Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 30 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 07:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What 5D MK IV SHOULD be to stay competitive

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2014 12:19 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

David Arbogast wrote in post #17241868 (external link)
The 5D III's DR does not suck. And those that say it does are often trolls looking to stir the pot. However, to Light Pilgrim's point, other competing cameras offer significantly better DR (which doesn't make the 5D III suck!), and it would be wonderful to see a competitive sensor from Canon.

On the other hand, as much as I like the sensor in my Sony, there are things I also love about the 5D III sensor. For now I am very happy to have and use both. :D

Agreed, one doesn't have to suck just because something else is better. Right now Nikon/Sony DR is better

sponsored links
Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2014 12:51 |  #17

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #17241897 (external link)
Agreed, one doesn't have to suck just because something else is better. Right now Nikon/Sony DR is better

The only time you'll see the difference is when you're pixel peeping. In real world use can you really see the difference after post processing is complete ? If you start printing, that difference is even more difficult to see.

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,970 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 30, 2014 12:56 |  #18

Patbil10 wrote in post #17241880 (external link)
Can you specify what you like about the Canon sensor vs Sony ? (other than DR)

I use color calibration profiles for both my cameras in LR (xrite's color checker system), which should theoretically neutralize any color differences between them, but I find I have a slight preference for the 5D III's depiction of hues. It's not about one sensor renders yellow and the other red - nothing like that, which a good profile can neutralize. It's more about the richer subtle variation of hues even at the pixel level that appeals to my eyes. That said I am quite happy with both color-wise. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,970 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 30, 2014 13:01 |  #19

Patbil10 wrote in post #17241967 (external link)
The only time you'll see the difference is when you're pixel peeping. In real world use can you really see the difference after post processing is complete ? If you start printing, that difference is even more difficult to see.

Don't be a DR denier. We don't need this thread to turn into feeding frenzy for Canon-bashing DR trolls, but you're not helping by denying the real value additional DR. Yes, the greater DR makes a tremendous difference. It has nothing to do with pixel peeping.

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2014 13:08 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #20

They are gonna have to go a long long long long way to get me to move off these 5D3's.

About the only think they could do would be to upgrade the AF system to the 1Dx like the 7D2 has and to Bump up ISO to 1Dx capabilities.

I really dont think they are gonna kill off the 1Dx with a 5D4...............This current 5D3 is gonna be a 5 yr body for just about everyone. Canon is gonna do Nothing to further take away from 1Dx sales........the 7D2 is gonna hurt 1Dx sales as it is.

I dont see a 5D4 until they kill off the 1Dx........Not gonna happen anytime soon and I think they will go to mirror-less bodies to sell more bodies and further improve ISO capabilities.

My Opinion is they are gonna move to mirrorless and allow us to use our canon glass on the new bodies.........I think they are done as far as DSLR's and major advances in technology are concerned. I dont think we will see a 5d4 as we know it from recent updates.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2014 13:10 |  #21

David Arbogast wrote in post #17241990 (external link)
Don't be a DR denier. We don't need this thread to turn into feeding frenzy for Canon-bashing DR trolls, but you're not helping by denying the real value additional DR. Yes, the greater DR makes a tremendous difference. It has nothing to do with pixel peeping.

Not denying at all...I'm simply stating that for what I do, I don's see this as an issue or a reason to upgrade once the markIV arrives... :)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 30, 2014 14:51 |  #22

The 5D3 capability has already come dangerously close (perhaps too close?) to the substantially more expensive flagship model, so I don't foresee much there besides cosmetics.

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2014 15:00 |  #23

I would say that 5D MKIII is what 5D MKII should have been or could have been. The technology was there, but Canon was not rushing to release it as there was no need for it. Right now, you see Nikon being better in DR, ISO and as good as or better in AF. I think Canon can easily release something to cover D810, but they need to release a Camera that will compete with D850/D900 or whatever it is going to be called like.

