Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Nov 2014 (Monday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on used 1D mark III

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 04, 2014 04:40 |  #16

The 1D3 is the camera I used last year for news stuff. Funnily enough it's where I made most of my money last year lol.

sponsored links
Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 04, 2014 09:52 as a reply to  @ Paulstw's post |  #17

Does anyone know wich SDHC cards are ok to use with this camera? I have Sandisk Extreme, Extreme Pro and Plus series (all 16gb) and also couple older Kingstons (8gb). Are these good to go? I would like to use Plus series since they are the fastest I have (80mb/s) but are they compatible with 1DIII?

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 07, 2014 15:26 |  #18

I had done all the homework on this but have since forgotten most of it. What I remember is this: today's cards are faster than the 1D3 can write so go a step or two down from fastest cards to save money. Secondly, this camera writes faster to the SD card than the CF, so I swapped from what I used to do and now write my RAWS to the SD and jpegs to the CF. Again, this is all by memory and vast searching for answers but as always YMMV.

Randy...

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2014 02:32 |  #19

dog rocket wrote in post #17258235 (external link)
I had done all the homework on this but have since forgotten most of it. What I remember is this: today's cards are faster than the 1D3 can write so go a step or two down from fastest cards to save money. Secondly, this camera writes faster to the SD card than the CF, so I swapped from what I used to do and now write my RAWS to the SD and jpegs to the CF. Again, this is all by memory and vast searching for answers but as always YMMV.

I think your memory is correct when you state "today's cards are faster than the 1D3 can write so go a step or two down from fastest cards to save money". My 1D3 came with 30 MB/s Sandisk cards (both CF and SD) which seem fast enough, and when I tried 400X Lexar CFs in it there was no improvement.

I didn't know about "this camera writes faster to the SD card than the CF cards", so I haven't done that; I'll pass on that info for the 1D3's new owner to try ... she's changing hands next week ...

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 08, 2014 14:00 |  #20

But all cards should be "safe" to use on 1D3? Or if its not compatible probably camera will not read it.

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2014 16:59 |  #21

Photo123abc wrote in post #17259633 (external link)
But all cards should be "safe" to use on 1D3? Or if its not compatible probably camera will not read it.

Every SD card of any type and size I tried in it in 20 months worked fine. The speed of operation is just slowed to the camera's maximum if the card is too fast.

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 08, 2014 19:57 |  #22

According to Rob Galbraith the fastest cards in a 1D3 were the Sandisk Extreme 3 8GB SD cards. A friend of mine bought a couple for his 1D3 and they were certainly faster than the Sandisk Extreme 4 8GB CF cards.
The 1D3 seems to be the only DSLR that is actually quicker with SD cards!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

wakarimasen
81 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2014 02:47 |  #23

johnf3f wrote in post #17260084 (external link)
According to Rob Galbraith the fastest cards in a 1D3 were the Sandisk Extreme 3 8GB SD cards. A friend of mine bought a couple for his 1D3 and they were certainly faster than the Sandisk Extreme 4 8GB CF cards.
The 1D3 seems to be the only DSLR that is actually quicker with SD cards!

This confirms something that I suspected. I used my Mark III recently for a school rugby game, and thought it seemed quicker somehow. When I went to review the pictures on my PC I realised I'd removed the CF card (for use in my 5D) and was using the SD card.

RoyM

tap tap tap...

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 09, 2014 14:07 |  #24

wakarimasen wrote in post #17260513 (external link)
This confirms something that I suspected. I used my Mark III recently for a school rugby game, and thought it seemed quicker somehow. When I went to review the pictures on my PC I realised I'd removed the CF card (for use in my 5D) and was using the SD card.

RoyM

Surprising isn't it!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 10, 2014 01:09 |  #25

Maxdave, we haven't crossed paths before, but I could have written all your posts from this thread! I am on my 2nd 1D3. I didn't buy it a 2nd time because of the value. I bought it because I loved the images from my first one so much more than the 1D4 I replaced it with. I feel that the images from this camera are compelling. Skin tones are some of the best I've seen and it looks very warm - not in color, but in comfort and overall appearance... seamless, if you will. My 1D4 felt very digitally processed to me in comparison. If it were not for the resolution, I would keep this camera forever. I think 16-18MP is the sweet spot for me for resolution. Right now I share duties between the 1D3 (sports) and 6D (alternative lenses).

