Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So CPW Street Price works the same way as Greentoe, right?

howiewu
629 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 05, 2014 13:05 |  #1

As titled. They seem to work exactly the same way, no?

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

sponsored links
pinolero ­ newbie
408 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 05, 2014 13:37 |  #2

Not, per my understanding (I haven't used either yet)

Greentoe you submit a price and then see if that price is accepted.

CPW streetprice is a price that is available to you, and you just need to put it in through CPW, and as long as the vendor still has stock, you will get that price.

Gear List
Feedback

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 05, 2014 13:50 |  #3

Different process and possibly different vendors too but ultimately similar outcome: you can get good deals under MAP.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 05, 2014 20:50 |  #4

If I may :-)

One of the key differences is, we're up-front with the price: the price listed on our site is the lowest price we can find. No need to bid, negotiate, or guess.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 06, 2014 13:04 |  #5

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17254895 (external link)
If I may :-)

One of the key differences is, we're up-front with the price: the price listed on our site is the lowest price we can find. No need to bid, negotiate, or guess.

Maybe I was having a really dumb moment but I feel you need to be clearer as to what CPW is. I kept clicking on a CPW price and absolutely nothing was happening. Took me forever to figure out I was supposed to fill in CPW box to get going. The way it is layed out makes it seem like it's a hpyerlink just like all the other listed prices from other named vendors.

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 06, 2014 19:06 |  #6

Sorry for the public debate, but I have to reply to some of these statements!

Greentoe wrote in post #17256370 (external link)
There are a fair amount of differences between our sites. Product selection is definitely one of them.

I agree with this one -- we focus only on Canon. We have many years of expertise with Canon pricing and specialize in just that, not other brands, and not musical instruments. Also, "street prices" is only a small portion of our site -- we also track published Canon deals from authorized dealers, unauthorized dealers, and the Canon refurbished store, and try to educate the community on MAP, warranties, and price trends.

Also, i think if you were to put an offer in on Greentoe at the CPW street price you would find our process is significantly faster. It would get accepted and almost always ship the same day without any calls or email back and forth.

I disagree, and am not sure with what data you made a blanket statement like this, Andrew. Our CPW street prices are answered within hours and most orders are processed and shipped the same day as receiving a reader's confirmation of intent to purchase. Also, there are many stories of Greentoe offers never being replied to, for days...

... we work to try and get each unique person the best deal possible. We are negotiating for you... by placing an offer on Greentoe you should feel confident that your getting the best price ...

In our experience, stores have a fixed price in mind that they would like to sell at. They can change these prices often (and we adjust our street prices as they change them), but this is a fixed price nonetheless.

When Greentoe "negotiates for you", my personal opinion is they are negotiating against you -- if a user makes an offer higher than the retailer's "floor" price, will Greentoe actually tell them that they're offering too much? Also, as many users have commented that they've had offers accepted lower than Greentoe's counter-offer, why didn't Greentoe counter-offer with the "best price" you're confident people are getting?

Hopefully this helps explain the differences. CPW is a good site and i like what they are doing. We are just taking a different approach (one that we hope people like).

I appreciate that there are multiple sites doing similar (but not the same) things. Competition is good. I strongly believe consumers should use all available options to try to save themselves some money, and choice is always good.

That being said, I would say that our two sites are fundamentally different in mission. Greentoe is a start-up business backed by venture capitalists (external link) -- a successful one at that, with a good business model, and many happy customers, I applaud that.

CanonPriceWatch is a website run by a couple hobbyists who (in their spare time!) obsess about Canon prices, getting people the best deals possible, and advocating for our readers.

I hope this clears up some of the points you have raised.

Cheers,
Gordon of CanonPriceWatch.com

howiewu
THREAD ­ STARTER
629 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 06, 2014 19:34 |  #7

Hi, I did not mean to start a "War". I think that both sites offer unique services which are good for us consumers. Thanks for giving us different options.

Now we understand the difference, I think we can leave it at that.

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

RGNY
101 posts
Joined May 2014

Nov 06, 2014 20:17 |  #8

I would like to thank Gordon and Andrew. Without both of your services I would not be able to afford the equipment I have. To be perfectly honest I often use CPW to negotiate a better deal with Andrew and if I don't feel like waiting I will go with CPW. I personally prefer CPW's model better, but getting the best deal is the most important factor for me

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 08, 2014 10:33 |  #9

While I use and love both, recently I stick with CPW for any lens/body I buy. Recently on Greentoe I made an offer on a bag and some other item that never got a reply or counter offer (I did not heavily low ball either). Somehow the owner or whatever of greentoe learned that and said he would expedite my request as I was leaving on a trip and again, no response. In the past, I always heard back and have bought a few things through greentoe. But my last two experiences were a bit of a pain and having to wait days for no response... I eventually just bought it on amazon.

I feel the service was a bit better than it is now. I am sure I will try them again one day, but for canon lenses/bodies the CPW street price is no-frills and quick! I had my item shipped from CPW same day on multiple occasions.

I enjoy both though, they are great to help us gear heads with our purchases for great prices!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 08, 2014 23:31 |  #10

Invertalon wrote in post #17259363 (external link)
While I use and love both, recently I stick with CPW for any lens/body I buy. Recently on Greentoe I made an offer on a bag and some other item that never got a reply or counter offer (I did not heavily low ball either). Somehow the owner or whatever of greentoe learned that and said he would expedite my request as I was leaving on a trip and again, no response. In the past, I always heard back and have bought a few things through greentoe. But my last two experiences were a bit of a pain and having to wait days for no response... I eventually just bought it on amazon.