In my case there was never a single though in my mind to move to Nikon even though D810 is a lot more attractive than 5D MKIII to me, but I know of many Landscape photographers that switched. Met a bunch of folks in Iceland who moved to Nikon because they got a perfect Landscape gear: D800E + 14-24.

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2014 15:01 |  #24

agedbriar wrote in post #17242210 (external link)
The 5D3 capability has already come dangerously close (perhaps too close?) to the substantially more expensive flagship model, so I don't foresee much there besides cosmetics.

You have to look at competition, not internal line up.

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,895 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 30, 2014 15:10 |  #25

Moved to the appropriate forum,

I get the feeling with the 7D2 new AF system, the obvious next gen cameras are lining up.

1Dx and 5D4 will both incorporate this new AF system, likely with tweeks that match their price.

5D4 I expect will continue to be the MP leader for Canon, with 1Dx continuing to try to walk down the middle of the road between resolution and speed. If 1Dx remains FF with lower res than the 5D4, this will also offer the Canon the ability to have the 1Dx maintain Canons high ISO noise handling crown that it holds now.

As for what the 5D4 needs to remain competitive with other brands, I do not see any reason to feel it needs any thing closer to the 1Dx, it has that in spades. It simply needs Canon to come up with a break through in the sensor dept.

Some people were wanting/expecting this for the 7D2, but IMHO that was the wrong venue. 7D2 is for action at a distance, and massive DR and noise handling are all secondary there.

The 5D4 should be Canons answer to the D800/810 etc. and therefore the sensor is where the improvement needs to be. At this point the 5D3 has so much going for it in all other aspects, you'd need to install the beer, pizza, and pole dancer buttons to give me any reason to upgrade if the sensor is not taking us to the next level.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2014 15:14 |  #26

Trying to think what would be the logic behind it. I would say that typically...you should think about your target audience and your segments:
1. What is the segment that Canon is trying to cover with 5D MKIIII/MKIV?
2. What is the segment that Canon is trying to cover with 1Dx, 1Dx MKII?
3. What is the segment that Canon is trying to cover with 6D and 6D MKII?

There must be a very clear distinction and this should determine capabilities of each camera body.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17242247 (external link)
Moved to the appropriate forum,

I get the feeling with the 7D2 new AF system, the obvious next gen cameras are lining up.

1Dx and 5D4 will both incorporate this new AF system, likely with tweeks that match their price.

5D4 I expect will continue to be the MP leader for Canon, with 1Dx continuing to try to walk down the middle of the road between resolution and speed. If 1Dx remains FF with lower res than the 5D4, this will also offer the Canon the ability to have the 1Dx maintain Canons high ISO noise handling crown that it holds now.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,997 posts
Gallery: 638 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 30, 2014 15:31 |  #27

I hope the 5d4 has absolutely no improvements, cos I just bought a 5D3 today :)

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,970 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 30, 2014 15:51 |  #28

xpfloyd wrote in post #17242293 (external link)
I hope the 5d4 has absolutely no improvements, cos I just bought a 5D3 today :)

:lol:
But, hey, congratulations!! Your 135mm now has a proper home! :)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,997 posts
Gallery: 638 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 30, 2014 15:53 |  #29

David Arbogast wrote in post #17242324 (external link)
:lol:
But, hey, congratulations!! Your 135mm now has a proper home! :)

Thanks mate, ordered online so hoping it arrives soon. Finally have AF on my 135

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 30, 2014 18:31 |  #30

My wish list for the 5D4...

1. The same Sony sensor as the Nikon D750
  2. 1/500 option for minimum shutter speed
  3. -3 EV sensitivity on the center AF point
  4. -2 EV sensitivity on the outer AF points
  5. Spot metering linked to the AF point
  6. Same CF + SD card slots as the 7D2

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

sponsored links

28,431 views & 5 likes for this thread
What 5D MK IV SHOULD be to stay competitive
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.