Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Oct 2014 (Friday) 02:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it any wonder shops are closing down...

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 31, 2014 02:06 |  #1

I went in to the local camera store today to check out a Sony A7R with the intention of buying it from there if i was happy.

Conversation went something like

Me-Hi, I'm interested in a Sony A7r

Shop attendant-blank stare

Me-do you mind if I take a look at one?

Shop attendant-sure

Me after a few minutes...would you like me to show you the model I'm talking about?

Shop attendant-sure

Me after playing with it-does it have AF, I can't get it to focus?

Shop attendant-I'm not sure

Me-this EVF is pretty cool

Me-can you show me the focus peaking?

Me-so can you tell me anything about the camera?

Shop attendant-sure

Me-blank stare

Shop attendant-it's a great compact that is very compact and has loads of megapixels

Me-blank stare

Her-blank stare

Me-blank stare

Me-Well....um....thank you for....um your time?

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,903 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 31, 2014 03:42 |  #2

you that can be said for plenty of shops. they employ people who know nothing about what they are trying to sell.

the key to finding a good camera store is finding one with the knowledge about photography not just cameras.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 31, 2014 04:33 |  #3

Mark0159 wrote in post #17243238 (external link)
you that can be said for plenty of shops. they employ people who know nothing about what they are trying to sell.

the key to finding a good camera store is finding one with the knowledge about photography not just cameras.

I would have settled for just a little knowledge on cameras let alone photography lol

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,226 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 31, 2014 05:13 |  #4

Mark0159 wrote in post #17243238 (external link)
you that can be said for plenty of shops.

Somebloke wrote in post #17243266 (external link)
I would have settled for just a little knowledge on cameras let alone photography

This can be said about many shops, not just camera. For those who don't know it, Radio Shack is probably going away. They are long past financial troubles that can be fixed. They may just go away.

Pundits all have different reasons for it, but in my experience it is the same problem as the OP. There was once a time when employees could answer questions, give advice, suggest solutions. But, like in the example of the camera store above, employees are clueless idiots who often don't even know bare basics.

It is the fault of the system. If the corporation - the stores - hire "clerks" who know nothing about the products in the store and because of it, lose sales then I say good. Let them fail. Good bye and good riddance.

Website (external link) |

iroctd
294 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 31, 2014 06:06 |  #5

I can't stand it because the one camera shop in my city besides best buy has so small of a selection, I almost have more lenses than them! It gets to the point of not even wanting to go out of the house rather just go online and order it. Plus I thought the point of going to a store was to come home with the product in hand not have them say to you 'oh we can order it', well so can I and cheaper at that.

When I was looking for point and shoots... Target had a display with only half the display models available and half of those wouldn't power on, Officedepot got rid of all their display models and only offers a choice between 4 models and Hhgregg has a display, half of it is empty and nothing powered up, I asked the sales rep and he said there hasn't been power to the cameras since the store opened!

I also believe it about Radio Shack, just recently I went in for a FM trap and F-connector terminators for my hdtv and the sales rep was clueless, luckily the store manager knew where they were.

I think in the future shopping centers and big box stores will cease to exist and residential will take over the land they once sat on.

-Feedback-

Acetoolguy
401 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 31, 2014 06:46 |  #6

Consumers told retailers a long time ago they care more about price than service. That's why Wal-Mart runs a 125,000 sq foot store with 3 open cash registers and 3 people on the floor.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 31, 2014 06:50 |  #7

You can't compete with walmart on price. You have to compete with quality and service. You still might lose but at least you have a shot depending upon the business...

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 31, 2014 07:39 |  #8

As the commercial says: "You go to B&H!" ;)

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 31, 2014 11:55 |  #9

Face-to-face transactions are increasingly backward and outdated for a whole lot of products, and retailers know that. Given that I can have the specifications for any recent camera model in front of me in seconds, I don't expect the clerk in a store that sells cameras to do much more than be polite and handle my credit card. I also don't expect stores to stock anything but the basics. They'd be foolish to try to compete with online retailers.

