Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 31 Oct 2014 (Friday) 08:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony (overall company)

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 04, 2014 02:40 |  #16

GE divested GE Capital because albeit profitable, it wasn't a proper part of the core business.

Same with Sony Financial Services. It is a nice foray, but really not in line with the core product.

Ahh, Sony. You've been good to us for along time. Sorry that the Koreans had to take it away from you.

armis wrote in post #17250076 (external link)
Yes but only because of Financial Services, and I honestly don't know what goes on in there but I don't think it's about selling cameras or phones...

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 04, 2014 18:00 |  #17

armis wrote in post #17250076 (external link)
Yes but only because of Financial Services, and I honestly don't know what goes on in there but I don't think it's about selling cameras or phones...

did you read the article ?
it's about da phones and electronics !

armis
899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 05, 2014 04:41 |  #18

watt100 wrote in post #17252500 (external link)
did you read the article ?
it's about da phones and electronics !

Did you? It makes no mention of Financial Services, which (after a cursory seach) seems to concern life insurance, assurance and banking, which has zilch to do with phones and electronics and yet is the sole reason their operating cash flows are positive. That's not saying their cash flows haven't improved significantly year on year, but still.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 05, 2014 05:16 |  #19

armis wrote in post #17253253 (external link)
Did you? It makes no mention of Financial Services, which (after a cursory seach) seems to concern life insurance, assurance and banking, which has zilch to do with phones and electronics and yet is the sole reason their operating cash flows are positive. That's not saying their cash flows haven't improved significantly year on year, but still.

did you?

it's about the electronics !!!!!

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 05, 2014 05:24 |  #20

No dude, the financial services is not for electronics.

watt100 wrote in post #17253280 (external link)
did you?

it's about the electronics !!!!!

Pi_314
365 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 05, 2014 09:41 |  #21

Sony hasn't been the same since the virus scandal way back when. It's been all downhill from there, and they deserved it. Haven't bought a Sony product since.
http://en.m.wikipedia.​org …rotection_rootk​it_scandal (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 05, 2014 22:01 |  #22

CRCchemist wrote in post #17253290 (external link)

Correct. Financial services is their internet banking, life insurance and assurance (automobile insurance) business line.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 06, 2014 03:38 |  #23

CRCchemist wrote in post #17253290 (external link)

dude! fill in the blank: Sony is now "junk status" because ________

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 06, 2014 15:28 |  #24

Oh! I remember that!!!

Now I'm glad Sony is about to go away. I was so mad when that happened but i totally forgot about it. Donezo for Sony.

And when you're liquidating your assets, sell your patents and sensor division to Canon.

Pi_314 wrote in post #17253622 (external link)
Sony hasn't been the same since the virus scandal way back when. It's been all downhill from there, and they deserved it. Haven't bought a Sony product since.
http://en.m.wikipedia.​org …rotection_rootk​it_scandal (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 07, 2014 00:10 |  #25

Interesting take. I had a similar experience visiting a Sony Store, and their Artisans' artwork were only okay.

Jahled wrote in post #17245125 (external link)
Curious. The comments underneath that article are as painful to read as they are predictable, one vocal commentator turning on the public's 'stupidity' when the inevitable comparison with Apple is made; always a sign they are running out of argument. But anyway..

The problem I have had with Sony is their complete lack of overall vision. Their cameras are ok, but as a brand package I wouldn't touch their gear with a yard stick. They announced a 500 telephoto a year or two ago; is that it? Not exactly going to cater for the wants and needs of the professional market, and if they aren't trying why would I, or anybody, invest in a brand without that vision? They don't have anything comparable to Canon or Nikon pro bodies, so it all just sort of falls flat as another choice of DSLR if you buy in with an eye on the future. And to be honest I have never been terribly impressed with the wildlife I have seen taken on Sony gear, what rolls out of the camera even in the hands of one of their 'advocates,' I know seems somehow muted. Hard to put my finger on it. I work with images, so i'm pretty confident that isn't some kind of subconscious prejudice against them as a brand either.

The other thing I have always had issues with is their software. It seems designed by someone with genuine ill-will towards his fellow man. The amount of time I have lost trying to work with video taken on Sony machines hasn't been much fun. I have simply said to people I might require video from these days simply don't touch Sony; to much hassle. Probably a Mac-Sony thing; to be honest I don't really care, video off other brands doesn't seem to generate the same hassle, and I don't want my machines clogged up with myriad software just to read their formats.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 07, 2014 00:51 |  #26

One thing is for sure.
Sony will not turn into Baloney!

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 07, 2014 08:53 |  #27

CRCchemist wrote in post #17256254 (external link)
Now I'm glad Sony is about to go away.

Sony is not going away, just fading into the electronics sunset

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 07, 2014 14:00 |  #28

All the photographers who bought Sony A7R cameras are going to feel like idiots when Sony kills support and further development of that system.

watt100 wrote in post #17257550 (external link)
Sony is not going away, just fading into the electronics sunset

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 07, 2014 14:51 |  #29

Lol, b-b-but they said they are still fully committed to A-mount! :lol:

CRCchemist wrote in post #17258088 (external link)
All the photographers who bought Sony A7R cameras are going to feel like idiots when Sony kills support and further development of that system.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

MJ23FE
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 07, 2014 15:16 |  #30

"While Sony waits, the company will rely on proven strengths, including its PlayStation console and high-res audio division. The company's Hollywood studio is in good shape, as are its imaging and finance units."

-Jalal

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

sponsored links

8,707 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony (overall company)
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.