Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d2 vs 5d3

sploo
premature adulation
2,598 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 30, 2014 05:12 as a reply to  @ post 17241242 |  #31

Another vote for HDEW: I've bought a few things from them (including body and lens) and never had a problem. They're pretty up front about the gear being import, but I've never had a problem registering the serial numbers via Canon's CPS/CPN site.

I did query them a while back about the higher price of their Sigma stuff. IRC They indicated they just don't have the same sources available to get the prices down.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 30, 2014 05:24 |  #32

If you wait a while until hdew get stocks of the 7D2 you will find it will be a lot cheaper than £1599 ($2560). One of the things with a grey importer like hdew is that they do not get new kit as quickly as the UK Canon approved dealers but it is well worth the wait IMO. Besides it always pays to wait a while until all the user reviews come out on a new Camera anyway.

TOP BIRD SHOTS (external link)
MY PHOTOSTREAM (external link)

500px gallery (external link)

Klystron
Goldmember
2,931 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 30, 2014 05:40 |  #33

nellyle wrote in post #17241198 (external link)
Exactly this.

HDEW have been going for 20 odd years, have a bricks and mortar UK address and are 100% scam free.

I got my 5D3 from there and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Another vote for HDEW, I know people you have been to the store and picked up lenses, They have a telephone number so you can phone them and speak to a real person. They offer warrenty cover as well.
I have bought a 5D3 and a 70-200mm F2.8 from them at different times, no problems with their service. Sometime you have to watch the price, as the exchange rate can change when you buy the item.

DigitalRev have them for £1399 http://www.digitalrev.​com/product/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii (external link)

Given that the cameras are made in Japan, and Canon is a global company. It should not matter.

The difference with the 7D2 and 5D3 will be the 7D2 is for sports/action subject the 5D3 is not. See Scot Kelby's blog.

Sony A9 ii, A9, A7R II, A5000, RX100 va
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2014 06:11 |  #34

Digital Rev have it for £1399 and in stock. I used to buy all my stuff from them

http://www.digitalrev.​com …7d-mark-ii/MTEwMzc3NQ_A_A (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,941 posts
Gallery: 378 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2014 06:40 |  #35

Roy C wrote in post #17241242 (external link)
Hdew are a legitimate UK company who pay all the taxes and duties - the prices you see are what you pay with all taxes paid (unlike some of the Hong Kong importers who try to get away without paying the correct taxes/duties). BTW some of their lenses are white box models (split from Camera/lens kits) but again they are fully up front about this.

Thanks Roy, just reading that, makes it more attractive a buy alright.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear I use to create (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 30, 2014 07:25 |  #36

Paulstw wrote in post #17241301 (external link)
Digital Rev have it for £1399 and in stock. I used to buy all my stuff from them

http://www.digitalrev.​com …7d-mark-ii/MTEwMzc3NQ_A_A (external link)

I would not touch them with a barge pole!
They were into defacing serial nos ( to hide the sources identity ) makes it impossible to service by Canon even if you pay and is illegal.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2014 07:32 |  #37

Submariner wrote in post #17241395 (external link)
I would not touch them with a barge pole!
They were into defacing serial nos ( to hide the sources identity ) makes it impossible to service by Canon even if you pay and is illegal.

Not heard that one at all. It's an option for folk who dont really care about selling things on or warranties. My gear was always fine. Now that i'm in business I'm more inclined to buy local so I can at least get tax back on self assessment. Peace of mind for insurers too and all that hassle.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,273 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2014 07:50 as a reply to  @ Paulstw's post |  #38

One camera optimized for high speed (7D Mark II), the other for high image quality (5D Mark III).

You want both? Then it's the 1DX.

Anders

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2014 07:53 |  #39

apersson850 wrote in post #17241427 (external link)
One camera optimized for high speed (7D Mark II), the other for high image quality (5D Mark III).

You want both? Then it's the 1DX.

I summed that up a few days ago then checked my finances, closed the browser window and went on to moan about life and the Gov again lol

Kickflipkid687
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 30, 2014 08:04 |  #40

I got the 7D II last night, locally. I'll say that it feels VERY much like the 5D III. Really, you might not even realize at first. This is going off memory though. But the 7D is faster for sure/has more customization I'm pretty sure and some hardware improvements.

