Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 02, 2014 17:21 |  #766

No, that just means the index finger dial is shutter and the rear dial is apterture adjustment, just as you would expect on a dual wheel Canon. You could reverse them if you wanted to or assign a couple of another adjustments to the rear dial, but I am not sure why you would.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links
jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 02, 2014 17:24 |  #767

ScPhotoMom wrote in post #17248277 (external link)
I went out this morning with the intent of finding a bird since it seems like thats what every one here shoots. Had myself a little adventure. Was winding down roads to chase these birds I could see from an insane distance. I used all 65 points and then point focus to tell the camera where to start and it focused nicely on 2 of 4 shots I took. Im struggling with it. Do I put the camera in continuous shooting mode and all servo and just fire away and it will keep following the bird? or do I do one shot and al servo and refocus with each shot?

Obviously I needed to get closer and realized I really need a new lens. I drove and I saw this little field with a pull off and I attempted to turn into the driveway with my sonata and overshot the drive way, sending my car into a 3 foot deep ditch. So there I was with my front drivers side wheel in the ditch, unable to even touch the ground, my back passenger tire about 2 feet in the air and the other two tires teetering back and forth because my drivers side kick plate was sitting on the edge of the drive. All I could think was "over a bird" and "my husband is going to kill me" lol. 45 minutes later and a cop and passerby jumping up and down in my trunk, we finally rocked the car enough for my front wheel drive to catch the grass and pull forward.

I continued on my bird watching journey because of course all the noise scared away the birds I was seeking. On the side of the road, I found my next bird and he was not a moving subject, but I have bird shots.

For birds in flight, put in AI Servo and High Speed Continuous. Also, it helps if you have the AF point on the bird and track for a second or so before firing. It lets the AF system acquire the target and use a little data for better movement prediction. You can use all points AF, Zone, etc. Generally speaking though a single AF point or one of the expanded options steadily on the bird will yield better results in my experience. When you take images, it is best to fire 4 or 5 shot bursts rather than laying down like a machine gun. When the mirror flips up, it blocks the AF sensors. So doing bursts rather than machine guy style actually lets the AF sensors "see" the subject more resulting in better tracking my experience. Also, the larger amount of the frame the bird takes up, usually better tracking and of course detail.

Jason

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 02, 2014 17:26 |  #768

I went out this morning with the intent of finding a bird since it seems like thats what every one here shoots. Had myself a little adventure. Was winding down roads to chase these birds I could see from an insane distance. I used all 65 points and then point focus to tell the camera where to start and it focused nicely on 2 of 4 shots I took. Im struggling with it. Do I put the camera in continuous shooting mode and all servo and just fire away and it will keep following the bird? or do I do one shot and al servo and refocus with each shot?

Obviously I needed to get closer and realized I really need a new lens. I drove and I saw this little field with a pull off and I attempted to turn into the driveway with my sonata and overshot the drive way, sending my car into a 3 foot deep ditch. So there I was with my front drivers side wheel in the ditch, unable to even touch the ground, my back passenger tire about 2 feet in the air and the other two tires teetering back and forth because my drivers side kick plate was sitting on the edge of the drive. All I could think was "over a bird" and "my husband is going to kill me" lol. 45 minutes later and a cop and passerby jumping up and down in my trunk, we finally rocked the car enough for my front wheel drive to catch the grass and pull forward.

I continued on my bird watching journey because of course all the noise scared away the birds I was seeking. On the side of the road, I found my next bird and he was not a moving subject, but I have bird shots.

You were definitely working hard to get your birds! :D

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2014 17:33 |  #769

Well it looks like you ended up with some pretty good shots, but what an adventure.

I think this camera is so well suited to wildlife that we will always see lots of those types of shots here.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 02, 2014 17:45 |  #770

jase1125 wrote in post #17248307 (external link)
For birds in flight, put in AI Servo and High Speed Continuous. Also, it helps if you have the AF point on the bird and track for a second or so before firing. It lets the AF system acquire the target and use a little data for better movement prediction. You can use all points AF, Zone, etc. Generally speaking though a single AF point or one of the expanded options steadily on the bird will yield better results in my experience. When you take images, it is best to fire 4 or 5 shot bursts rather than laying down like a machine gun. When the mirror flips up, it blocks the AF sensors. So doing bursts rather than machine guy style actually lets the AF sensors "see" the subject more resulting in better tracking my experience. Also, the larger amount of the frame the bird takes up, usually better tracking and of course detail.

Thank you! I am going to figure this out. There is a duck pond up the road I am going to try probably Friday :-)

And yes, today was quite an adventure lol

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,496 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 02, 2014 18:24 as a reply to  @ post 17248298 |  #771

Kickflipkid687 wrote in post #17248220 (external link)
Wait, so u can change the 2 dials and have it switch between AV/TV or what?

Yes. You can swap the dials if you prefer.

Ok, so one more comparison between the 7DI and 7DII:

Gallery ISO 100 - 12800 w/ both bodies: https://www.flickr.com …k/sets/72157646​769942864/ (external link))

So far, the lower ISOs seem pretty much the same up to ISO 800; but, from there the MkII's noise patterns are much less bothersome and much easier to process. I am particularly liking the 1600 - 6400 range now.

These were all shot in the 1600 - 3200 range:
3200:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7528/15509601759_851988f2f8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pCwL​fT  (external link)
7DII_3200-0024 (external link) by Guideon72 (external link), on Flickr

1600:
IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3939/15509602339_1ed58d6702_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pCwL​qT  (external link)
7DII_1600-0044 (external link) by Guideon72 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7466/15076130563_b518ea5f8d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oYe7​nz  (external link)
7DII_1600-0070 (external link) by Guideon72 (external link), on Flickr

I still need to go through and MFA all of my lenses and whatnot, but so far this is a great body to have.

