Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 11:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

stupid propective client

this thread is locked
1000WordsPhotography
504 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 05, 2014 19:00 |  #16

qdrummer21 wrote in post #17252014 (external link)
The trick in business is always to give the customer what they want, not what they ask for. I've got tons of stories where I've had customers, non-photography business, who didn't realize that these two things aren't always the same. ...

That's golden advice right there.

Also keep in mind that you could have the best offering at the best price at the right time and still not win. The bottom line is anyone who's sold more than 1 of something has lost a sale for various reasons. Shake it off and close the next one.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2014 19:05 |  #17

SuffolkGal wrote in post #17254608 (external link)
You'll get used to it .. (not). Maybe next time say, I can do what you ask for and all this other stuff as well. I assume the client saw your website?

It is what happens, you don't get every job (just as well with some too). If you can't get used to it you shouldn't really be in business.

You expect it if being you are realistic about being a business. It is part and parcel of being the game... completely pointless ranting about not getting a job. Move on after analysing what you did to see if there is anything to be learned from. Calling someone who didn't buy from you "stupid" just because you are bitter about not getting the job... hardly professional.

As for offering sympathy to someone who refers to people who don't hire them as being "stupid"... well if that is the attitude they take on here one can only guess at the impression they give to potential clients.

As for being a "fellow photographer". The OP owns a camera, I own a camera that is as far as any "fellowship" goes. Does the OP want honest feedback from a BUSINESS forum or a pat on the back or gold star for having a go?

As for your other comments... well... if that is how "fellow photographers" act I'd rather not be one to be honest. If I want a fellowship I'll watch LOTR.

Peter

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 05, 2014 19:34 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

1000WordsPhotography wrote in post #17254637 (external link)
That's golden advice right there.

Also keep in mind that you could have the best offering at the best price at the right time and still not win. The bottom line is anyone who's sold more than 1 of something has lost a sale for various reasons. Shake it off and close the next one.

It was vacuous advice without any substance. A client has SPECIFIED what they want quoted for a bidding process. Only a complete imbecile would ignore that.

What is more likely happened here is that the OP and some other tog both entered quotes for what the customer specified. The other tog was asked to come in and when that happened the other tog saw that they needed something else.

There is stuff all the OP could have done about this situation. In an ethical world the customer would have put out requests for new bids, but more often than not that doesn't happen.

FWIW, when I was in sales I would frequently angle a client towards a product that only I could offer, or would beat those I knew I would be competing with, It's a tough world out there!

Edit: I guess I'm still in sales..sigh ;)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2014 19:45 |  #19

SuffolkGal wrote in post #17254696 (external link)
What is more likely happened here is that the OP and some other tog both entered quotes for what the customer specified. The other tog was asked to come in and when that happened the other tog saw that they needed something else.

There is stuff all the OP could have done about this situation. In an ethical world the customer would have put out requests for new bids, but more often than not that doesn't happen.

There is also every chance the client just didn't like the OP. Many a time I've paid a premium for an "equivalent" service where the person was more likeable and filled me with more confidence about what the experience of hiring them and having them do the work would be like.

The customer has no obligation to hire one business over another... nor do they have an obligation to allow someone to re-quote.

Peter

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 05, 2014 20:17 |  #20

At least they told you they were going with someone else...far too many times potential gigs are given to others without notice.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Nov 05, 2014 20:37 |  #21

SuffolkGal wrote in post #17254613 (external link)
Stop picking the guy to pieces. He lost a deal, it hurts.

Instead of being a total wanker you could act like a fellow photographer and let the guy vent and maybe even offer some sympathy. But oh no, it's much easier to be a twathead troll.

If someone is "hurt" because he loses a deal, this is the wrong business to be in. Seriously. This business is far too competitive to waste time feeling sorry for yourself when you lose a gig. Yeah, it sucks. But get over it, man. Brooding about it wastes time.

Venting is fine; have at it. Sympathy? No, that wastes time, too...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,858 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 06, 2014 02:20 |  #22

It was vacuous advice without any substance. A client has SPECIFIED what they want quoted for a bidding process. Only a complete imbecile would ignore that.

except the customer may not actually be wanting the product they specified, they may be wanting to verify the pricing (from another vendor)
Happens all the time...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 06, 2014 11:57 |  #23

kenwood33 wrote in post #17251835 (external link)
Recently bid on a project. The prospective client list A as her requirement with sample images supporting it. I gave her my work exp in the area of A, sample images to prove, and a quote. Also mentioned I am available to meet or a phone conversation for further discussion. Finally got a response today saying they chose someone else because he has experience in B. What throws me off is I actually have more experience in B than A. But this prospect never mention anything about B. Anyway just want to hear other people's story of stupid prospective clients to make myself feel better.

Actually it should be "The prospective client listed", list is not the correct tense.

"available to meet or a phone conversation" is also incorrect grammar.

"mention" again wrong tense.

I have always found it imperative to double and even triple check spelling, grammar and punctuation when calling someone or something stupid. :o:o:o

Bill R
Web:https://www.flickr.com​/photos/whitebirch/ (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 06, 2014 12:17 |  #24

This almost seems totally off-topic and picky until you realize that there are in fact some people (not necessarily the OP) who actually communicate like this in their business interactions and who perhaps don't understand the impact of that.

