Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 22 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What earplugs are you using?

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 22, 2014 16:11 |  #1

Never really liked earplugs because it made it impossible to hear fellow shooters or other people trying to talk to me. After shooting two shows back to back I ended up with a ruptured ear drum so I need plugs bad.

What kind are you all using? Would prefer disposables so I can have multiples in different bags, also because it gets really sweaty at those shows :lol:

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links
MaximumRock
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 22, 2014 23:39 |  #2

maverick75 wrote in post #17227802 (external link)
Never really liked earplugs because it made it impossible to hear fellow shooters or other people trying to talk to me. After shooting two shows back to back I ended up with a ruptured ear drum so I need plugs bad.

What kind are you all using? Would prefer disposables so I can have multiples in different bags, also because it gets really sweaty at those shows :lol:

Do yourself a favor and save up and purchase professional grade earplugs from an audiologist. you can get them in many colors. prices vary depending on color. I use clear ones. $120 .. protect your ears!

Website http://www.legendaryro​ckinterviews.com (external link)
Gear: Canon 5D MK II - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8l USM - Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Canon 480ex II Flash

stratoholic
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 23, 2014 22:18 |  #3

I couldn't agree more with Max! An audiologist can test your hearing and determine if there are any issues. They can also make custom molds of your ears and have custom plugs made. These are the best. I've tried just about every type of earplug out there and the only ones that really work are the custom made earplugs. Should run somewhere between $150 and $200. Worth every penny!

stratoholic
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 23, 2014 22:19 |  #4

I keep mine in a water tight pill container on my key ring. Never leave home without them!

djr81
105 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Oct 23, 2014 22:31 |  #5

3M Express Pod Plugs. Disposable. Small in size and don't take half an our to fill out to fit properly. Buy in bulk and dispose of them as you need.

http://www.amazon.com …fRID=1N3EXEPVHD​E6XFFQNNQS (external link)

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 23, 2014 22:47 |  #6

Thank you! exactly what I was looking for.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

MaximumRock
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 25, 2014 17:14 |  #7

stratoholic wrote in post #17230159 (external link)
I keep mine in a water tight pill container on my key ring. Never leave home without them!

i was born with a 40% hearing loss.. so i am extra careful about keeping what i got... i generally keep my ear plugs in a large case i have for my hearing aids..works out good, then just keep them around my neck when shooting shows

Website http://www.legendaryro​ckinterviews.com (external link)
Gear: Canon 5D MK II - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8l USM - Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Canon 480ex II Flash

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 28, 2014 19:00 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

maverick75 wrote in post #17227802 (external link)

I would of thought that the live music would of made it hard to hear what people are saying, I can hear people talking, just that the earplugs were designed, or still is, to cut out the high and low frequencies (you can hear all that stuff on guitar riffs and EDM)

Just for the record, I use these http://www.amazon.co.u​k …r=8-12&keywords=ear+plugs (external link)
for six months at a time (they do have a limited time usage)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 30, 2014 00:27 as a reply to  @ RichSoansPhotos's post |  #9

I use Surefire EP3 or EP6 (essentially an all black ep3)
With the stoppers in, they work just as well as the foam earplugs, with the stoppers out, they allow you to hear talking, but block really loud stuff
I keep a pair in each camera bag - along with some disposable foamies all over the place (jacket pockets, work locker, camera bags)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 30, 2014 09:53 |  #10

how do ear plugs stop working over time?

i've got the Etyomic ER-20s (which look exactly like those Elacins) and have used pairs for much longer than 6 months w/o any apparent decrease in the ability to decrease sound levels.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2014 16:08 |  #11

I have a pair of custom IEM's from 1964 Ears and had them make me their plugs while they were at it. I think it's ~$70 for a pair.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2014 10:54 |  #12

narlus wrote in post #17241644 (external link)
how do ear plugs stop working over time?

i've got the Etyomic ER-20s (which look exactly like those Elacins) and have used pairs for much longer than 6 months w/o any apparent decrease in the ability to decrease sound levels.

they wear, stop sealing properly, and the material can stiffen too.

my Surefires are supposed to be used for 6 months, mine are about 2 yrs old and still work fine, as soft as the day they were bought.
i think the 6 months is aimed at people using them frequently

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 01, 2014 10:00 |  #13

Echo63 wrote in post #17243766 (external link)
they wear, stop sealing properly, and the material can stiffen too.

i think the 6 months is aimed at people using them frequently

:lol:

i think i qualify.

btw, my experience is that they soften over time, not stiffen. and sealing has never varied.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 01, 2014 10:42 |  #14

narlus wrote in post #17245438 (external link)
:lol:

i think i qualify.

btw, my experience is that they soften over time, not stiffen. and sealing has never varied.

could be either, depending on the material they are made from

grabbed a few more pair of cheap foamies the other day, when i was in a work safety gear store.

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 03, 2014 17:54 |  #15

Stay with Etymotic Research. Surefires are made for shooting - they don't work as well in a concert environment since they don't have the same frequency curve as ones designed for music. Etymotics (which are resold as Hearos, Elacin, EarLove, and a bunch of other brands) sound like turning the volume down without muffling the sound. Ones made for shooting might protect your ears as well, but they won't sound as good. I use custom Etymotic ones - been using them for about 25 years and love them. But the cheap Etymotics sound great to. People in the States can probably get the best deal on them at www.earlove.net (external link) where you can two pairs shipped for $20.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

sponsored links

3,862 views & 0 likes for this thread
What earplugs are you using?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.