Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 or 1D Mark IV

RussellJ
217 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 00:22 |  #1

Love looking at this site and learning many things from many of you but now to post. Im action sports shooter along with lifesyle shoots for clothing companys. Right now Im shooting the 5D3 and loving it but not a day goes by that I dont want more speed. No way I go down the route of 1DX right now, amazing camera that I love and will rent from the local shop when the job calls for it.

I have the chance to trade my 5D for a 1D Mark IV in great shape, simple trade no money. My 5D has a Canon Grip as well. I really like the 1D bodys such a step up in build from anything out there, but wondering if it will be worth it since the Mark IV is an older camera. Also the 7D Mark II is a camera that has my eyes on it since I could sell my 5D3 and buy that and have money in the pocket.

I shoot most of my stuff from 100-4000 iso but have a good amount at 6400 and 8000 and even 12800 for MMA and Gym shooting. Most of my work is motocross and downhill where its sunny or cloudy during the day. I need AF that locks and fast FPS like both the 1D and 7D have.

My main lens is the 70-200 but also the 300mm 2.8 I dont print that big if at all but would like good images for selling to riders and magazines that I do work for on freelance. Need something for the next year to get me though till I can afford 1DX used and then use whatever I have as backup. So keep the 5D3, trade for 1d Mark IV, or sell for the 7D Mark II and cash in pocket.

Here are some of the photos that I have taken, resized to fit web. This is the images that Im after day to day.

Downhill Photo was 5D3
Motocross was D7100

Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Outdoor Adventure Photographer
Darktide Photo - darktidephoto.com

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2014 00:37 |  #2

If you want to show your wotk here it will benefit you greatly to use a hosting site like flickr to avoid the drastic quality loss you get from downsizing to fit the size limit.

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 00:55 |  #3

Most of it is on my website but its down at the moment while we are redoing it. But I now see how bad it really is when you resize it.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 04, 2014 02:14 |  #4

I'm going through the same mental dilemma at the moment too. I rocketed right into shooting professional football (soccer) and I'm finding the 5D3 a bit slow too. Don't get me wrong, ISO8000 the other night was clean as a whistle but it would be interesting to see how you get on with it.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2014 02:28 |  #5

Have you looked at the 1D3? I don't know if its got the features you are after but its significantly cheaper than a 1D4. I was thinking of getting a 1D4 a while back until I saw the used prices. I've seen a well used 1D4 go for $3500-$4000CAN. I picked up a very nice condition 1D3 for $900CAN and it compliments the 5D3 nicely.

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 04, 2014 02:44 |  #6

Probably a tough choice between the 1dIV and 7d2.

I use my 1dIV over my 7d and 5d3 as my sports camera but it will be interesting to see how the 7d2 stacks up.

The 1dIV is a proven camera and I feel confident in mine when it comes to getting the shot.

Gear List

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 04, 2014 02:53 |  #7

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #17251073 (external link)
The 1dIV is a proven camera and I feel confident in mine when it comes to getting the shot.

That's the same way I felt about my 1D3, then I got the 5D3 and it felt like I went back to a 7D with better IQ. Hits most of the time but tends to also miss. 1D never failed me.

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 11:53 |  #8

1D3 is a bit old for me, even the 1D Mark IV is up there but for some reason Im really liking the photos out of it. The 7D2 just isnt in the hands of people right now to see all the stuff it can do.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,995 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 04, 2014 12:25 |  #9

I have both bodies. If I were a serious sports shooter, I wouldn't hesitate to go solely with the 1D MkIV and sell the 5D3.

Tim

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,863 posts
Gallery: 2026 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 04, 2014 12:26 |  #10

Heya,

I'd take the 1D4 over the 5D3 for everything except portrait & landscape.

It will do what you're wanting.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 13:24 |  #11

Thanks, but do you think it will still be a good amount better then the 7D mark II body is??

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 04, 2014 13:30 |  #12

I've always considered the 1DIV to be the only upgrade path for me from the 7D for my types of shooting; but now that I have the 7DII in hand, I doubt that dropping back to the older body is not something I'd do (unless the market for the IV tanks and I can pick one up for $900) :p

The AF speed, situational customization, additional pixel resolution and current noise handling of the MkII are great; plus, all of the other control configuration for the MkII is a great bonus.

Of course, take that with the grain of salt that I've never held or shot with a 1DIV.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,918 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 04, 2014 15:16 |  #13

I had a 1D4 and sold it and picked up the 5D3. I needed better high ISO and also serious sports shooting. I was a bit hesitant about the move initially early in the NBA season last year, but after 2 games under my belt and tweaking the AF settings to match the action, the 5D3 performed admirably, as well as the 1D4 for basketball action anyways. There was nothing that the 5D3 missed at.

I suspect that the 1D4 is still about 1/2 to 2/3 stops better than the 7D2, and the 5D3 is easily a full stop better than the 7D2.

Sample at ISO 12800 or higher (something that the 1D4 started to falter at):

IMAGE: http://gerberphotos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20132014-/i-LJnmP7Q/0/X3/5P1B8932-X3.jpg

Multiple Exposure produced some interesting results too
IMAGE: http://gerberphotos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20132014-/i-6d2B8P2/0/X2/5P1B5675a-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,878 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 04, 2014 15:26 |  #14

I own and shoot both the 5D3 and the 1D4.

If I had to pick one, I'd likely keep the 5D3, however, for what you are doing, it sounds like the 1D4 makes more sense.

When I shoot the 5D3, I do not miss the 1D speed even though the 1D bodies are what I've been shooting since 2003, so for me keeping the "Do-All" body would be my preference. From what I read above, you will be happier with the 1D4.

Now of course there's the 7D2, which can be had for considerably less than the loss of a 5D3 with grip.. this part I can not advise on from experience.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 04, 2014 15:34 |  #15

1DIV is probably the best compromise for what you shoot. For many things the 1DIV sits right in the middle between the 5DIII and 7DII while some things it's still sits on top or the others can't even do.

sponsored links

8,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 or 1D Mark IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.