Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2014 (Friday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AI Servo question

Rgpracer
307 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 07, 2014 16:30 |  #1

If you are shooting full auto (green box) does it matter if you choose AI Servo, AI Focus or one shot? In other words, is AF disconnected on fully programmable, or can I still choose AI Servo and i work?
Thanks

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 07, 2014 16:32 |  #2

What camera are you using?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,256 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 07, 2014 16:33 |  #3

At least on my 5DIII, green box sets the AF to AI Focus (yuck!) and doesn't allow manual change to Servo or single shot. Perhaps there's a custom function to override but I don't use green box enough to bother looking for it.

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 07, 2014 16:44 |  #4

I just checked my 7D and see that it's locked in AI Focus as well when I select the green square.

I don't think you're permitted to override the camera and choose the type of focus in green square

Rgpracer
THREAD ­ STARTER
307 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 07, 2014 17:29 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #5

Forgot vital information, I am using a 40 and 50D. So, so far, if shooting auto, no choice!! 😢

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,455 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 07, 2014 17:36 as a reply to  @ Rgpracer's post |  #6

There is no option on focusing when you are in Auto mode.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 07, 2014 18:01 |  #7

Rgpracer wrote in post #17258394 (external link)
So, so far, if shooting auto, no choice!!

That is kinda the point with green box though, it is there for people who want the camera to make all the decisions for them. Canon takes that literally and blocks pretty much all decision making by the user. That includes allowing the camera to select which focus point is over (what it thinks is) the subject and whether it uses AI servo or one shot (AI focus is simply a mode which lets the camera decide which of the two to use, rather than a different method of focusing).

If you want to take control of some of these functions you can, you just need to come out of green box mode and use one of the creative zone auto modes (Tv, Av or M with auto ISO engaged). You can still let the camera make all the exposure decisions for you, just set an aperture (in Av) or shutter speed (in Tv) that you want to use and the camera will do the rest, you can either set ISO yourself or let the camera adjust it with auto ISO.

This will then let you use the camera in a very similar manner to green box, but it allows you to have some creative input as to the look of the finished image, by choosing a certain degree of depth of field with Av, or a shutter speed to freeze motion, or go slow and blur the background by panning with fast moving subjects (in Tv). It also unlocks certain controls if you wish, such as choice of focus points and selecting AI servo / one shot focusing. You don't have to use any of them that you don't wish to, just set the camera to use "all-points AF" or AI focus for instance, but it is now your decision, you don't HAVE to use them.

If you want to have more control than you get in green box, then just move the dial away from it and decide how much automation you want to leave the camera to handle, and how much you want to take away from the camera and control yourself. Coming out of green box does not mean you have to go the whole way to fully manual and do everything yourself.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 07, 2014 18:19 |  #8

P mode might be an option pretty much like green box but with a few options.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 07, 2014 19:48 |  #9

On a 50D green box mode selects AI Focus and you won't be able to manually select AF points.

P mode might be an option pretty much like green box but with a few options

This..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,455 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 07, 2014 20:26 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #17258459 (external link)
P mode might be an option pretty much like green box but with a few options.

I forgot about the P option. Agreed.

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 07, 2014 21:12 |  #11

yogestee wrote in post #17258603 (external link)
On a 50D green box mode selects AI Focus and you won't be able to manually select AF points.

I believe this is the same for every model up through the 6D.

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 07, 2014 21:23 |  #12

Forgot vital information, I am using a 40 and 50D. So, so far, if shooting auto, no choice!!

I think these cameras will give you different AF modes if you go past the green square into the 'canned' modes. I'm pretty sure Sports Mode will give you AI Servo. My 7D doesn't have these modes, so I can't check.

timbop
Goldmember
2,976 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2014 10:02 |  #13

Forgot vital information, I am using a 40 and 50D. So, so far, if shooting auto, no choice!! 😢

The REAL answer is NOT to shoot green box mode. P, Av, or Tv would be better choices. You still have auto exposure calculations, can set auto WB, but the important thing is that YOU select the key settings such as focus mode, and shutter speed or aperture depending on what's important. That is, if you're shooting sports you can select a high enough shutter speed and let the camera adjust aperture as needed.

Current: 2x5DM3, 8mm fish, 17-40/4, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/4IS, 85/1.8, 135/2, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/2.8IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 08, 2014 20:05 |  #14

Nethawked wrote in post #17258714 (external link)
I believe this is the same for every model up through the 6D.

This is right.

I specifically pointed out the 50D as this is one of the cameras the OP is enquiring about.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links

2,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
AI Servo question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.