I was shooting at ISO 16000, without seeing any major issues that I did on my 60D. But I need to look at them on the PC and do more testing. I only got to use it for about 1 hour so far indoors in crappy light.

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,894 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 30, 2014 08:06 |  #41

Raw or JPG? The 60D used the old JPG engine, the 7D2 uses the new. Just an FYI, it wasn't clear from your reply.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 30, 2014 09:23 as a reply to  @ post 17241245 |  #42

Joe52 wrote in post #17241172 (external link)
HDEW isn't a scam, I bought a 7D from them, no problems at all, they are a popular online store - http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk …-anyone-used-them.215462/ (external link)

Shake N Vac wrote in post #17241174 (external link)
If you google them and read various forums of people asking if they are legit there are plenty of people who have bought from them with no problems at very low prices. There are at least another half dozen sites doing the camera for that same price (or in some cases less) so the price doesn't seem to be that unrealistic.

The trustpilot link I posted earlier does have negative reviews in there too and people are probably more likely to post good reviews when they get the goods so much cheaper, especially if they deliver as quick as people on the forums are saying.

The goods do come direct from Honk Kong though.

Obviously to get goods this cheap you take more of a risk than spending much more at the likes of Jessops however I don't neccessarily think good reviews and the fact they gather marketing data (If I am right in thinking thats what the rtrk.co.uk means) mean the site is definately a scam. Certainly I have bookmarked them myself for when I am next price shopping.

Sadly not everything on their site is that much cheaper and the Sigma 50-500 I would like is still £1000 :(

nellyle wrote in post #17241198 (external link)
Exactly this.

HDEW have been going for 20 odd years, have a bricks and mortar UK address and are 100% scam free.

I got my 5D3 from there and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Roy C wrote in post #17241242 (external link)
Hdew are a legitimate UK company who pay all the taxes and duties - the prices you see are what you pay with all taxes paid (unlike some of the Hong Kong importers who try to get away without paying the correct taxes/duties). BTW some of their lenses are white box models (split from Camera/lens kits) but again they are fully up front about this.

Awesome; always good to hear from folks that have actually dealt with a shop. Thanks guys!

Roy C wrote in post #17241234 (external link)
What a lot of you guys in the states do not seem to understand is that we are talking about GBP and not US$ so £1649 = $2638. Like wise for the 7D2 £1599 is equal to around $2560.

We understand perfectly that you guys are talking about GBP and not USD. The ratio is still the same and a less than $100 difference between a 5DIII and a 7DII is suspicious regardless of whether it's grey market or not. A 5D III body only goes for around $3100 (USD) and a 7D II body only $1800 (USD).

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2014 09:59 |  #43

7D2 can be had for £1159 delivered from the usual importers on Ebay.

Do HDEW provide VAT receipts?

Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 30, 2014 11:05 |  #44

Snydremark wrote in post #17241583 (external link)
We understand perfectly that you guys are talking about GBP and not USD. The ratio is still the same and a less than $100 difference between a 5DIII and a 7DII is suspicious regardless of whether it's grey market or not. A 5D III body only goes for around $3100 (USD) and a 7D II body only $1800 (USD).

Yep, the comparison was a little bit misleading as the price for the 7D2 was absolute top price for early adopters in the UK whereas the 5D3 was a rock bottom 'gray' price from a different source. I would expect the likes of hdew to discount the 7D2 at around £1199 ($1920) or even cheaper when they get stock. This would put the ratio between the 5D3 and 7D2 about right.

Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 30, 2014 11:15 |  #45

jj_glos wrote in post #17241651 (external link)
Do HDEW provide VAT receipts?

Not sure what you mean as I have never had a VAT receipt as such from any Camera supplier in the UK (inc the likes of WEX ... ) is this something you have to ask for when buying goods? Their goods are shipped from Surrey and have all taxes paid as far as the consumer goes just like anything else you may buy on the web from the UK.

This is unlike a lot of the gray 'stuff' that is sent direct to the consumer from the likes of Hong Kong - in this case you would be considered the importer and it would be your responsibility to make sure all VAT and import duties are paid. With Hdew you are dealing with a UK based company.

sponsored links

15,623 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d2 vs 5d3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.