Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens & body calibration.

Engineered_Reflex
109 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 05, 2014 14:52 |  #1

Hi all

I have been told that the 100-400 L really benefits from being calibrated with the body and that people have had great results by sending their lens and body to canon service centres to have this done. Can you tell me if this is just done with MFA? If so, could this be done with FoCal software at home rather than sending the equipment to an approved service centre?

I would be happy to do whatever it takes to get the most out of this lens as it is my most used lens, but if there is no difference then I would have a go myself. Although finding somewhere with enough distance to MFA the 400mm end might be a challenge!

Thanks

Paul

Kit list: Canon 5D mkIV & 6D mkII, EF 24-70L F4 IS, EF 70-200 F4 is, EF 50 f1.8 STM, Sigma 24-105 Art & Sigma 150-600 C
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,489 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2014 15:03 |  #2

As long as the body you're using has MFA capability, then yes, that's how you'd do it. The only time it would need to go to Canon is if you have an older, non-MFA capable body.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Engineered_Reflex
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 05, 2014 15:08 |  #3

Thanks for the reply, it's a 7D II so it has MFA.

I'll give it a go myself if it's likely to gain similar results.

Thanks again!

Kit list: Canon 5D mkIV & 6D mkII, EF 24-70L F4 IS, EF 70-200 F4 is, EF 50 f1.8 STM, Sigma 24-105 Art & Sigma 150-600 C
flickr (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2014 15:22 |  #4

Just to clarify, no, Canon does not do MFA, they actually adjust the lens or the body to achieve proper focus using some adjustments that are in the lens/body (screws/shims/lens element position). For example you can change the focusing calibration on a 17-55 by taking the front element cover off, loosening the 3 screws at the front, and rotating the front element housing left or right, the slots the screws tighten into are slightly ramped, and it will adjust the final focus point of the lens front or backwards.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Engineered_Reflex
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 05, 2014 15:34 |  #5

Keyan wrote in post #17254278 (external link)
Just to clarify, no, Canon does not do MFA, they actually adjust the lens or the body to achieve proper focus using some adjustments that are in the lens/body (screws/shims/lens element position). For example you can change the focusing calibration on a 17-55 by taking the front element cover off, loosening the 3 screws at the front, and rotating the front element housing left or right, the slots the screws tighten into are slightly ramped, and it will adjust the final focus point of the lens front or backwards.

That sounds much more comprehensive, I think I should check that out.

Thanks, Paul

flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 17:18 |  #6

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #17254214 (external link)
Hi all

I have been told that the 100-400 L really benefits from being calibrated with the body and that people have had great results by sending their lens and body to canon service centres to have this done. Can you tell me if this is just done with MFA? If so, could this be done with FoCal software at home rather than sending the equipment to an approved service centre?

I would be happy to do whatever it takes to get the most out of this lens as it is my most used lens, but if there is no difference then I would have a go myself. Although finding somewhere with enough distance to MFA the 400mm end might be a challenge!

Thanks

Paul

Heya,

MFA it yourself. It's one of the selling features of having MFA on a camera body, so you don't have to wait for someone else to do it (and then charge you for it each time for each lens). MFA your own lenses.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2014 19:37 |  #7

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #17254214 (external link)
Hi all

Thanks

Paul

I did it with FoCal, it's very effective, i did it on the 5D2/5D3/7D at a distance of 7 meters (because of the switch of 6.5 meters MFD on the lens ;) )
now i don't know if FoCal was updated for the 7D2 ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

iamnevada
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Nov 05, 2014 22:40 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #8

I don't know how good that software is, but I just spent a day doing micro focus adjustment on my 9 lenses on a 6D using the technique described elsewhere using the EOS utility software and remote control via a laptop and usb cable. It makes an amazing difference in sharpness with subsequent improvement in contrast when the lens is wide open. For the 100-400 mm lens you would be adjusting focus at a distance of 16 ft. for min. and 66 ft. for max. zoom. It is mm/25.4mm/in. X 50 to get recommended inches divided by 12 to get feet. Of the 9 lenses I did this on, only 3 were spot on, an old first series 50mm F1.8; 24-105 F4L IS USM dead on at min. zoom and max zoom; and 135 F2L USM.

I used form ISO 12233 for the detail target. Set up up the camera and lens on a tripod at the recommended 50 times lens length. I put a spot light on the target to ease adjustment. I made certain the camera was exactly square and level with the target which you can do with a mirror or other technique. I would also turn off image stabilization on the lens. You use the remote selection in the EOS utility software. You select Live View. You then select manual selection of focus point as the center point and square up the live view square on the target as shown on the computer screen. Then select Maintain Zoom and 200 times and expand the image on the computer. Each time you select AF ON, the camera refocuses. There are marks below of < or >. You keep refocusing and repeating the selection and number of clicks until you are confident that you are right in the center of the focus adjustment selection. Write down your result. Some lenses you could see one click difference either way while others, there were a couple clicks and I would select the middle of the range.

Then set the micro focus adjustment in the camera. For each adjustment of >, you go above zero (or positive); for each adjustment of >, you go minus. Then verify your result with the lens. On those that I verified, I was right on. On my other L lens, a 70-200 F2.8L ii USM, I was back focused (<5 on both min. and max. mm).

I suspect you will find that you are dead on, but you will never know unless you test it. I found this to be a major pain until I became familiar with the process and went through 4 camera batteries doing the test repeatedly to verify the results to myself. This process demonstrated to me the quality of the better lenses for clarity and contrast as well as confidence now in the focus. Not often, but on occasion I noticed an old lens not accurately refocus the same. However, after I was done I had the impression that the lenses were focusing with less hunting in limited light due to better focus and contrast.

There are several other articles on-line dealing with this and other methods of performing micro adjustments. I believe this method to be the most precise.

Engineered_Reflex
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 06, 2014 04:10 |  #9

Thanks for the detailed advice about mfa, I suspect that the issue will be finding somewhere large enough to do the test!

flickr (external link)

Lyn2011
580 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 06, 2014 04:14 |  #10

what if the camera doesn't have mfa?

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 06, 2014 06:56 |  #11

Lyn2011 wrote in post #17255314 (external link)
what if the camera doesn't have mfa?

I think (not sure), only xD and xxD series have MFA.
xxxD and xxxxD don't have MFA. In this case you might need to send your camera and lens to Canon (not sure also)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

marklori43
292 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 06, 2014 07:23 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #12

Is there a chart that tells you the MFA distances for all Canon lenses?:oops:

Nature Sniper
Canon 7D, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF 28mm 1.8 USM, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Kenko DG Extension Tubes, Manfrotto 055XPROB with 498RC2

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 06, 2014 07:34 |  #13

marklori43 wrote in post #17255449 (external link)
Is there a chart that tells you the MFA distances for all Canon lenses?:oops:

No, not possible, each copy have a slight difference (and bodies also), for example a 50mm f/1.4 can be at +5 on a specified body, another copy of 50mm f/1.4 can be at -5 on the same body and -10 on a different body/model

ruben_c
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 07, 2014 04:42 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #14

+1 for AutoFocus Fine Adjustment

I do it with a SpyderLenscal each month or so.
Mostly it won't change, depending on how hard the transport was for the camera etc. (Doing reportages.)

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 08, 2014 07:45 |  #15

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17255414 (external link)
I think (not sure), only xD and xxD series have MFA.
xxxD and xxxxD don't have MFA. In this case you might need to send your camera and lens to Canon (not sure also)

60D does not have it too... ;-)a;-)a;-)a;-)a

sponsored links

7,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens & body calibration.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.