And, since there's discussion going on in here, a quick list of things I'm enjoying over the MkI that may/may not have been included in the marketing materials:
- Gasket seal around lens mount to mate up with your weather-sealed lenses
- Locking dial for shooting modes
- AF select lever
- Move of the DoF preview button
- Ability to configure bracketed shots of 2, 3, 5 or 7
- "Same expo for new aperture":

This might be one of the coolest adjustments I've seen in a while. In M, when zooming a variable aperture lens or throwing on a lens with a different aperture than the previous one, the camera will adjust either ISO or shutter speed [configurable] to maintain the previous exposure.

- Ability to specify 'usable' shutter speed and aperture ranges
- Ability to set continuous shooting speed for High, Low and Silent.

Range is:
High: 4 - 10/fps
Low: 1 - 9/fps
Silent: 1 - 4

- Updates to the viewfinder to allow warnings and other various shooting info to be displayed without having to remove the eye from the VF.
- Multi-function Lock configuration: Set which controls get locked out when the multi-function Lock switch is engaged
- Set minimum shutter speed to use with Auto ISO
- Ability to continue to set EC when using Auto ISO
- In camera multi-exposure blending/in camera HDR
- Built-in Intervalometer - Basic but nice to have. Hh/Mm/Ss + # of shots
- Built-in Bulb timer - Finally...I've wanted this one in-camera since the 40D
- Silent shoot continuous drive

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

abacus022
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 02, 2014 18:40 |  #772

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7522/15510282449_f20d4aca13_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pCAf​AV  (external link) 00000033-2 (external link) by abacus022 (external link), on Flickr

No sharpening, noise reduction, or anything else. Its not the best focused, as I didn't have the focal points set up where I want them yet. I came straight from the store and started firing.

Canon EOS R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 02, 2014 18:40 |  #773

Thanks for your share :-)

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

Mark ­ Theriot
515 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 02, 2014 18:55 |  #774

One warning PhotoMom . . . bird photography is ADDICTIVE! ;)

It takes time and practice but if you find you love it - it's well worth it!

Mark

ScPhotoMom wrote in post #17248337 (external link)
Thank you! I am going to figure this out. There is a duck pond up the road I am going to try probably Friday :-)

And yes, today was quite an adventure lol

Equipment: 800L, 400 DO, 70-300L, 24-105L

Kickflipkid687
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 02, 2014 19:33 |  #775

Did some more comparisons between my 60D and the 7D Mark II, as far as AF Speed/Accuracy and High ISO go.

Things I found:

- The 60D and 7D Mark II AF Speed in One Shot/AI Servo , with the same settings/on a tripod and with a static subject, were actually about the same... In some cases, my 60D was a little faster, but still accurate, which is surprising.... I was racking focus completely from near to far and focusing back to the static subject. I had the Beep turned on, so I knew when it was confirmed.

- I'm not sure what my 60D is rated for, but both cameras focused about the same speed and got stuck/couldn't lock focus up to the same available light. It was quite dark, and they both were racking the focus the same and giving up in the same ways.

The Mark II's Live View is faster/alot faster in some cases, which I knew it could be, based on the Dual Pixel AF. But it still struggles sometimes or fails in cases where I feel maybe it shouldn't.

Overall I like the Mark II. However... I wonder how much better or not it is from the 70D. I know some people said it was giving them issues with AF/BIF shots. The Mark II has more customization of course.

I felt like the AF was faster/better when I was doing wildlife shots this weekend. I had quite alot of shots in focus, but also a chunk of misses where I felt it should have/could have done better. But that could have been the Tamron failing, or me not giving it enough time to acquire AF.

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/ (external link)

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,216 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 02, 2014 19:44 as a reply to  @ Kickflipkid687's post |  #776

Interesting Kickflip...

I hit a wall this morning that I need to figure out with my 70D... 'close' birds (ok, ducks) in flight filling my frame were never in focus... makes me wonder if my 70-300L IS thought they were closer than the 1m or so MFD and so didn't focus... don't know... but ducks further out were fine

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Kickflipkid687
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 02, 2014 19:54 |  #777

Nice shots! ^

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear what you guys come up with?

Could some of you try comparing them like I did, with your 7D/70Ds?

Use the same lens, same settings, focus on the same static target, while racking focus and see what you get? I counted in my head, but most of the time, it was like 2-3 seconds for them both (60D/Mark II) to lock focus. They were really about dead even, except in a very small percentage of shots, the Mark II stalled for a tiny bit longer before acquiring focus.

I did this test on 3 static targets, in consistent lighting per test. I used the Canon 135 F/2, Canon 70-200 F/4 L IS, and Tamron 150-600.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,216 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 02, 2014 20:00 |  #778

Kickflipkid687 wrote in post #17248554 (external link)
Nice shots! ^

cheers, you have magnificent detail on your green herons with the 60D :cool:

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Kickflipkid687
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 02, 2014 20:03 |  #779

Immaculens wrote in post #17248559 (external link)
cheers, you have magnificent detail on your green herons with the 60D :cool:

Thank you! Yeah, I was extremely close/got lucky. About 2 meters away or so.

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 02, 2014 20:04 |  #780

I'm loving the AF system, it was fast and snappy on this little Marsh Wren that would only stay perched for a few seconds. I think I was using the 9 center points and was about 17ft or so away from the bird.

HOSTED PHOTO

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

sponsored links

7,694,435 views & 96,230 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.