I feel the service was a bit better than it is now. I am sure I will try them again one day, but for canon lenses/bodies the CPW street price is no-frills and quick! I had my item shipped from CPW same day on multiple occasions.

I enjoy both though, they are great to help us gear heads with our purchases for great prices!

I never knew you can buy from CPW. After my last two experiences from GT (no response from them for more than a week) and only responded after sending two emails - their counteroffer was retail price! I thought it was a waste of time and would rather deal with a company that knows how to value their customer's time.

They can always respond to their customers within a day or two than totally ignore. If they can reply to an offer for an L lens within a day or two, then they should be able to do these on cheaper items too. Take note, I said "reply" - which is the opposite of ignore.

PoEarth
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 09, 2014 02:43 |  #11

howiewu wrote in post #17256642 (external link)
Hi, I did not mean to start a "War". I think that both sites offer unique services which are good for us consumers. Thanks for giving us different options.

Now we understand the difference, I think we can leave it at that.

If you have time and like bargaining , email back and forth...! then Green Toe is the Place to shop!

I could get some B&W XS-Pro MRC Nano for very good prices, but no luck to get Canon Telephoto 200mm L f/2.8 II and Canon Super Wide Angle 14mm L f/2.8 II last Mach & April 2013, even I had offered $2000 for the Canon 14mm L !!!

After reading this from CPW street price

"We estimate a street price of $1889.99 After Rebate on this item brand new from an authorized dealer with full Canon USA Warranty and free shipping."

I have paid $1989.99 using American Express before Rebate ($100), already received the lens Brand New, USA, from an authorized Canon dealer ( surprisingly, very familiar to us ) !

We need Nikon, Sigma...to keep Canon working harder for us !
And thanks Green Toe and CPW street price for helping us to spend our honest hard-earned money! :D

Canon RP, Canon RF 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 6D. Fuji X100. iPhoneX. Canon 50 f/1.4, 28 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8. Canon 14L f/2.8 II, 35L f/1.4, Canon 50L f/1.2, 100L f/2.8 IS Macro, 135L f/2, 16-35L f/2.8 II, 24-70LII f/2.8 ...
Gitzo GT2531EX-Arca Swiss Monoball p0, GT1542T-G1177M, GM2561T-G1077M. Canon 430 EX II.

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 09, 2014 14:24 |  #12

In my experience, I've purchased products at lower prices than CPW offers by using Greentoe. I've bought at least half a dozen products and have spent thousands of dollars with Greentoe and haven't been disappointed yet.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

PoEarth
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 09, 2014 15:41 |  #13

First try Greentoe offering to buy the Canon 35mm f/1.4L , 16-25mm f/2.8L II , and the 24-70mm f/2.8L II right before Christmas time in 2013 ! Ending buying all 3 from B&H.

Second time, going to Greentoe offering to buy a 82mm B&W Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter and many B&W XS-Pro Clear MRC Nano filters for all my lens collection, VERY HAPPY with the prices and services.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome ( GAS ) up, going back Greentoe to post 2 offers for the Canon 200mm f/2.8L II and the 14mm f/2.8L II ( up to $2000 in April 2014 for this lens alone ! ), Andrew could not get them for me and emailed me suggesting to raise the offer prices for both.
My GAS was down and my feet were cold by that time !

Happy Holidays 2014 coming again with the CPW " street price " helps me to start with the Brand New, USA warranty, Canon 14mm f/2.8L II for $1989.99 before $100 Rebate.

My Life is so sweet with Toys, ALL you guys and my wife, my daughter around.:lol:

Canon RP, Canon RF 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 6D. Fuji X100. iPhoneX. Canon 50 f/1.4, 28 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8. Canon 14L f/2.8 II, 35L f/1.4, Canon 50L f/1.2, 100L f/2.8 IS Macro, 135L f/2, 16-35L f/2.8 II, 24-70LII f/2.8 ...
Gitzo GT2531EX-Arca Swiss Monoball p0, GT1542T-G1177M, GM2561T-G1077M. Canon 430 EX II.

gacon1
635 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 11, 2014 02:55 |  #14

To me, Andrew and the Greentoe team are GREAT ! They provide excellent customer service.

Just purchased 2 profoto softboxes (3x4) + Profoto speedring + Profoto speedlite speedring from Greentoe (at an unbeatable price!).

Whenever I make offer, Andrew will contact me within 48 hours and I can see clearly he do his best to help me get a lowest price for that item.

About the softboxes:

- Last week I went to Greentoe site and see Greentoe didn't have those items listed on the site.

- Contact Greentoe Customer Service and Andrew get back to me within 24 hours, let me know he will work on those items.

- Wait another 24 hours, Andrew get back, the price Andrew give me was so good (couldn't get that price anywhere else), all I had to do is "deal".

- Andrew working hard to put those link on the site so I could follow the link and paid, plus Greentoe honor the promotion code (October was Greentoe birthday) for me.

Today, I got all the gears I've ordered. Brandnew, work like a charm !

What else I can say but AWESOME!

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 11, 2014 15:40 |  #15

I like both business models and wish both great success.

I'm sure it works great as planned, but what about the unforeseen? How things are handled when stuff goes awry is the true testament to the value (for me) and I'm curious how returns are handled (for any reason) as well as shipping snafu's, etc.

Randy...

sponsored links

7,950 views & 1 like for this thread
So CPW Street Price works the same way as Greentoe, right?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.