Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 03 Nov 2014 (Monday) 20:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Japanese maple tree in the fall

et078
THREAD ­ STARTER
590 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 04, 2014 00:20 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #17250938 (external link)
You are a bit sensitive. Nobody is saying it looks bad but the strong saturation is noticable, especially to an experienced photographer. There is a market for this sort of processing so dont take the criticism badly. But dont pretend that you are getting honest critique on flickr.

Not really sensitive, after all, please read my first post where I asked for C&C. I am merely wondering why, out of so many viewers on flickr, no one bothered to mention this. Usually, on flickr, it is either "fave" or comment if you like, or move on if you don't like... I have seen a lot of over-saturated and over-contrasty images on flickr of other photographers, where I just closed the images and moved on. I never "faved" or commented on any one of the ones I didn't like. So, thinking that other people do the same, why am I getting a ton of "faves" and comments there, all positive, of course... I don't understand it, and that's probably why I sound "sensitive" to you...

Your sentence "But dont pretend that you are getting honest critique on flickr." makes no sense to me... Why should I pretend? Sorry, I don't understand the meaning of your sentence.

Sony A7r
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 400mm f/5.6L, 50mm f/1.8 II, 70-200mm f/4L, 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2014 00:34 |  #17

et078 wrote in post #17250957 (external link)
Not really sensitive, after all, please read my first post where I asked for C&C. I am merely wondering why, out of so many viewers on flickr, no one bothered to mention this. Usually, on flickr, it is either "fave" or comment if you like, or move on if you don't like... I have seen a lot of over-saturated and over-contrasty images on flickr of other photographers, where I just closed the images and moved on. I never "faved" or commented on any one of the ones I didn't like. So, thinking that other people do the same, why am I getting a ton of "faves" and comments there, all positive, of course... I don't understand it, and that's probably why I sound "sensitive" to you...

Your sentence "But dont pretend that you are getting honest critique on flickr." makes no sense to me... Why should I pretend? Sorry, I don't understand the meaning of your sentence.

Sorry but your replies in this thread make it seem as if you had never pondered the thought your image might not be universally praised. If you look at the images that are popular on places like flickr and 500px are very strongly processed and often pushed to the limits. Its a popular look and you've made a very nice and commercial image. My point remains that places like flickr, much like facebook, are all about praise and not about honest discussion of the work.

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 04, 2014 06:02 |  #18

Light through leaves is naturally glowing. Light bouncing off the green leaves and moss under the tree is normally more subdued. Lightroom would allow reducing the saturation of only green; and a brushed in lowering of saturation in the shade under the tree would protect the glow of the yellow and red leaves in sunshine and reduce the sense of unnatural, if that was desirable.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 04, 2014 06:45 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #17250975 (external link)
Sorry but your replies in this thread make it seem as if you had never pondered the thought your image might not be universally praised. If you look at the images that are popular on places like flickr and 500px are very strongly processed and often pushed to the limits. Its a popular look and you've made a very nice and commercial image. My point remains that places like flickr, much like facebook, are all about praise and not about honest discussion of the work.

I would agree with gonzo's statement. On many forums people are reluctant to give totally honest, constructive and helpful critique. If there is any negative input it is often considered confrontational or negative.

People love praise and approval - include me also as I am no different - but they often mistakenly think that a large number of "likes" or "views" is the most important critique one should seek. That is one of the problems with many forums. A LIKE can be clicked in a quick second. Useful commentary takes several minutes and thoughtful consideration. Many don't want to invest the time it takes to type out a helpful sentence or two. POTN is different though and you will receive more direct commentary. In addition to being a photographer I am a competition judge and I evaluate thousands of images each year for several arts organizations. I also submit my own work to a number of region museums and juried shows annually.