Northwoods Bill wrote in post #17255896 (external link)
Actually it should be "The prospective client listed", list is not the correct tense.

I have always found it imperative to double and even triple check spelling, grammar and punctuation when calling someone or something stupid. :o:o:o

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,095 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 06, 2014 12:51 |  #25

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #17255925 (external link)
This almost seems totally off-topic and picky until you realize that there are in fact some people (not necessarily the OP) who actually communicate like this in their business interactions and who perhaps don't understand the impact of that.

I agree wholemindedly. Full disclosure, or as full as is needed here: I'm biased toward estimating a person's intelligence from his or her use of language, although nonnative English speakers get a free pass.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 06, 2014 13:12 |  #26

SuffolkGal wrote in post #17254613 (external link)
memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17251942 (external link)
Do you call all prospective clients that don't hire you stupid?

Stop picking the guy to pieces. He lost a deal, it hurts.

Instead of being a total wanker you could act like a fellow photographer and let the guy vent and maybe even offer some sympathy. But oh no, it's much easier to be a twathead troll.

He has a point however.

If the OP takes that attitude with every pitch that fails, they are going to really struggle to stay in business. Rather than thinking that they didn't get the gig because the client is stupid and chose someone else, they should ask themselves why the other guy got the gig and not themselves. Then aim to do better next time.

If a pitch fails, the client isn't in the wrong, the pitcher didn't sell themselves well enough. Maybe they could have included their experience in B (and even C and D) as part of their pitch, or called the client to discuss their needs rather than simply saying they are available to talk. Maybe that is what the other guy did? They could have called the client and discussed the job in detail, then given them more options such as B, whilst the OP sat back and waited.

There are times when the client may already intend to hire a particular person, yet have to get quotes as part of the process. The odds are always heavily stacked against you in a case like this but, again, calling them to ascertain their needs and making a well targeted killer pitch can swing opinions and allow you to steal the job.

The key thing is attitude. If you don't get a job it is unlikely to be because the client is stupid and far more likely that the pitch wasn't good enough, or that the pitcher didn't make enough of an effort to communicate with the client, to discuss their needs and how you can meet them.

I think Memoriesoftomorrow was commenting on the OP's reaction that their pitch failure was due to a faulty client, rather than the far more likely cause of them putting forward a poorer pitch than the other guy.

Willie
959 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 06, 2014 14:53 |  #27

Northwoods Bill wrote in post #17255896 (external link)

You forgot the Oxford comma in your last sentence.

1000WordsPhotography
504 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 06, 2014 14:59 |  #28

Ma'am this in commonly known in sales especially in complex sales processes. If you assume that everything the client says is gospel then this is sure to happen to you.

What happened most importantly is not that the other tog saw something they needed but that the OP didn't. That's the real failure here. If the OP worked harder to identify the need then he could have put himself in position to win the deal.

FWIW, when I was in sales I would frequently angle a client towards a product that only I could offer, or would beat those I knew I would be competing with, It's a tough world out there!

Edit: I guess I'm still in sales..sigh ;)

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 06, 2014 16:27 |  #29

Willie wrote in post #17256185 (external link)
You forgot the Oxford comma in your last sentence.

Except the need for the oxford comma is a debated subject even among grammar "experts."

Also, I think without knowing what A and B were and how different they were it is impossible to judge if the OP could have ever imagined B as being important. For all we know A=Wedding photography and B=Architecture photography.

It would be nice to know more, but I assume the OP thinks that might reveal the specific client.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 06, 2014 17:06 |  #30

sandpiper wrote in post #17256013 (external link)
He has a point however.

If the OP takes that attitude with every pitch that fails, they are going to really struggle to stay in business. Rather than thinking that they didn't get the gig because the client is stupid and chose someone else, they should ask themselves why the other guy got the gig and not themselves. Then aim to do better next time.

If a pitch fails, the client isn't in the wrong, the pitcher didn't sell themselves well enough. Maybe they could have included their experience in B (and even C and D) as part of their pitch, or called the client to discuss their needs rather than simply saying they are available to talk. Maybe that is what the other guy did? They could have called the client and discussed the job in detail, then given them more options such as B, whilst the OP sat back and waited.

There are times when the client may already intend to hire a particular person, yet have to get quotes as part of the process. The odds are always heavily stacked against you in a case like this but, again, calling them to ascertain their needs and making a well targeted killer pitch can swing opinions and allow you to steal the job.

The key thing is attitude. If you don't get a job it is unlikely to be because the client is stupid and far more likely that the pitch wasn't good enough, or that the pitcher didn't make enough of an effort to communicate with the client, to discuss their needs and how you can meet them.

I think Memoriesoftomorrow was commenting on the OP's reaction that their pitch failure was due to a faulty client, rather than the far more likely cause of them putting forward a poorer pitch than the other guy.

It might not have even been that. There are too many unknowns to know what happened. Both parties being equal, it could have been something as simple as the other photographer and the company hiring having a mutual friend vouching for the guy. The saying "its not what you know, but who you know" exists for a reason. Once that rapport is built, most likely the company is going to go with that person.

sponsored links

8,443 views & 0 likes for this thread
stupid propective client
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.