Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

22 days and counting 400 DO II...anyone else in? excited?

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,189 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 04, 2014 01:53 |  #16

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17250726 (external link)
I have the 300 f2.8 IS II that I use for aviation photography. Most of the time - maybe 90% of the time - I use it with the 1.4xIII to obtain 420mm. With this combo I'm very satisfied with the IQ and AF performance.

But sometimes the planes fly far away or high enough that I wish for more than 420mm. With the 400 DO II and 1.4xIII I'll get 560mm.

So if (and that's a big if) the 400 DO II has IQ equal to or exceeding the 300 f2.8 II & 1.4xIII, and have equal AF performance, then the 400 could replace my 300.

Here's what I'd get...

400 and 560mm focal length instead of my 300 and 420mm.

A weight savings of about 1 lb. Even more if I don't use the tc. This many help when panning.

These two benefits might push me towards the 400 DO II.

Yes... but if you pair the 300 with a 2xTC mkIII you will also have outstanding IQ.... especially stopped down to f7.1 or so. What happens if you ever need 300mm instead of 400?

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 04, 2014 06:47 |  #17

The 400 DO looks like a great upcoming lens! My problem is the focal length... Even with my 300mm on full frame it can be limiting and too much for what I shoot (which is really not wildlife or anything usually) and I hardly even use it with a 1.4x TC! It looks like such a nice lens though... I would likely buy that over the 400 f/2.8 anyday due to size! The new MTF's look really impressive on it.

I look forward to seeing the results people get from the lens! Happy to see DO back in the picture (no pun).

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,079 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 04, 2014 23:21 |  #18

Neilyb wrote in post #17251043 (external link)
Yes... but if you pair the 300 with a 2xTC mkIII you will also have outstanding IQ.... especially stopped down to f7.1 or so. What happens if you ever need 300mm instead of 400?

My results with the 300 & 2xIII for aviation photography are mixed, with a low keeper rate. Low enough that I don't use the 2xIII much.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 05, 2014 11:22 |  #19

That was my problem with the 2x III as well. When it nails the focus its really good, but it can be hit or miss. I really think that using a 1.4x III and cropping results in a better overall image with far better AF accuracy.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2014 20:15 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #20

Neilyb wrote in post #17249062 (external link)
f/4.5 http://www.canon.com.c​n …2usm/img/sample​4_zoom.jpg (external link)

f/4.5 http://obj.fotosidan.s​e …58d5f556316aa97​fe2538.jpg (external link)

Sorry these example do not get me excited, and not even wide open.

Woooow, What a disappointment :(
Thanks a lot you just helped me to save some money ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 05, 2014 21:13 |  #21

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17253045 (external link)
My results with the 300 & 2xIII for aviation photography are mixed, with a low keeper rate. Low enough that I don't use the 2xIII much.

Quite surprised at your post as I have found exactly the opposite, what camera are you using? Is there a problem with it?
The reason that I query this is that a couple of months ago I tried my Canon 300 F2.8 L IS (Mk1) at an air display for the first time. Although I am interested in aircraft I should state that I am not an aviation photographer - I prefer wildlife. I used my 300 f2.8 simply because it is small and light (relatively!).
On larger aircraft like the Lancaster and B17 etc, I used it as a bare lens but with the single seaters it was a bit too short so I attached my Canon 2x Mk3.
I did go a bit shutter happy but, anyway, I banged off 2000+ frames (about 50/50 with and without the extender) and all were in focus. Admittedly many of the shots were rubbish for exposure and composition but focus was simply not an issue. Admittedly I was using a 1DX so it damn well should focus! However, a few years ago, I shot the Swansea Air display with my Canon 300 F4 L is and 5Dc (both with and without a Canon 1.4 Mk2 extender) and AF was simply not an issue, though there were (literally) 1 or 2 bloopers out of 800+ shots.
If your camera/lens can't capture something like an aircraft in flight reliably the I suspect there is something wrong somewhere.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 05, 2014 21:23 |  #22

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17254817 (external link)
Woooow, What a disappointment :(
Thanks a lot you just helped me to save some money ;)

Yeah they don't look brilliant do they!
When I looked into the 400DO only the Mk1 was available and one of the ones I tried was poor at best. The other 2 stacked up extremely well against my (then) Canon 600 F4 L IS. They actually out resolved the 600 at the same range! That REALLY surprised me!
I think we will have to give the new DO a bit more time (and a few more users) to see if it really measures up or not.
The 400DO Mk2 would really suit my requirements, but it has to prove itself first - after all I would have to sell my Canon 300 F2.8 IS Mk1 to help pay for it and I am not letting that lens go in a hurry!

