Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 02:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

best lens on a budget for 30 - 100mm

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,332 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 02, 2014 14:10 |  #16

Heya,

Used 18-135 STM. Sell the 17-50 unless you are absolutely in need of the F2.8.

Down the road, add a fast small inexpensive prime if you need wide aperture for creative depth of field or low light shots. F2.8 isn't that fast anyways. A cheap 50 F1.8 or something will cover that.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 02, 2014 14:18 |  #17

aggieoutlaw wrote in post #17247961 (external link)
.... The 18-135 is an outstanding almost-super-zoom. Remarkably, the IQ rivals, perhaps even beats, the 24-105. But the 24-105 gives you an extra stop of light at the long end, it has better bokeh (IMO), and you can use it on a full frame if you upgrade....

If you have to get rid of a lens to fund a new acquisition, and you can't lose any focal range, Ralph's recommendation is correct. Sell the 17-50 and get the 18-135. But recognize that you'll lose 1-2 stops of light.

I agree. It really comes down to whether (1) 24mm will be wide enough for the OP and (2) whether he can get by without a fixed/faster aperture. If he can, then the 18-135mm STM will serve him well. He could always pic up a cheap nifty fifty for portrait and low light situations if necessary. These are all affordable options....

BTW, I love my 24-105mm L and prefer the constant aperture. It actually serves "me" well as a general walk around lens.

Good luck to the OP in his decision and hoped we offered some insight.

Ralph

P.S. MalveauX beat me to it. Anyhow, just what he said....

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

booboos
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 02, 2014 15:04 |  #18

Mega help. Thanks guys. Pls keep the ideas coming.

40d, canon 70-200 f/4 IS L, tamron 17-50 f/2.8, kenko pro 300 x1.4

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 02, 2014 18:05 |  #19

get a 18-135mm STM and throw a 40mm f2.8 in the pack for when you need a little more aperture. (or 35mm f2 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 depending on budget)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,172 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 03, 2014 08:39 |  #20

MalVeauX wrote in post #17248005 (external link)
Heya,

Used 18-135 STM. Sell the 17-50 unless you are absolutely in need of the F2.8.

Down the road, add a fast small inexpensive prime if you need wide aperture for creative depth of field or low light shots. F2.8 isn't that fast anyways. A cheap 50 F1.8 or something will cover that.

Very best,

^^This. A slower, general purpose zoom combined with a fast prime can be a great combination. I have built my full frame kit around this concept, and it works quite well.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
best lens on a budget for 30 - 100mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.