Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mirrorless Camera to Supplement 7D

musicmaster
Saw the Light
853 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2014 13:56 |  #1

I have a 7D (and maybe a 70D if I can get the focus fixed) and have had a lot of great shots with it through the years. I'm not wanting to get rid of my Canon DSLR setup right now, but I've gotten other interests through the years and frankly don't shoot as much. I also travel a ton and it's not easy to go backpacking with a DSLR. So I went to Mirrorless.

My first experience was with the E-PL1. Neat little camera... slow as balls. Got my usage out of it. Upgraded to the Panasonic G3. Love the LCD and video mode and size.... but frankly, I'm disappointed with the photo quality.

I was out in Colorado this summer and had both my 7D/Tamron 17-50 and my Panasonic G3 with me for the hikes

Although I got some good photos from my G3, nothing seemed as sharp or to pop nearly as much as anything from my 7D did -- even with extensive post-processing.

It's bad enough that I often just leave my camera at home and use my LG G2 camera for things. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just don't feel like carrying around any camera when I know I'm not going to get the quality that I get from my DSLR

So I'm back to ground zero.

I don't really want to spend much and I'm OK with used / older models. I just want quality. Size is important. If it's anywhere near a DSLR size, I may as well just get the SL1 and call it a day.

I haven't been super impressed with the Mu 4/3 sensors, except the most recent ones... which means $$. Thus I'm concentrating on the APS-C cameras, mainly the EOS M and the NEX series. I'm leaning toward the Sony NEX-3N with the 16-50 power zoom.

I don't need fancy features. Just something that takes good photos and is compact. To be honest, I leave my mirrorless cameras on the "auto" or "program" modes most of the time anyways. I don't usually have time or care enough to go with manual control. I'll save that for my DSLR when I'm actually shooting.

Gripped 70D, Sigma F/2.8 OS, 70-200L F/2.8, 300L F/4 IS, EOS M5, 18-150, 22 2.0

sponsored links
Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 05, 2014 14:10 |  #2

I don't have an answer for you. In fact, I'm in the same boat - looking for a small, quick, high image quality camera for street photography. I'll never part with my DSLR, but it's a pain to travel with, and not very discreet for street shooting. I'd love to find something that could compete with my 40-year old Leica CL for portability, speed, and image quality, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm sort of sorry that I didn't pick up an EOS M a couple of months ago when they were going for $250, but then again, I'm suspicious of what Canon is intending to do with the format.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2014 18:52 |  #3

Any of the Sony A7 series. I own the A7 and the A7r. Both cracking cameras. Well worth the investment.

Moreover having an EVF means you'd be mad to use anything other than M. It is so easy on them to nail exposure every shot.

Peter

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 05, 2014 19:21 |  #4

How is an A7R an improvement over a DSLR in size? Dimensions are slightly smaller than a 7D but not substantially so.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2014 19:27 |  #5

Snafoo wrote in post #17254667 (external link)
How is an A7R an improvement over a DSLR in size? Dimensions are slightly smaller than a 7D but not substantially so.

Carry a 7D around for a day with say a 35 attached then do the same with an A7r and a 35. Huge difference. 820g v 474g in the body alone. Not too mention the huge weight difference in lenses too. Then there is the fact they are a lot easier to carry around.

You could easily carry an A7r body in a coat pocket and a 35 lens in the other. Try that with the 7D equivalent.

Peter

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 05, 2014 19:45 |  #6

I guess I need to see one in person. I think it looks larger in photos than it really is.

I took my 5DIII, 24-105L and 580EXII on a recent trip to Boston, and by the end of the week, I was ready to chuck the whole lot!

