Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ten of the Most Expensive Photographs Ever Sold.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,704 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2014 16:33 |  #31

john5189 wrote in post #17240159 (external link)
We all want to find a rich mug!
Nothing wrong with making a rich dim-wit willingly part with some of their fortune for an ephemeral status symbol.

So the guy making over 2 million dollars on 30K investment in 20 years is a dim wit? :lol::lol:

Yeah about the way most around here think.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 29, 2014 16:49 |  #32

PhotosGuy,

That was awesome. Thanks for posting the link.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 29, 2014 21:12 |  #33

gossamer88 wrote in post #17240017 (external link)
Can't believe 'Afghan Girl' isn't on the list.

I can remember the first time I saw Afghan Girl on the magazine stand. I just went WOW. I've been a Steve McCurry fan ever since.

Another image that had a profound effect on me was the pic of Kim Phuc after her village was napalmed. If you do a bit of reading, check out The Girl in the Picture. A very good read.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

gossamer88
"something else"
1,613 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 30, 2014 08:32 |  #34

yogestee wrote in post #17240828 (external link)
I can remember the first time I saw Afghan Girl on the magazine stand. I just went WOW. I've been a Steve McCurry fan ever since.

Another image that had a profound effect on me was the pic of Kim Phuc after her village was napalmed. If you do a bit of reading, check out The Girl in the Picture. A very good read.

Interesting. McCurry finally met his subject a few years ago. He even took her picture again.

IMAGE: http://s.ngm.com/afghan-girl/images/afghan-girl.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://ngm.nationalgeo​graphic.com …04/afghan-girl/index-text  (external link)

5D Mk IV | 7D Mk II | 24-105L v1 | 70-200mm IS II | 100-400mm IS II | Sigma 150-600mm C
85mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22mm USM | iPhone X | 60D

flickr (external link)

yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 30, 2014 09:12 |  #35

gossamer88 wrote in post #17241489 (external link)
Interesting. McCurry finally met his subject a few years ago. He even took her picture again.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://ngm.nationalgeo​graphic.com …04/afghan-girl/index-text  (external link)

Yeah,, I saw the doco. Interesting how they finally caught up with her.

My wife calls this pic my 'Afghan Girl'. I took this in a little village in the mountains of northern Laos nine years ago. I'd love to go back and find her to get an updated shot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jurgen

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 30, 2014 09:54 |  #36

Regarding the 10 most expensive photos:
One doesn't buy the "Art".
One buys the "Artist".

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 30, 2014 10:18 |  #37

andrikos wrote in post #17241646 (external link)
Regarding the 10 most expensive photos:
One doesn't buy the "Art".
One buys the "Artist".

Which may often become a mistake -- after spending that kind of money, I'd prefer to enjoy what I would buy with it, if I had it to begin with - which I don't. Nothing here I'd hang on my walls tho' ... Maybe Billy the Kid, for it's historic significance.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 30, 2014 12:29 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

boring, all of them. does nothing for me

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 30, 2014 23:53 |  #39

Karl Johnston wrote in post #17241923 (external link)

Couldn't agree more Karl. Most held my attention for about 10 seconds. The Billie the Kid shot for 15 because of its historical significance.

Jurgen

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 31, 2014 11:43 |  #40

Karl Johnston wrote in post #17241923 (external link)

Same here... The Billy the Kid one was the only cool one... But if I would have passed by that in a store and it was on sale for $50, I likely would have passed on it then too! :D

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 31, 2014 13:14 |  #41

clearly the forum is not a place for art photography, looking at the comments. if you don't know what concept Sherman has been developing for her entire career of course you wont appreciate her images, as her work is as much about the concept behind as it is about the image. she plays with traditional pop culture cliches, so a lot of her images are purposely gaudy. art is not always "nice to look at", at least not since the impressionist.

great link PhotosGuy :D

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 31, 2014 13:36 |  #42

ziemowit wrote in post #17244029 (external link)
clearly the forum is not a place for art photography, looking at the comments. if you don't know what concept Sherman has been developing for her entire career of course you wont appreciate her images, as her work is as much about the concept behind as it is about the image. she plays with traditional pop culture cliches, so a lot of her images are purposely gaudy. art is not always "nice to look at", at least not since the impressionist.

great link PhotosGuy :D

Well of course there is 'art', and then there is 'good art', and the definitions of those tend to change between people.

I think there are a lot of artists out there doing cool and neat things, which I think are important to our cultural development, but I personally find the work they produce to be utterly boring and uninteresting to look at more than once or twice. It is the kind of thing that deserves to be on public display. Something that would stay out for a time while it is highly relevant to the current time period, and then shifted over to a rotating collection where they bring 'historic' pieces out for a few weeks every now and then.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Tedder
389 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 31, 2014 14:01 |  #43

ziemowit wrote in post #17244029 (external link)
clearly the forum is not a place for art photography, looking at the comments. if you don't know what concept Sherman has been developing for her entire career of course you wont appreciate her images, as her work is as much about the concept behind as it is about the image. she plays with traditional pop culture cliches, so a lot of her images are purposely gaudy. art is not always "nice to look at", at least not since the impressionist….

Yeah, phooey on the plebeians who prefer nice-to-look-at art and who don't appreciate that Cindy Sherman has developed a concept her entire career!

Thankfully, some of us know better.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link)
Classical Beam Theory Revisited (external link)
Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 31, 2014 14:06 |  #44

Tedder wrote in post #17244121 (external link)
Yeah, phooey on the plebeians who prefer nice-to-look-at art and who don't appreciate that Cindy Sherman has developed a concept her entire career!

Thankfully, some of us know better.

well, some people prefer waterfalls to concepts. god bless them too.

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

Tedder
389 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 31, 2014 14:15 |  #45

ziemowit wrote in post #17244138 (external link)
well, some people prefer waterfalls to concepts. god bless them too.

Yes, but only upon getting a thumbs-up from Cindy Sherman can those poor rubes rest in the assurance that they've received approval from on high.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link)
Classical Beam Theory Revisited (external link)
Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

sponsored links

22,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ten of the Most Expensive Photographs Ever Sold.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.