 05:05 |  #30

Paulstw wrote in post #17241229 (external link)
I bought my 5D3 from Igadjit.co.uk and it was £1800 and it came with a US canon warranty card. The grey import ones from the likes of digital Rev don't and you need plug adapters and all sorts. I don't think I could go back to crop but I'll be taking this 7D2 seriously in the next few weeks as the reviews and testimonials from 'real people' unfold. I would urge anyone to do that same. It's not pocket money were dealing with when buying this stuff.

Good advice !
When a new camera come out, i always wait around 6 months if i want to buy it.
For example the 5D3, i bought it few months later it went out, so ... after cameras was called back for the little light problem they got in the beginning, with also a very nice decreased price and after reading a lot of comments, reviews and testimonial;)

sponsored links

15,641 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d2 vs 5d3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.