Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your Sorting/Deleting workflow

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,938 posts
Gallery: 249 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 02, 2014 09:40 |  #31

Not really a doh moment Colin, it's just sometimes at an event you don't have time to chimp and delete. Plus it runs the battery down and I don't always carry a spare.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 02, 2014 11:45 |  #32

Colin Glover wrote in post #17247283 (external link)
This may be a "Doh!" moment, but what about chimping whilst you're at a shoot and deleting on camera as you go along? Isn't that why Kodak invented the delete button? I do that before I load images onto my laptop. I don't (until reading this thread) rate images or use the hotkeys, but will be doing from now on. I usually go through them and delete blurred or mega soft images, then work on all the rest. I'll often take similar images and process differently to see what works best without having to export and reset an image. Yes, it might be longer, but it seems to suit me. Does anyone else take this approach?

I wouldn't have time at an event.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 02, 2014 13:03 |  #33

Colin Glover wrote in post #17247283 (external link)
This may be a "Doh!" moment, but what about chimping whilst you're at a shoot and deleting on camera as you go along? Isn't that why Kodak invented the delete button? I do that before I load images onto my laptop. I don't (until reading this thread) rate images or use the hotkeys, but will be doing from now on. I usually go through them and delete blurred or mega soft images, then work on all the rest. I'll often take similar images and process differently to see what works best without having to export and reset an image. Yes, it might be longer, but it seems to suit me. Does anyone else take this approach?

I cull in camera when shooting weddings. I still have to cull on the computer after but it takes a lot less time.

As for normal culling I use Bridge. A simple reject or not. No ratings, no maybes. It is either a keeper or it isn't.

Peter

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 02, 2014 13:43 |  #34

I use ratings, details here. I find it helpful to make images as

1=unusable for a technical reason
2=duplicate image or not worth showing
3=good image
4=image that will probably go into an album
5=image that will go into my portfolio

That system saves me time later. Each to their own, of course.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2014 14:49 |  #35

tim wrote in post #17247937 (external link)
I use ratings, details here. I find it helpful to make images as

1=unusable for a technical reason
2=duplicate image or not worth showing
3=good image
4=image that will probably go into an album
5=image that will go into my portfolio

That system saves me time later. Each to their own, of course.

I had been using a 1-5 rating, but more subjective, I like the list above. More recently I have just been making a quick 1 or 2 and the editing the 2s and moving duplicates down to 1s during that process.

I have not been good about deleting photos. Do you delete the 1s?

As time goes by do you move 5s to 4s?

I think I'll start with something like this in the future. Thanks.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 02, 2014 14:57 |  #36

I delete the 1's after culling is finished, I delete the 2's after the images are presented to the customer (or immediately if they're personal images). 3 and up I keep the RAWs, any PSD files (very few for me), and jpg versions in multiple offsite locations.

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2014 16:10 |  #37

Thanks. I need to get more aggressive about my deletions.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,374 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 02, 2014 19:57 |  #38

Lol. I'm bad at deleting too
I think I'll use the following as my guide. 0=blurry shot or technical issues make it a no,2=something spoiling a shot that cropping or cloning
won't fix, 3= a sharp shot that can be easily edited to enhance it (may need cloning) or I can add my tonal contrast to make slightly OOF shots sharp enough to go on the wedding Disc, 4= shot I think the client would want in an album, and 5= a portfolio shot. I'm nearly finished editing a wedding shoot, and this thread has helped a lot. Thanks.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 03, 2014 01:09 as a reply to  @ post 17123402 |  #39

I often sort my photos in camera mostly. Just simply by protecting it and then delete rest of them. After that I import them to Lightroom and use colors to sort them out. Delete reds and put green ones through post-processing and keywording.

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

swldstn
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 07, 2014 15:23 |  #40

I've just adopted Photo Mechanic. It is the fasted program I've found on the Mac. On the PC/Windows I loved Breeze Systems Browser and Downloader Pro. I've only a few programs that can name files the way I want and Downloader Pro, Ingestomatic, and Photo Mechanic are the only ones that allow full use of EXIF data tags to help build file names and can map a tag through some kind of table lookup.

Since Breeze doesn't support the Mac that only left Ingestomatic but doesn't let you rate and keyword easily. Its injestion capability if very good though and I used it with Lightroom for quite some time. Adobe really needs to improve their naming capability but I doubt they ever will. So Photo Mechanic is now my pre-Lightroom approach.

I ingest and rename using Photo Mechanic. Then review and rate their as well.
Once done I go to Lightroom and have it sync a directory to add in the images left their.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links

5,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your Sorting/Deleting workflow
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.