Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 or 1D Mark IV

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 16:15 |  #16

The 5D3 is a great camera, I love everything about it but need more speed. Shooting Motocross and Downhill these guys are really really fast, and if something happens I want to make sure to get it. Im just wondering how is the 1D Mark IV AF against the 5D3 in sports. I tested the 7D the other day at the local shop and its AF was super fast and the 10fps was great, but I know its a hit in image quality and lowlight shooting. I can afford a small hit but I still need sharp images that are good to print if they need to be. I plan on more MMA shooting this year as well so It does need to do High ISO at around 8000 and be usable.

Outdoor Adventure Photographer
Darktide Photo - darktidephoto.com

sponsored links
frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2014 16:32 |  #17

Are you ever focal length limited?

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 17:27 |  #18

I would say no, my 70-200 can met me where I need and I can rent 300, 400, 500mm lens if the job calls for it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,993 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 04, 2014 17:28 |  #19

RussellJ wrote in post #17252340 (external link)
The 5D3 is a great camera, I love everything about it but need more speed. Shooting Motocross and Downhill these guys are really really fast, and if something happens I want to make sure to get it. Im just wondering how is the 1D Mark IV AF against the 5D3 in sports. I tested the 7D the other day at the local shop and its AF was super fast and the 10fps was great, but I know its a hit in image quality and lowlight shooting. I can afford a small hit but I still need sharp images that are good to print if they need to be. I plan on more MMA shooting this year as well so It does need to do High ISO at around 8000 and be usable.

5D3 AF beats the 7D (not the 7D2 though perhaps), have you looked through the different AF configurations to see what you can do to speed this up? Also lens choice makes a huge difference too.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 04, 2014 17:29 |  #20

Which 70-200 do you have?

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 18:41 |  #21

I have the older non IS 70-200, but by speed I mean FPS 6 is good but 10 is going places. All I want is a an AF that is as good as the 5D3, which I know the 7D2 is really good but no clue on the 1D Mark IV

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 04, 2014 19:26 |  #22

Well if it's not the latest AF accuracy will be pretty much the same(unless the 7DII has something even more magical) with latest Canon lenses the 5DIII and I assume the 7DII will have slightly better accuracy. I've found my 1DIV is quicker at locking focus, I'd assume the the 7DII will be about the same as the 5DIII since it uses the same battery. On the 1DIV you can have the active AF point lit up while in servo mode, I'm guessing the 7DII will be like the 5DIII and only have that for AF confirm in one shot.

The 1DIV's battery won't only make it so you don't need to worry about needing to change it during a full day of shooting but it will also not likely even get low enough to slow AF and FPS, 7DII will likely be about the same as the 5DIII but slight better since it has a smaller sensor(unless it has something else to offset the slightly lower power drain of the senor).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,993 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 04, 2014 20:39 |  #23

RussellJ wrote in post #17252591 (external link)
I have the older non IS 70-200, but by speed I mean FPS 6 is good but 10 is going places. All I want is a an AF that is as good as the 5D3, which I know the 7D2 is really good but no clue on the 1D Mark IV

All 1D series have great AF systems, they just get better each iteration, and the 1D4 was the last of the APS-H series. There is only one newer 1D body at this point, the 1DX.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2014 20:59 |  #24

Any chance you could try the 1D4 for a day before the trade?? It would suck to trade the 5D3 for something you might not end up liking/wanting.

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2014 21:19 |  #25

Ill have the chance to play with it for a bit and my thoughts are that its a 1D how bad is a 1D body. I used to shoot t2i and still was able to get shots that events were happy with. I think Ill go for the 1D and if I dont like it after a while sell it and pick up a 7D mark II

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 04, 2014 23:21 |  #26

RussellJ wrote in post #17252861 (external link)
Ill have the chance to play with it for a bit and my thoughts are that its a 1D how bad is a 1D body. I used to shoot t2i and still was able to get shots that events were happy with. I think Ill go for the 1D and if I dont like it after a while sell it and pick up a 7D mark II

Sounds like a good idea :)

Gear List

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 05, 2014 23:47 |  #27

Since I have never shot with a 1D Mark IV I have seen online that most of the stuff is though the Custom Function menu, is that hard to get around. Like on the 5D Mark III I have the really cool menus just for AF and all that plus I can hit a button and scroll though AF settings in the view finder. Can the 1D Mark IV do this or is it a bit slower in changing the settings.

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 06, 2014 00:42 as a reply to  @ post 17252259 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

I've been using the 7D for a few years now (street, reporting but mostly motorsport) and I'm about to move to a 5DIII...

I'm really going to miss the machine gun like 8fps...but I'm looking forward to shooting above ISO200 without ridiculous noise.

It's always a trade off when you can only afford one body...:rolleyes:

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 06, 2014 01:52 |  #29

If I had a 7D, I'd just get a 7D2 and miss out the 5D3 and put the saved cash into something else. What you make up in noise control you loose out in speed. I'd rather have noise in my shots than miss it altogether. When I'm shooting at max aperture of f4 at sports, I find the 5D3 AF struggles a wee bit. It's really in need of 2.8 lenses to get that AF system in full flow. With max aperture of 5.6 at 400, it's going to be worse.

I know a guy who uses a 1D MkIIN for sports and spent all his money on a 300 2.8, and his results are great. I blew my cash on body and stuck with an f4 lens, it's no good.

wakarimasen
90 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 06, 2014 01:58 |  #30

Paulstw wrote in post #17255232 (external link)
I know a guy who uses a 1D MkIIN for sports and spent all his money on a 300 2.8, and his results are great. I blew my cash on body and stuck with an f4 lens, it's no good.

I think this is - in some respects - the 'right' thing to do. The cross-type focus points on the 1D models (before the 1DX) are all F2.8 limited, except for the centre point. With anything higher than F2.8, they become horizontal only.

I considered this when I had my 1D Mark IIn, but I wanted the flexibility of the zoom, plus longer reach than the 70-200 F4 IS that I was using.

tap tap tap...

sponsored links

8,333 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 or 1D Mark IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.