Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 27 Oct 2013 (Sunday) 06:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

portraits cant get settings right - please help!

Jax1
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 27, 2013 06:48 |  #1

Hi,
I am trying to take portrait shots (close up) of my son (6 months). I am on a canon 60D and I am using the portrait lens 50mm. On my camera my setting is Av, with the mid point focus, aperture 1.8, also have tried aperture 2.8. Auto ISO. I'm shooting in the sunroom so I think there's lots of light, but I just cant get it to focus very often, so its driving me crazy. (Same thing happens when I am outside, so its not lack of light I don't think) I put the red focus spot on his face, he is not moving much at all, but most of my shots are quite blurry, the odd few are pretty good, but still if you zoom in to over 100% they are not crystal clear. Can someone please tell me if my camera might be on a funny setting or if this is normal? I feel like I am doing the right thing, and wondered if maybe camera is broken? Maybe I need to adjust settings? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks so much,
Frustrated!

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,838 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2013 07:46 |  #2

Post a picture with settings for any real help.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 27, 2013 08:03 |  #3

Jax1 wrote in post #16402518 (external link)
Hi,
I am trying to take portrait shots (close up) of my son (6 months). I am on a canon 60D and I am using the portrait lens 50mm. On my camera my setting is Av, with the mid point focus, aperture 1.8, also have tried aperture 2.8. Auto ISO. I'm shooting in the sunroom so I think there's lots of light, but I just cant get it to focus very often, so its driving me crazy. (Same thing happens when I am outside, so its not lack of light I don't think) I put the red focus spot on his face, he is not moving much at all, but most of my shots are quite blurry, the odd few are pretty good, but still if you zoom in to over 100% they are not crystal clear. Can someone please tell me if my camera might be on a funny setting or if this is normal? I feel like I am doing the right thing, and wondered if maybe camera is broken? Maybe I need to adjust settings? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks so much,
Frustrated!

yes, post a pic with the EXIF data

Shooting at large apertures (f1.8) significantly reduces the 'depth of field' where the subject is in focus so you have be careful in selecting the best focus point, how large a "DOF" you have at a given f stop, the shutter speed, etc. so maybe practice with an inanimate object where you select the ISO to achieve the best settings

60D with 50mm 1.8
f2.2

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/9663746845_791ba406c7_z.jpg

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 27, 2013 13:18 |  #4

Do you have the lens set to auto or manual focus? Just a thought...

www.beeweather.com (external link)

supfresh
222 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 27, 2013 13:22 |  #5

Jax1 wrote in post #16402518 (external link)
Hi,
I put the red focus spot on his face, he is not moving much at all, but most of my shots are quite blurry, the odd few are pretty good, but still if you zoom in to over 100% they are not crystal clear

Place the red dot on his eyes, not his general "face". Also, what focus mode are you in? (Servo, Focus, One Shot) Once you focused, don't move or recompose. If you need to reframe your shot, then use a different focusing point to get the eyes in focus.

Also, posting samples of the shots you took with the EXIF data will better allow us to help you more directly.

Wedding (external link) - Facebook (external link)- Personal (external link)
5DMKIII / A7RII/ RICOHGR / 50L / 24-70L II/ 70-200 2.8 VC / 35A / 16-35L II / S85
Always some lens, never your lens.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 06, 2013 09:41 |  #6

Based on what you said..You need to adjust the settings or the camera is broken..

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sancho1983
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 11, 2013 14:37 |  #7

As above really, post a pic with EXIF and I'm sure somebody could help.

What sort of shutter speed are you getting? Could be a combination of many things

Instagram (external link)
www.bgsweddings.co.uk (external link)

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 12, 2013 15:38 |  #8

Stop the lens down to about 2.2 or smaller, shooting wide open with that lens isn't gonna yield the results you expect. Also, be aware of the minimum focusing distance.

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

armedaL
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 21, 2013 22:36 as a reply to  @ JCH77Yanks's post |  #9

I had this problem is the beginning with my 60d and thought it was broken, but I found that my Custom Controls/AF and Metering buttons got changed. You can assign the buttons to your preference. So what was happening was when I hit the point to focus then pressed my shutter it would start metering since my shutter button was assigned to Metering, not Meter and AF Start. I hope this makes sense.

thanks,
al

joebob23
83 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 13, 2014 12:25 |  #10

Also what distance is your subject from the lens? Is it possible that you're closer than the minimum focus distance?

cromus
47 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 30, 2014 15:26 |  #11

supfresh wrote in post #16403258 (external link)
Once you focused, don't move or recompose. If you need to reframe your shot, then use a different focusing point to get the eyes in focus.

This was a big thing for me. I would set my center focus point on the eyes and then re-frame. This caused things to be just a little off.

Canon XSi / 18-55mm / 55-250mm / 50mm f1.8 / 17-40L / 580 ex ii

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 30, 2014 21:00 |  #12

What is your shutter speed?

Some of my feedback

ethan870
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 07, 2014 07:13 |  #13

Maybe if you post a picture we might be able to help you.

Gold Coast Wedding Photographer (external link)
email: info@mariocolliphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
facebook: www.facebook.com/mario​colliPH (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 07, 2014 08:51 as a reply to  @ ethan870's post |  #14

Guys, you do realise that the person you are replying to asked their question over a year ago and hasn't been back on POTN since? They never bothered to post a pic or answer questions then, I doubt they will respond now.

cromus
47 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 07, 2014 14:40 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #15

Seems to be my fault for that. Sorry. Didn't mean to necro a thread. I'll keep a better eye out next time.

Canon XSi / 18-55mm / 55-250mm / 50mm f1.8 / 17-40L / 580 ex ii

sponsored links

7,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
portraits cant get settings right - please help!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.