What irks me is when retail employees are indifferent, discourteous, or petulant. I've visited stores where you can enter, shop, make a purchase, and leave without any employee uttering a single word to you or even seeming to know you're present. That I don't like.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,412 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 31, 2014 14:43 |  #10

... But she's good at unloading the shipments, stocking the shelves, taking inventory and working cheap. That's all that most retailers want.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 31, 2014 15:05 |  #11

I do all my research online and if I want to go hands on, I find a store that has the item I want. I don't NEED to talk to the salesperson, they haven't got the indepth knowledge that I have. I've read consumer reports, reviews, read up on the specs. I just want them to hand me the camera or whatever and leave me alone while I play with it. It's too bad that so many shops give the experience you described. Not everyone prefers to purchase things the way that I do, but it seems more and more people are forced to do it because of the lack of product knowledge in the stores.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 31, 2014 15:56 |  #12

AlFooteIII wrote in post #17243436 (external link)
As the commercial says: "You go to B&H!" ;)

online B&H that is because the times I've been to the physical store, the service has been sub-par, not very helpful nor friendly at all.

I'm fortunate to have The Camera Store a couple of blocks away from work and have always been happy with their service.
Their staff are real photographers and passionate at what they do.
One of staff actually gave me his extra Leica CTOOM flash bracket since I was looking to use a flash and external VF on my M3

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 31, 2014 16:25 |  #13

I actually have a great camera store within walking distance of my house, but I would never waste their time if I'm not going to buy there, which I often do. But I have no qualms about doing it at a big box store, although I completely recognize the hypocrisy of it all. : ) I'm told that B&H customer service phone guys just want to take your order and don't want to bother answering questions. don't know if that is true or not, but that is their reputation. I love B&H though.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 31, 2014 18:31 |  #14

suecassidy wrote in post #17244249 (external link)
I do all my research online and if I want to go hands on, I find a store that has the item I want. I don't NEED to talk to the salesperson, they haven't got the indepth knowledge that I have. I've read consumer reports, reviews, read up on the specs. I just want them to hand me the camera or whatever and leave me alone while I play with it. It's too bad that so many shops give the experience you described. Not everyone prefers to purchase things the way that I do, but it seems more and more people are forced to do it because of the lack of product knowledge in the stores.

If you don't 'need' a salesperson then why pay a premium to buy from a physical store? Quite often prices in stores are at least 10% more expensive than online. This premium is what I am prepared to pay as a trade off for having someone to answer my questions.

Otherwise there is no point.

Overread
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 31, 2014 18:41 |  #15

On the other side of the coin;

1) A lot of retail stores are now giving only part time ours and often random hours/days each week to employees - its not a stable form of income nor designed to be a long term job like that.

2) Many shops recycle low level staff a lot.

3) as a result of 1 and 2 many shops also hire in student staff during select periods of the year/term.

If you combine those three points staff just have less inclination to learn about the shops market because there is no long term bonus for them. They get paid the same rate and chances are they will be moving along quick anyway.

My sister has also found that this less organised approach also means that staff training, even in big chain store setups, can end up a mess. Staff are "supposed" to get it but multiple things get in the way (She's worked for several places now - most of them ended up with the training being skipped or missed because of various reasons or organisational mistakes).

Of course poor staff means less potential sales - sadly a I think a lot of shops rely upon people walking in and knowing what they want; or shoppers of a level where just re-reading the back of the packet is enough for them (they mostly want to talk about and be convinced to purchase rather than have a real in-depth discussion).

Coupled with high rents - high rates - etc.... its no wonder many highstreet shops close (many have to be online now to make ends-meat - at which point if they do well many drop the highstreet store - its far cheaper to run a wearhouse - maybe even with a showroom - than it is to have a highstreet store).

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

24,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it any wonder shops are closing down...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.