PeteD
Goldmember
2,953 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 05, 2014 19:56 |  #7

Not sure what the OP is using it for. The 7D is more oriented towards sports with a faster frame count. But then he mentions going to a SL1? But either way I would not call the A7r an equivalent to the 7D. Only 4 fps , and a 1/160 flash sync. Yes the A7r has a 36.3mp sensor but unless you are doing portraits and landscapes, it is really not needed.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it!!
52weeks completed (external link)
My 365 thread on the Camel (external link)
P & A Photos Flickr (external link)
P & A Photos Photobucket (external link)

musicmaster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Saw the Light
853 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2014 20:28 |  #8

Yeah guys, I have no want for a large camera. The whole idea is to be small enough to throw in my backpack. I go backpacking (either camping in the woods, or through Europe) and don't have the space to be carrying around my SLR. That's why I'm looking at the NEX series and the EOS-M -- unless the most recent micro 4/3 have really gotten that much better.

Gripped 70D, Sigma F/2.8 OS, 70-200L F/2.8, 300L F/4 IS, EOS M5, 18-150, 22 2.0

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 06, 2014 07:33 as a reply to  @ musicmaster's post |  #9

Have a look at the Sony A6000 - Ive got to say its a great little camera , Ive bought one to go along with my A7r and love it.

179 AF points covering 97% of the frame , 11 FPS , tracking is insane on it.

Bonus for me is I can use the A7r batteries ,Hahnel Remote , Metabones adapter and my EF lenses on both.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 06, 2014 12:25 |  #10

I second the sony A7 series. Pick if faster focusing or clarity/quality are what you need most (will determine A7R vs A7) half the size of my 50D. seriously. The main thing is turn off all the battery eaters, and then be sure to review on the back of the screen and not the EVF - the EVF also eats batteries so use it only to focus, and not for review. Cant beat the image quality for the size coming out of those cameras.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 09, 2014 12:25 |  #11

Anymore, I'd just switch systems if you want to go mirrorless. It's gone WAY past being a DSLR companion.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Joe ­ M
128 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 04, 2014 21:33 |  #12

Hi, I wanted to tell you that I was in the same game. I have a 7D and I was looking for a a mirrorless camera. With the price of the EOS M and the 18-55 that won the game. I thought without the view finder and slow shutter I would be sending it back. Well I was wrong. The EOS M is amazing. I have it for 2 months now and I have taken over 3000 photos and learned how too use it and it is great. I have the Canon adapter and with my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 is the sharpest setup and photos are sharp. You can use your 7D lens on the M and it works well, I even use my 8mm sameynong (iforgot how spell the 8mm). It is manual with no problems.
Good luck.

Canon 7D MK 2,Canon 7D, EOS M/Infrared, EOS M2, EOS M3 and EOS M5, Canon EF-S 55-250, Canon 10-22, Canon 100-400 lens, Sigma 17-70 C, Sigma 150-600 lens, 8MM
Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either. by Golda Meir

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 05, 2014 13:35 |  #13

Depends on your budget/expectations. If you're keeping it under $500, look at a EOS-M, Nikon V1, or a fixed compact like a Ricoh GR or a Coolpix A.

If you're looking to build a system and/or features and not afraid to spend money then look at a A7 series, the a6000, or a x100 series.

But for quick snaps, some pocket ability, and some good IQ look at the first set of options.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

kiapolo
870 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 05, 2014 14:25 |  #14

I had previously bought a s95 for a compact camera to use when hiking. I loved the size, but the image quality was not...DSLR-like.

I ended up getting a used EOS-M kit (22mm & 18-55mm & EF adapter). This has worked out GREAT. Image quality is just as good as my old T2i. Body is small enough to be attached to my backpack straps for easy access while hiking. For landscapes/hiking, its great. It's not fast by any means. But it fills the spot I needed.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

TTUShooter
378 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 06, 2014 23:18 |  #15

I like the EOS M with the 22mm pancake. It is the camera that I have with me constantly. It's always in my messenger bag/ briefcase with the 22mm pancake and I also have my ef-s 18-55 kit lens with it constantly. But if you buy one, go into it knowing it is not a DSLR. don't try and make it be a DSLR.

As long as you have reasonable expectations of what the eos M is and isn't. I think you'll find it a great little tool.

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,842 views & 1 like for this thread
Mirrorless Camera to Supplement 7D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.