Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II and Lightroom CC import trouble

Greg_8
551 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 05, 2014 15:15 |  #1

The fact that Creative Cloud LR cannot yet import 7D Mark II Raw files is documented. But is anyone also having trouble importing JPEGs into CC LR?

LR does not see thumbnails to import JPEGs as saved on the camera card.
If I copy the JPEG to the hard drive, LR still does not see the images to import them.

But if I simply copy the pictures from the hard drive and make a copyof each image, even in the same folder on the hard drive, LR will see and can import those JPG copies.

It just does not make any sense.

I'm using a MAC and OS Yosemite 10.10.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,129 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2014 15:20 |  #2

Raw files are not all the same. Adobe has not had sufficient time to reverse engineer the new files. Give it a few days it also doesnt recognize the new camera as a device yet.

Eyeball2
132 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 05, 2014 15:28 |  #3

Did you shoot raw+Jpeg?
Under those conditions LR can hide the Jpegs unless you change your LR preferences.
Edit>Preferences>General>Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos

Greg_8
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 05, 2014 16:27 as a reply to  @ Eyeball2's post |  #4

Eyeball2 - Your answer was the fix. Thousand Thanks.

Very helpful.

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,530 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 05, 2014 16:48 |  #5

1. Install the DPP disk that came with your cam.

2. Go to Canon's website and download DPP4. Not a requirement as the disk that came with you cam will open your 7D RAW files but you many as well be up to date. Do your basic editing there.

3. For LR save the file as a TIFF. If you have PS use the transfer tool.

4. For LR import the TIFF in and do your final editing.

In a few weeks Adobe should update for 7D2 RAW flies. I actually really like DPP4's layout. Adjustments respond faster. Nice to see Canon continues to improve it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Greg_8
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 05, 2014 19:12 |  #6

Thanks digital photographer.

That process is not quite ready yet. DPP4 will not work yet on Mac OS 10.10. Confirmed with Canon tech today who said it is coming but not yet ready for prime time.

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

wmcy
673 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 05, 2014 20:18 |  #7

Greg_8 wrote in post #17254658 (external link)
Thanks digital photographer.

That process is not quite ready yet. DPP4 will not work yet on Mac OS 10.10. Confirmed with Canon tech today who said it is coming but not yet ready for prime time.

Greg,

Thank you for solving that mystery. I have tried to download the Canon software and received the error message. It amazes me that Canon would provide software for their newest cameras and not have it compatible with Mac's software. Unbelievable.

Thanks again.

Canon 5D IV, Canon 24-105 II f/4L IS USM, Canon 35 f2 IS, Canon 100 f/2.8L IS, Godox 860 Kit

Greg_8
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 05, 2014 21:48 |  #8

Gear,

No doubt. The 7DII was highly anticipated. It's not a point and shoot. I too would have thought that Canon would have worked closer with Apple to have DPP SW ready for Apple machines upon release of the Camera.

Same with Adobe. Canon should have also worked with Adobe so 7DII raw files worked in CC upon camera release. You said it well.... Unbelievable.

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,129 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2014 21:49 |  #9

Greg_8 wrote in post #17254981 (external link)
Gear,

No doubt. The 7DII was highly anticipated. It's not a point and shoot. I too would have thought that Canon would have worked closer with Apple to have DPP SW ready for Apple machines upon release of the Camera.

Same with Adobe. Canon should have also worked with Adobe so 7DII raw files worked in CC upon camera release. You said it well.... Unbelievable.

Canon sees them as competitrs rather than collaborators.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,530 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 05, 2014 22:16 |  #10

This is true. Happens with every new camera release. Canon did bundle LR with a camera release in Europe but they are still competitors. Actually Canon really does not have to go this far but DPP is a very good RAW converter for free and Canon is always updating. More than Nikon offers as I understand.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

snerd
655 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 06, 2014 00:53 |  #11

Your perception of how camera makers operate is skewed. As stated above, they make their own software for their cameras, and third-party vendors are viewed as competitors.

ColinM
151 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 08, 2014 20:40 |  #12

I have Zoner Photo Studio 17, and its a cracker! No trouble with recognising RAW files from the 7D Mk2, or anything else that I have thrown at it for that matter. I also have Elements 13 which opens the RAW files from the Mk2 as well.

That said, I agree with those above who made reference to Canon/Adobe tardiness with updates. It really stinks.

Canon 5D MkII and 7D MkII- Lots, Lots of lenses and other bits.:lol: I Like macro. :cool:
If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else

sponsored links

5,723 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Mark II and Lightroom CC import trouble
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.