Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Nov 2014 (Friday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Retouching outsourced?

Dmitri_D
Cream of the Crop
15,444 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 07, 2014 16:05 |  #1

Do any of you send your pics to someone else for retouching? Some part of me feels like that's cheating, but another part of me is really tired of retouching.

Any thoughts?

Facebook (external link) !! Kempf-Photography.com (external link) !! PhotoFAQ (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 07, 2014 23:35 |  #2

In business you should focus on what you're good at and pay others to do what your not good at.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

groundloop
983 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 08, 2014 08:35 |  #3

Right here's a thread from not too long ago by a POTN member who would love to help you out.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1404379

And IMO, if you can make better use of your time taking photos rather than sitting at a computer then it's worth it to outsource that part of your work. I've seen several photographers in this forum who outsource at least some of their post-processing.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 08, 2014 09:13 as a reply to  @ groundloop's post |  #4

A lot of us offer retouching services, but it's getting hard to compete with the South American houses.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 08, 2014 11:20 |  #5

I recently out sourced some work to be done since I didn't have the time nor the patience. I too get tired of editing and retouching and for work that doesn't fall under my current line of work, I dont mind sending away to help me out.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Dmitri_D
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,444 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 08, 2014 16:04 |  #6

Thanks all, and thanks for the heads up, groundloop. I'll check it out.

Facebook (external link) !! Kempf-Photography.com (external link) !! PhotoFAQ (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 08, 2014 18:09 |  #7

For those that outsource, is it that you just don't know how to do it or don't have time to do it?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2014 19:34 |  #8

the flying moose wrote in post #17259952 (external link)
For those that outsource, is it that you just don't know how to do it or don't have time to do it?

I outsourced for a while. I did it because I had so much work on at the time. I found however that it wasn't cost effective for me to do as I could do a better/faster job which only cost me time.

Peter

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2014 21:36 |  #9

I use www.retouchup.com (external link) for photoshop type retouching - as opposed to bulk raw editing, I use a different company for that.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 08, 2014 22:24 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #10

I usually do all of my retouching as I am mostly shooting architecture.

However I occasionally shoot a large number of portraits of young women. Many of these women have braces on their teeth and I outsource that to Retouchup.com.
They do a good job and the price is fine and the turnaround time is very quick. By doing this I spend more time doing my photography AND I get much larger orders from parents delighted by the retouching.

I sometimes wish that I could outsource my architectural retouching but I feel what I do is my special "secret sauce". Of course I am flattering myself but I also have a fear that if I teach someone what I like I will be sad when they leave.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 08, 2014 22:28 |  #11

Depending on how much 'work', both in quantity of images and amount of 'retouching' you're looking for, prices may be cheaper than you think. I've heard of some of the offshore retouchers doing basic adjustments for well under $1 per photo.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,286 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 08, 2014 22:41 |  #12

Tony_Stark wrote in post #17259411 (external link)
I recently out sourced some work to be done since I didn't have the time nor the patience. I too get tired of editing and retouching and for work that doesn't fall under my current line of work, I dont mind sending away to help me out.

How do you feel about the quality and level of service you are receiving Tony, and is it fairly consistent with your own style of retouching?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

brianschatzel
143 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 09, 2014 22:29 |  #13

I outsource all of my headshot retouching. I find it more cost effective than spending the time to do it myself, it allows me to use the little time I have to shoot. I have one retoucher I with exclusively. I absolutely love her.

www.brianschatzel.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/theph​otographyof (external link)

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 12, 2014 09:36 |  #14

Once summer rolls around and business picks up again (RE photography) I will be hiring someone to to process the photos so I can focus on the business, clients, advertising + shooting. Not only will I make more money it will make my life 10x's easier. I'm tired of working 14hr days in the summer!

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 13, 2014 18:59 |  #15

It seems like outsourcing is a way to go these days for all of us who're busy with our time.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
Retouching outsourced?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.