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,351 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2014 21:26 |  #23

Neilyb wrote in post #17249062 (external link)
f/4.5 http://www.canon.com.c​n …2usm/img/sample​4_zoom.jpg (external link)

f/4.5 http://obj.fotosidan.s​e …58d5f556316aa97​fe2538.jpg (external link)

Sorry these example do not get me excited, and not even wide open.

Bleh..agreed. I can get those results out of my 100-400 without bothering to try hard :(

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2014 21:33 |  #24

johnf3f wrote in post #17254947 (external link)
Yeah they don't look brilliant do they!
When I looked into the 400DO only the Mk1 was available and one of the ones I tried was poor at best. The other 2 stacked up extremely well against my (then) Canon 600 F4 L IS. They actually out resolved the 600 at the same range! That REALLY surprised me!
I think we will have to give the new DO a bit more time (and a few more users) to see if it really measures up or not.
The 400DO Mk2 would really suit my requirements, but it has to prove itself first - after all I would have to sell my Canon 300 F2.8 IS Mk1 to help pay for it and I am not letting that lens go in a hurry!

Bad start with those pictures (IMO), i am mixed/mitigated now :confused:
But i do agree with you, wait and see when more users will have this lens to forge a more realistic opinion ...

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 05, 2014 21:46 |  #25

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17254959 (external link)
Bad start with those pictures (IMO), i am mixed/mitigated now :confused:
But i do agree with you, wait and see when more users will have this lens to forge a more realistic opinion ...

Yeah they did look a bit like the shots I got from the poor example of the 3 Mk1 DOs that I tried - I am certain the other two would have been much better under similar conditions. Still I can take crap shots even with my Canon 300 F2.8!
This new DO is an expensive lens so it will have to prove itself before we part with any cash!

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,079 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 05, 2014 23:15 |  #26

Invertalon wrote in post #17253808 (external link)
That was my problem with the 2x III as well. When it nails the focus its really good, but it can be hit or miss. I really think that using a 1.4x III and cropping results in a better overall image with far better AF accuracy.

Yup, agree.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
16,904 posts
Gallery: 1686 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 05, 2014 23:18 |  #27

The sooner the better as to whether I'm crying tears of sadness or elation. I can still find no anticipated release date even in the rumor mills of the web. If any have heard or seen please share.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,980 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 07, 2014 10:20 |  #28

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17250726 (external link)
I have the 300 f2.8 IS II that I use for aviation photography. Most of the time - maybe 90% of the time - I use it with the 1.4xIII to obtain 420mm. With this combo I'm very satisfied with the IQ and AF performance.

But sometimes the planes fly far away or high enough that I wish for more than 420mm. With the 400 DO II and 1.4xIII I'll get 560mm.

So if (and that's a big if) the 400 DO II has IQ equal to or exceeding the 300 f2.8 II & 1.4xIII, and have equal AF performance, then the 400 could replace my 300.

Here's what I'd get...

400 and 560mm focal length instead of my 300 and 420mm.

A weight savings of about 1 lb. Even more if I don't use the tc. This many help when panning.

These two benefits might push me towards the 400 DO II.

yes but you also lose a stop of light .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

RandyAC
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 07, 2014 12:34 |  #29

I have the 400mm DO I, and have been very happy with it. One unique option for that lens is with the 2Xiii, it becomes an 800mm f/8 that is hand holdable, with IS, and auto focus in the 5Diii. That's pretty sweet. The MK II DO promises to be a significant upgrade. The published MTFs look amazing, and the improved IS is welcome.

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 07, 2014 13:00 |  #30

So maybe I missed it. What is the target price either in the UK or in the US. Anyone know?

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links

7,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
22 days and counting 400 DO II...anyone else in? excited?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.