Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 30 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 13:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a bag to wear while shooting.

OneDeep
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 30, 2014 13:34 |  #1

I have a bad habit of putting my camera backpack down if I'm shooting portrait sessions on location (local parks). I just thought that some one can run out of no where and grab it and keep running. I think I need a new bag. Easy to access my lenses but easy to shoot with it (I get down on the ground a lot). I want a bag I can put my gripped camera with a lens attached on. Plus a few extra lens. Maybe a shoulder bag? Budget Under $150.

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

sponsored links
v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 30, 2014 13:52 |  #2

It'd be nice to know what camera and lens(es) (and any other accessories, e.g. flash) you plan on having in the bag. Hard to recommend a bag without that critical information as there are tons of bags ranging from small to extra large.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 30, 2014 13:59 |  #3

Look st the Domke bsgs. They were designed by a photojournalist for just thr purpose you describe.

OneDeep
THREAD ­ STARTER
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 30, 2014 14:32 |  #4

A t3i 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4 with lens hood, a speedlight, and some basic cleaning stuff. I don't plan on making it my main bag just to shoot. Everybody bag I seen didn't fit with a grip on.

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 30, 2014 15:15 |  #5

The Think Tank Retrospective bags are my favorite "shooting" bags. I have a Retro 10 and it holds a 5D with 70-200 2.8 and an additional lens or two. Everything is easily accessible yet secure. Not the sexiest of bags but IMHO the best bag to work out of. For your gear you may even be able to use a Retro 7.

Bag is expensive new but can be had relatively cheap used.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 30, 2014 15:19 |  #6

I have a few bags and a belt system. There are times when I strip out all the lens holding padding and just drop the loaded belt system in the bag. My belt and some of the pouches are think tank, other pouches are tamarac. ThinkTank also makes camera holsters that will take gripped bodies with a lens on them.

I also have a ThinkTank Airport Security that I take to sporting events and lock the bag to a table (usually find one that's built into a wall) or support beam.

One body, two lenses and a speedlight? Look at messenger bags, I love my ThinkTank retrospective, but there are many options, including Domke and there's a thread somewhere about a $20 messenger bag from amazon that's for like school books, then spend another $20 on a camera padding insert and it works just as well but, won't scream camera bag.

Where in Indiana are you? I may be able to recommend a place to check a few bags out.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 30, 2014 18:19 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #17242121 (external link)
Look st the Domke bsgs. They were designed by a photojournalist for just thr purpose you describe.

This - the Domke Classic line are outstanding bags for working out of. I've been using one or another of them for over 30 years, changing bags to suit what I'm actually carrying. Let us know more specifically what you'll be carrying and we can maybe narrow things down for you. Just be aware that you may find the best one for your needs would run you over $150, but they last forever (I still have my first one; my sister has my second or third one).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2014 20:36 |  #8

Jon wrote in post #17242543 (external link)
This - the Domke Classic line are outstanding bags for working out of. I've been using one or another of them for over 30 years, changing bags to suit what I'm actually carrying. Let us know more specifically what you'll be carrying and we can maybe narrow things down for you. Just be aware that you may find the best one for your needs would run you over $150, but they last forever (I still have my first one; my sister has my second or third one).

Jon, see post #4 above.

I have a TT Retrospective 10 for this purpose, and find it an excellent bag to work from.

Cheers, Damien

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 30, 2014 20:42 |  #9

I use a Domke F3x when I want to work fast.

I had a Retro 10 I took on vacation. I sold it immediately on return. Beautiful bag. However it's heavy, and I hated the rain cover.

good we have choices. My choices may not suit you.

I have 4 Think Tank bags still. beautifully made. last and last.

EDIT
I get more photos in worse weather using my Dome F3X than I did with my Retro 10. (I had a photo business for years and years, and I usually work camera out of bag, with alternate lenses in bag. When weather hits with the Dome the camera goes in the bag. Weather stays out.
With the Retro 10 I put the rain cover on. No more pictures. I carried that heavy bag with dslr grip and 18-200VR for 5 miles sealed. Not happy)

Dave

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 30, 2014 21:52 |  #10

2mnycars wrote in post #17242806 (external link)
I use a Domke F3x when I want to work fast.

I had a Retro 10 I took on vacation. I sold it immediately on return. Beautiful bag. However it's heavy, and I hated the rain cover.

good we have choices. My choices may not suit you.

I have 4 Think Tank bags still. beautifully made. last and last.

The F3X would do fine for that.One of mine holds a 5D2+24-105, Tamron 90 mm macro and 75-300 in the main compartment, flash + off-camera bracket and cord in a side pocket and gloves (I shoot in a museum; we don't touch objects with bare skin) + a head lamp in the other side pocket. Front holds a wireless remote, spare battery and various cables along with a Passport Color Checker.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 31, 2014 19:09 |  #11

i use a domke f-6 and would recommend this bag,grate for out/about town and easy access to your gear also,amazing how mush stuff one can pack into this bag !i always grab this domke over all the rest i have.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 31, 2014 20:32 |  #12

People seem to pick Shooters bags or Storage bags

I keep buying storage bags but use shooters bags

Dave

peter_n
Goldmember
2,448 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 31, 2014 21:02 |  #13

The older design Domke bags not the new ones. Also Domke copies sold on eBay and made by Safrotto, they're also very good and almost identical to the original Domkes.

~Peter

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 31, 2014 21:56 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #14

I have a TT Retrospective 20, and I disagree it's a good bag to work out of. I like it cause it's very stealth and comfortable, but it REALLY sucks for taking things in and out. It has tons of flaps, and even the dividers have flaps--the lenses constantly get caught in the flaps if you have their hoods on. This bag only works if you can set it down and take time to change your lenses.

I got a billingham bag too, and it's what I usually use. No stupid flaps to get stuck on. My only complaint on that one is it's really tight for the gear that I fit more easily in the Retro 20. It's not as comfortable either. It is better padded though.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 31, 2014 22:57 as a reply to  @ Xyclopx's post |  #15

Laugh if you want, but it is really a nice bag for camera gear.

http://www.cabelas.com …der%3BSearch-All+Products (external link)
I think I will buy another one
Farmer

sponsored links

5,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need a bag to wear while shooting.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.