Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 30 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Football advice..

OwensSi
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 30, 2014 11:39 |  #1

I did a search and really couldn't find any threads with advice which is pretty surprising.

I love football so I know it pretty well but this will be my first time shooting it. So advice or tips on location would be extremely helpful!

I think I have the gear down:
1d Mark IV
400 2.8
70-200
50, 24-70 or 16-35?

Mike

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,317 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 30, 2014 11:47 |  #2

Like putting, don't walk in another shooter's line. Go around behind them.

You'd be surprised how many shooters don't get this.

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 30, 2014 11:57 |  #3

Oh no, I definitely know that lol. I have some experience shooting a wide range of sports except for football.

UTgws
183 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 30, 2014 12:19 |  #4

Shoot from knees if they are not wore out :-). With the 1D4 and a 400mm, you can easily cover everything from mid field in from the endzone, I like to set up about 5 to 10 yards toward the middle from the side lines to give a good view down the sidelines and across the field. With the players box between the 25's you are pretty restricted along the sidelines but there are opportunity there too, you just sometimes wind up with a play right on top of you pretty quickly if you have the 400 up.

Gary
Started shooting sports in high school in 1975, after high school, took a 35 year nap from photography and picked it back up in 2012 and getting more serious with the art.
Gear - Some Canon camers and lenses.

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 30, 2014 12:29 |  #5

UTgws wrote in post #17241896 (external link)
Shoot from knees if they are not wore out :-). With the 1D4 and a 400mm, you can easily cover everything from mid field in from the endzone, I like to set up about 5 to 10 yards toward the middle from the side lines to give a good view down the sidelines and across the field. With the players box between the 25's you are pretty restricted along the sidelines but there are opportunity there too, you just sometimes wind up with a play right on top of you pretty quickly if you have the 400 up.

I've noticed people shooting from the end-zone with the 400, then have the 50 ready in case a deep pass is thrown towards them.

For passes, When the receiver goes to catch the ball, he has to turn around so I would think I would need to be behind the play?

UTgws
183 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 30, 2014 13:49 |  #6

You do have a better chance of face and eyes in the shot from behind on pass plays most of the time. If you are shooting a pass happy team it may be something to factor in. Of course you can catch those from the endzone too, just going away from you.

Gary
Started shooting sports in high school in 1975, after high school, took a 35 year nap from photography and picked it back up in 2012 and getting more serious with the art.
Gear - Some Canon camers and lenses.

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 30, 2014 14:59 |  #7

From the sidelines, it is tough to shoot from behind the LOS and get pass receivers looking back to make the catch unless it is a route across the middle. Short routes to the far side will have too many players in between you and the play to get a clean shot. Routes to the near side will often be too close to the sideline to give you a clean view without someone getting in the way (coaches, refs, players, etc.).

The easiest place to shoot passing plays is from behind the end zone when the team with possession is behind the 50 if you are using the 400. Once the ball passes the 50, I find it better to be in the other end zone or on the side lines at about the 10 shooting the play (of any type) coming to you.

Otherwise, from behind the LOS you can shoot the QB/RB handoffs, the QB throwing, the defensive players coming in, and sometimes a good shot of a sack.

If you'll have 2 bodies, put the 400 on one and the 70-200 on the other. Leave the 50 and 16-35 at home. Maybe take the 24-70 if there is some value to the on the field crowd shots post game and if you can get close.

Also, learn the team's play tendencies as it will help you set up for a shot. You'll find it difficult to switch cameras mid play as you see it's a pass or a run.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 30, 2014 15:50 |  #8

Here's a pretty good thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735799

If you searched in this forum, keep in mind, this is the "photo sharing" section.

Here's the discussion section:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=117

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Matt_Ferris
301 posts
Gallery: 131 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2014 17:12 |  #9

^^^Great info in that thread, John! Thanks for the link.

Regular updates on my Instagram accounts.
Toy Photography..........w​ww.Instagram.com/matt.​burn
Sports photography.....www.in​stagram.com/mattburn_p​hotography

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 31, 2014 07:06 |  #10

PhotoGeek wrote in post #17242223 (external link)
From the sidelines, it is tough to shoot from behind the LOS and get pass receivers looking back to make the catch unless it is a route across the middle. Short routes to the far side will have too many players in between you and the play to get a clean shot. Routes to the near side will often be too close to the sideline to give you a clean view without someone getting in the way (coaches, refs, players, etc.).

The easiest place to shoot passing plays is from behind the end zone when the team with possession is behind the 50 if you are using the 400. Once the ball passes the 50, I find it better to be in the other end zone or on the side lines at about the 10 shooting the play (of any type) coming to you.

Otherwise, from behind the LOS you can shoot the QB/RB handoffs, the QB throwing, the defensive players coming in, and sometimes a good shot of a sack.

If you'll have 2 bodies, put the 400 on one and the 70-200 on the other. Leave the 50 and 16-35 at home. Maybe take the 24-70 if there is some value to the on the field crowd shots post game and if you can get close.

Also, learn the team's play tendencies as it will help you set up for a shot. You'll find it difficult to switch cameras mid play as you see it's a pass or a run.

I will have 3 bodies but I think since it’s my first game, I’ll just use 2. Thank you for the reply. Very useful information =D

John wrote in post #17242321 (external link)
Here's a pretty good thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735799

If you searched in this forum, keep in mind, this is the "photo sharing" section.

Here's the discussion section:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=117

Oh. I never searched in there. I thought since that was in this “sports” forum, it would come up. I guess not. I definitely check that out now and next time.

sun5150
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 02, 2014 01:43 as a reply to  @ OwensSi's post |  #11

When you're on the sidelines don't get too close to the field. I mean like the edge of the playing field and out of bounds.
The reason being is you don't want to be in the action.......getting run over.
Also the referee will be running down the sideline on a pass play and will not see you.

sponsored links

1,668 views & 0 likes for this thread
Football advice..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.