Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 08 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 14:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My First Huge Whitetail Buck

FreeSoul1987
520 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2014 14:02 |  #1

First I must admit that I do not have the patience that many wildlife photographers (and hunters) have when it comes to waiting out for an animal. whether it be hours, days or weeks... and now with a toddler I am even more impatient and unable to spend hours outside by myself. For a decade or more I have tried to capture a big boy like this, and I really didn't expect him today as it as around 11 AM and I had my son and dog with me. I am really excited, even though I didn't have the time to wait and get better shot (my son only allowed me 45 seconds to a minute before I had to chase him down the trail). I just hope I might have another chance before this year is up

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i932.photobucke​t.com …/IMG_7621_zps19​56abfd.jpg (external link)

http://i932.photobucke​t.com …/IMG_7619_zps79​f90c57.jpg (external link)

Sorry, I am not sure how to make them smaller...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.com (external link)
Gear: Canon EOS 70D, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

sponsored links
FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2014 14:05 |  #2

http://i932.photobucke​t.com …/IMG_7616_zps59​52891d.jpg (external link)

http://i932.photobucke​t.com …/IMG_7622_zps54​5ad834.jpg (external link)

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
Gear: Canon EOS 70D, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 08, 2014 15:36 |  #3

He's a dandy buck! Is hunting season open there yet?

Flickr (external link)

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2014 16:02 |  #4

M50D wrote in post #17259780 (external link)
He's a dandy buck! Is hunting season open there yet?

Lol no and I hope he doesn't get hit because I think he is the only big boy in that area and I really hope to see him again (and again). And there is no hunting there though I am not sure if he stays around there or leaves, I saw a lot of yearlings last night but it was too dark.
I don't know the area when it comes to hunting, since I don't hunt I don't know the laws but I am sure hunting season here is coming :p

baugherlake
34 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 08, 2014 17:39 as a reply to  @ FreeSoul1987's post |  #5

Nice buck!!
Bow season came in Oct. 1 and Firearm season starts Nov 15.

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2014 17:48 |  #6

baugherlake wrote in post #17259923 (external link)
Nice buck!!
Bow season came in Oct. 1 and Firearm season starts Nov 15.

I was going to ask is that everywhere until I read where you're located lol.

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 09, 2014 06:14 |  #7

Bucks that size tend to be nocturnal much of the time, but the rut in in it's early stages and I suspect that's why he was out and about during daylight hours.

Flickr (external link)

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2014 08:48 |  #8

M50D wrote in post #17260648 (external link)
Bucks that size tend to be nocturnal much of the time, but the rut in in it's early stages and I suspect that's why he was out and about during daylight hours.

I was thinking the same thing, only the smart and experienced ones can reach that size. I know we're in the early stages of the rut here, what was also very strange was that he was the ONLY deer out and about. I didn't see any other deer the rest of our hike (an hour and a half) and after taking those pictures I chased down my son and we headed back in that direction, probably a minute total passed. When I got back to that spot he was nowhere to be seen, and I am pretty sure he was headed to bed down near by.
Of course I also wonder if he stays in that area, it's a no hunting area I believe, too close to homes and neighborhoods, just a large section of woods and if he is that smart then he might just stay in that area and rule the roost. This morning I saw 3 other bucks (during my run on the trails with my dog), they were only like 8 pointers, not near his size.

bigjohninva
Goldmember
2,206 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 09, 2014 08:50 |  #9

Nice catch.

Bigjohninva

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2014 18:38 |  #10

I was lucky to see him again, but unfortunately it was too dark and he was about 100 feet away so the shot I got was very grainy. I did get a pretty good shot of a smaller buck, looked like a 6 pointer and he was hanging around a doe. The larger buck doesn't seem to be showing interest in the does, is that normal?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2014 18:39 |  #11

HOSTED PHOTO

This one was a 2nd smaller buck, following a doe as well. The larger buck had come along in that same field near this one.

HOSTED PHOTO

CRobH
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 10, 2014 05:33 |  #12

Very nice. The rut is near peak, which explains why so many bucks are out and about searching for love. Speaking of love, I would love to find his sheds in the spring :-D

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 10, 2014 07:53 |  #13

CRobH wrote in post #17262471 (external link)
Very nice. The rut is near peak, which explains why so many bucks are out and about searching for love. Speaking of love, I would love to find his sheds in the spring :-D

Man so would I, if he does stay in that area I believe it's a little over 100 acres of woods so that would'will be a whole day's worth of searching through thornbushes and other thick cover. I am seriously thinking about it, but am not sure when his might drop.
I found one drop at the back of our 5 acre property a couple years ago, it looked like it might have belonged to an 8 pointer but I'll have to take a picture and post it on here some time.

CRobH
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 12, 2014 05:40 |  #14

FreeSoul1987 wrote in post #17262637 (external link)
Man so would I, if he does stay in that area I believe it's a little over 100 acres of woods so that would'will be a whole day's worth of searching through thornbushes and other thick cover. I am seriously thinking about it, but am not sure when his might drop.
I found one drop at the back of our 5 acre property a couple years ago, it looked like it might have belonged to an 8 pointer but I'll have to take a picture and post it on here some time.

I have seen them drop as early as December and as late as April here in Maryland. With most dropping late January through early March. Trick is to be the first to find them and at the same time not to pressure him so much that he feels the need to move to a less pressured area. One thing for sure, they won't be hard to find! ;) Good luck!

Fishbreath
189 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 12, 2014 11:09 as a reply to  @ CRobH's post |  #15

nice buck 11 or 12 points?

VBA #299
ice shanty #53
retirement isn't all its cracked-up to be,,,, its better

sponsored links

4,757 views & 1 like for this thread
My First Huge Whitetail Buck
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.