You have created a well composed, sharp and very pretty photograph that embodies a look that many like today. It has powerful color and would look great on a wall or as screensaver. You enjoy what you create and that is the most important thing. The fact remains that it is over saturated and unnatural looking. There is no subtly of color that is often seen in the great master painters and even many other contemporary photographers. TMC makes a very good point that "light through leaves is naturally glowing. Light bouncing off the green leaves and moss under the tree is normally more subdued." Artists have known this technique for thousands of years. Using adjustment layers in your graphics program would allow you to selectively apply vivid or restrained techniques to different sections of your image. The light coming through the leaves is beautiful. The bright ground moss competes with it though, distracting your attention, pulling your eye away from the beauty of the tree. You end up with too many visual components competing for your attention.

When I give competition critique I tell people the best technique they can use in photo shop is restraint. Just because you can crank the slider up does not mean you should necessarily do so. Still, you have created a pretty picture, it gives you pleasure and that is the most important thing.;) You should not be overly sensitive because people are conveying their honest feelings.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Frank_Hollahan
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 04, 2014 09:24 |  #20

Fantastic composition with awesome colors. Bet it looks great printed and hung.

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Nov 04, 2014 11:43 |  #21

I think this picture is a cool. Like others have said the colors are VERY saturated. But again with that said it is a cool looking picture.

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 04, 2014 12:04 |  #22

This image might be a good candidate for getting printed on metal. The color saturation would probably *really* pop that way.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 04, 2014 14:08 |  #23

Great shot and composition.

I agree with the other comments - this image is oversaturated, but I think that's part of what makes it work so well; It draws out the fall colors. I dont think that calling it oversaturated is a negative in this context, in fact just the opposite, and part of why it'd make a great shot to print and hang.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

kukulkan
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Gallery: 191 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 04, 2014 23:45 |  #24

Very nice composition and a gorgeous tree , I will agree with the critics , in my opinion is also over saturated !! kudos on Flickr

birderman
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2014 07:03 |  #25

I like it and think its very bright and colourful - although I do tend to agree with critics in this forum that from a technical point it is highly saturated, but then if it wasn't you wouldn't of got the results you have and so assume it is intentional.

I would also suggest that this forum people will be viewing with more pronounced interest in Photography and the technical aspects thereof where as on photo sharing communities such as Flickr the majority of users are viewing and liking photographs more for their artistic interpretation and or captures of specific objects/moment (regardless of how poor a quality they are) without necessarily any specific interest in the technical aspects of how the image was created. Therefore I would suggest that comparing comments from sites like Flickr to those on the POTN forums would be like comparing chalk and cheese.

Remember we all see things differently and all have our own ideas what makes a good picture and what doesn't so there is nothing to be gained by assuming that a critic is being personal just because they are giving their opinion on a subject.

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

armis
897 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 05, 2014 08:04 |  #26

I think the image is very saturated too, but that's not necessarily what bothers me about it. High pop colors are fine sometimes and fall scenes lend themselves to this quite nicely. My criticism would be this: look at the background where you can see it through the leaves; look at the places on the branches where they reflect ambient light; look at the top-most part where the red becomes purple. What do you see? Blue cast: the white balance in this shot was way off. To get those reds and yellows, you had to push saturation really high - and as a result, your greens look fluorescent and that's what bothers me the most.

The way I would have done it is FIRST to adjust white balance, which would have naturally warmed up the yellows/reds already, and only then pushed up saturation - probably only on those colors, since you want the blues and greens to remain under control. You would still have in-your-face yellows and reds, but the rest of the scene and the overall color balance would be more believable.

All that being said, I like the composition and in a way, the progression of color, if outlandish, is sort of interesting since it goes though all the colors of the rainbow in the same order.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 05, 2014 20:29 |  #27

The green is glowing.

winam
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 06, 2014 01:51 |  #28

beautiful colors! Great work!

Canon EOS 650D, Canon EOS 1000d, SIGMA DG 18-250m, Canon 18-55mm
http://www.rene-photography.de/ (external link)
Please take a look at my Review for the awesome Daminion Server DAM-System (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,798 posts
Gallery: 1846 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 06, 2014 02:36 |  #29

Beautiful image. No one can say it is over or under, that is up to the artist=you. The sheer number of fav's show that many consider your work artistic and/or pleasing to the eye. Speaking of Flickr I enjoyed many many of your other images as well.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

3,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
Japanese maple tree in the fall
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.