Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My house was burlarized - everything is gone

bobbyt2012
82 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 05, 2014 13:36 |  #1

Hi Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I've been active on the forums or in the photography world in general. I used to do it full time, but I've since dedicated my time to school. I don't get out and shoot much, but it's still nice to have my camera around from time to time.

On Halloween, I went out of town and my house was broken into. The thieves stole my gear bag...which had my 7D, 17-55 2.8, and my 580 EXII in it. They got plenty of other stuff too, but this was the most sentimental to me.

I have long since given up my equipment insurance and my gear is not covered under any type of insurance (renter's / homeowner's / etc). So my question to all of you is what are your experiences with stolen gear? I attached a list of everything, including serial numbers, to the police report. Where do thieves usually fence this sort of stuff? Craigslist? Pawn shops? Ebay? If anyone has any experience, I'd be happy to hear about it!

I've already reported everything as stolen to CPS and I registered my camera as stolen on stolencamerafinder.com

Gripped 7D | 70-200 f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 | 580EX II | 2 x Elinchrom D-Lite 4 | CyberSyncs

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2014 14:00 |  #2

That is no fun. Some people are the lowest.

They will fence it on Craigslist a lot - most consumers there aren't thinking a lot about the source of the stuff, and unlike a pawn shop it won't sit on a shelf or be recorded/reported. I saw a 7D on Craigslist when I was selling my 60D for a ridiculously low price for what they were claiming the camera was and the condition it was in, made me wonder where it came from... Same can be said for eBay, but even that is far more involved for someone trying to sell it as they have to ship it etc - it is much easier to make up a story about the gear and just unload it in a parking lot locally.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 14:02 |  #3

Heya,

Dumb kids will sell on craigslist and try pawn shops.

Experienced thieves just sell for cash in another town.

I'm afraid you'll have to just suck it up.

If you ever get gear again, keep your insurance up on it in some way. Insuring a few thousand dollars of equipment is like $10~20 a month, and it pays for itself the moment this kind of thing happens. I know hind sight and all...

Sorry for your loss.

But hey, now you can experiement with some new gear perhaps.

I always shop ebay daily, looking at used Canon XSi's as I get them for $80~100 often in great shape. Solid camera for the cash. I buy them often and re-gift them. Just a thought if you need a SLR in a pinch, shop ebay for a XSi and get a good small prime (40 F2.8, 24 F2.8) or one of the newer STM kits (18-55) and hold out for whatever equipment you're really after.

While I wouldn't expect you to find the equipment, even if they find the thieves, I still wish you good luck.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 05, 2014 14:39 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #4

Good that you have the serial numbers and good descriptions. My brother-in-laws townhouse in Atlanta was hit a few years ago. Made off with several guns, video equipment, etc.,. Almost two years later the police called...had found one of his shotguns in a condo that was being using as a "warehouse" of stolen goods. With serial numbers there is always a chance it might turn up in a police search/bust somewhere.

Having your house broken into is a trauma that people who haven't experienced it simply can't understand.

Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,730 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 05, 2014 14:58 |  #5

Keyan wrote in post #17254107 (external link)
That is no fun. Some people are the lowest.

They will fence it on Craigslist a lot - most consumers there aren't thinking a lot about the source of the stuff, ......

So if someone buys something off craiglist, not knowing where it came from, are they legally receiving stolen goods?

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 05, 2014 15:00 |  #6

Really sorry to hear of your misfortune, a few years ago we were burgled on xmas day (while we were abroad) it's never good. I hope you get everything back in order soon. If you ever need to vent we're here for you! :-)

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2014 15:08 |  #7

Sibil wrote in post #17254222 (external link)
So if someone buys something off craiglist, not knowing where it came from, are they legally receiving stolen goods?

You can never legally receive stolen goods. There is a difference though if you KNOW the goods are stolen vs not knowing. If, for example, you bought the camera on CL with a fake backstory and then went to register it on CPS, Canon should contact the local authorities about the registration and the address of the member, and you'd get a sad knock from the Sheriff and you have to return the goods and hope they can recover your money if they ever catch the guy (unlikely). If you know the goods are stolen and still buy them, then you are an accessory and co-conspirator, and you can be charged with a crime.

It is one of the many risks of buying through cash only basically anonymous transactions.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

speedync
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 05, 2014 16:54 |  #8

Sorry to hear what happened to you. I know how you feel, as I had the exact same thing happen to me just over a year ago. Except they took both my wife's & my laptops as well. Which had everything on them, as we no longer have/use desktop computers. To say I was gutted would be understating things severely. We actually got the wife's laptop back, but not before they (the thieves) had wiped the hard drive. So really would have been better off not getting it back.
You can try that stolen camera finder website, but I've never got a hit yet despite checking every few weeks for over a year. I was lucky that my household insurance covered my gear, & I had most of my photos/documents backed up on a hard drive. Cheers

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 05, 2014 17:22 |  #9

this is sad to hear,but i hope you come back to photography soon!i keep my camera gear in a large gun safe from the days i was into guns,checking the sn# with the police dept.was good thinking and posting hear was another good idea,but this is always sad to hear and i hope you get your gear back one day soon.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 05, 2014 17:36 |  #10

Look at the upside.

It's a great excuse to get yourself a real camera of full frame variety ;)

Or something smaller like EOS M which is more convenient to carry around.

I've had a break-in. I'm grateful for the reminder that the only thing that's between my stuff and the street is a locked door one one side and a pane of glass on the other.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 05, 2014 17:41 |  #11

Replace your 7D with the new 7D2

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,041 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 05, 2014 21:36 |  #12

You have my sympathy - my house has been burgled 4 times!
I never lost anything expensive but I did loose a few items that are irreplaceable - it hurts!

As to your camera gear there is a lot of good used gear out there and, if it gets stolen/damaged, you won't feel so bad as if you had bought it new.

The next thing to do is make certain it is covered "All Risks" by your house insurance or get a separate policy for your photography stuff.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2014 23:42 |  #13

Post your serial numbers so we can keep a look out as well.. the more who know

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

Mark_ms
124 posts
Joined May 2013

Nov 05, 2014 23:47 |  #14

Sibil wrote in post #17254222 (external link)

This thread from started by bucketman will answer your question https://photography-on-the.net …t=839212#goto_t​hreadtools
An epic story....

Gear: yeah I have some...

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 05, 2014 23:53 |  #15

report the serials to canon, they actually keep track on some of that stuff. also there are some websites where you can track images that may have been produced with your camera via the serial.

keep an eye on your craigslist and any cities within a couple hundred miles.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,437 views & 0 likes for this thread
My house was burlarized - everything is gone
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.