Sorry to hear it sounds that you'll be passing your 1D3 along to someone else. Hope it's not for a 1D4! lol.

Randy...

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2014 05:59 |  #26

dog rocket wrote in post #17262333 (external link)
Maxdave, we haven't crossed paths before, but I could have written all your posts from this thread! I am on my 2nd 1D3. I didn't buy it a 2nd time because of the value. I bought it because I loved the images from my first one so much more than the 1D4 I replaced it with. I feel that the images from this camera are compelling. Skin tones are some of the best I've seen and it looks very warm - not in color, but in comfort and overall appearance... seamless, if you will. My 1D4 felt very digitally processed to me in comparison. If it were not for the resolution, I would keep this camera forever. I think 16-18MP is the sweet spot for me for resolution. Right now I share duties between the 1D3 (sports) and 6D (alternative lenses).

Sorry to hear it sounds that you'll be passing your 1D3 along to someone else. Hope it's not for a 1D4! lol.

That's exactly what I did.
A former student, who lives in the same town, 10 minutes away, bought it to serve as his backup to a 5D3 (he is starting a Photography Business). Owning it for those 20 months cost me only $150, about a cup of coffee per week, money very well spent!
I loved (or could tolerate) everything about the 1D3 except:
1. The LCD, which was so bad I couldn't tell what was sharp and what wasn't.
2. The age, which meant it would be the next body to be dropped from Canon's serviced list and the CPS qualifying list.
As I said, mine served me well for 20 months (I got it used). It taught me what is special about a pro level body, something I had always wondered about.

I bet I peered over two hundred images before I went out to find a 1D4.
I do landscapes and event photography mostly, with a bit of nature and people thrown in. So, for me, the extra resolution, higher ISO capability, better screen and updated focusing system won out.
But, I agree, nothing I ever owned beat it on portraits ... and those big pixels are super.
Too bad I didn't have the funds (or the will) to keep all three (there's my 5D3 lurking in the cupboard, too, I might add, that I have to "feed" on occasion ...)

BTW, what parts of California are considered the "northern" Sierra? My wife and I visited eastern California in 2012, for a month, driving the RV around and seeing some iconic places ... Death Valley, Yosemite, Mono Lake, Bodie, Bristlecone Pine Forest, etc. ... great area, it made it into our return there list along with Nevada, southern Utah and New Mexico ... hope to back there soon!

Maxdave

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 10, 2014 08:51 |  #27

Oops, didn't mean to make you feel bad... was not really expecting that you went to a 1D4 although I guess that is the logical progression. Yes, the 1D3 does have its limitations... it is an old camera now.

I'm near where gold was discovered, about halfway between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. There's Hwy 49 (you might have found yourself on it during your travels but only if you strayed far enough west from your higher destinations) that runs right along the Sierra Foothills from Oakhurst all the way to Nevada City (and from there it veers off deep and higher into the Sierras). I live between Placerville and Jackson. These towns are worth a visit for their 19th century heritage during the gold rush days. Too many RV's in the summer tho! lol. No problem scooting around them on my motorcycle. :)

Enjoy your 1D4 and do report back on it. I often wonder whether I didn't give mine enough of a chance before jumping ship and still look at used ones for sale now and then...

Randy...

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 14, 2014 08:37 |  #28

Got my 1D3 today, what a camera! Although not too good ISO performance, but I love the AF and fps. And if I need more ISO I can always use 6D. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 14, 2014 12:41 |  #29

how is it not to good ISO performance. I never thought twice shooting ISO 3200 on that camera as it was very clean and even 6400 looked good.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 14, 2014 12:49 |  #30

05Xrunner wrote in post #17271914 (external link)
how is it not to good ISO performance. I never thought twice shooting ISO 3200 on that camera as it was very clean and even 6400 looked good.

Agreed, although it doesn't go to the very high levels of other new bodies (which, frankly, I question the use of anyway....I hate going above 3200 on my 5D3) for a relatively old body, it does very well.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

7,931 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on used 1D mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.