Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 03:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GX1 Mk II or GX7 or keep Panasonic GX1 ?

John57
157 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 08, 2014 03:40 |  #1

I have a Panasonic GX1 with a 14-42 lens (the dearer one of the 2 they make and 28-84 in 35mm speak) which to be fair I have not given a fair go at using. I have had it 2 years and not done much with it.

The GX1 was bought after my wife got stunning pictures with a GF1 (earlier version of camera) and was intended to use where an SLR was impractical. I normally use a 5D Mk 3 with a 24-70 f2.8 lens and look for great image quality / sharpness.

I want to either persist with the GX1 or replace with a more familiar Canon compact. I have had a G5 and and G11 and loved their ease of use. I got the Panasonic due to the micro four thirds sensor and looking for greater image quality.

I am considering buying a G1X Mk II or a G7 X ....

Am I going to find these give me better image quality. I use the camera for travel, street photography and general use when out incl low light shots so the sensors ability is vital. 24mm at the wide end of the Canons is better than the 28mm of the Panasonic but what about the sensor generally ?

The bulk of the G1X Mk II worries me (same size as the Panasonic but twice as thick) but I guess the IQ would be better than the Panasonic. The G7X IQ concerns me versus the Panasonic but the size and range appeals, at 24mm-100mm - it is smaller than the Panny and has greater range.

I am torn between all three options - keep the Panny and learn it properly (best cost option definitely!) or go for one of the two newer Canons ....

Comments welcome.

sponsored links
Trumper
953 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 08, 2014 04:34 |  #2

This thread may help https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1403928 ,i think it depends on what you want,i love my g1x mk11 and my 5d mk11 and L lenses are hardly used now.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,231 posts
Gallery: 1861 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 08, 2014 04:52 |  #3

Huge thumbs up to the IQ of the G1Xii (or Mk i). I've got the similar to the G7X Sony Rx100iii. Sensor size rules. That said ask yourself if you want something truly pocketable or large coat pocketable and/or a neck case. There is no excuse for me not to have at least the Rx100 with me at all times, for you maybe the G7X (and its got longer reach too).
On the G1Xii I did add the optional EVG and have NEVER taken it off.
Hard decision. Good luck.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

John57
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 08, 2014 08:57 |  #4

Decision made ... G1X Mk II bought ! I tried one and it is no bigger really than my Panasonic GX1. The extra reach and good image quality won the day over the size advantage of the G7X.

The Canon is a fair bit heavier than the GX1 but I think I can manage that :) It is currently charging before I can play with it ...

Trumper
953 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 08, 2014 09:46 |  #5

The g1x mk11 is a nice solid well built camera.It took me by surprise when i first got it but you take no notice of it after a while.It is well built which makes it more useable i feel.

John57
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 09, 2014 08:28 |  #6

Well, as quick as I bought the camera it has gone back !!

I took about 100 pics .. and there was a focus issue - nothing was sharp in any way even in basic pictures and even in favourable conditions the focus was struggling. I am thinking there was a lens/sensor alignment problem as having had many Canon compacts this was not right.

It has knocked my confidence in the brand so I got my money back.

I was not impressed at all with the focus speed of the G1X II compared to my Panasonic but loved the solid feel of it and ease of use. I will have a think about whether to try another or keep my Panasonic GX1.

Otohp
331 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 09, 2014 10:47 |  #7

John57 wrote in post #17260798 (external link)
Well, as quick as I bought the camera it has gone back !!

I took about 100 pics .. and there was a focus issue - nothing was sharp in any way even in basic pictures and even in favourable conditions the focus was struggling. I am thinking there was a lens/sensor alignment problem as having had many Canon compacts this was not right.

It has knocked my confidence in the brand so I got my money back.

I was not impressed at all with the focus speed of the G1X II compared to my Panasonic but loved the solid feel of it and ease of use. I will have a think about whether to try another or keep my Panasonic GX1.

Bummer :(

I had originally pre-ordered the g7x - but pulled out- just had a feeling I should wait and see... Been taking a hard look at the g1x ii - it sure looks like a winner less a few details.
And I actually think I prefer the fact that it is a bit chunkier.

Sounds like you got a lame copy- where did you order yours from?

Good luck on your next purchase whatever that might end up being :cool:

Otohp.

Trumper
953 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 09, 2014 13:19 |  #8

My g1x mk11 does occasionally struggle with a focus if there isn't a something clear to lock on to.Normally it isn't an issue and i work round it ok but the positives out weigh that by a long way for me.

John57
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 09, 2014 16:42 |  #9

Otohp wrote in post #17261050 (external link)
Bummer :(

I had originally pre-ordered the g7x - but pulled out- just had a feeling I should wait and see... Been taking a hard look at the g1x ii - it sure looks like a winner less a few details.
And I actually think I prefer the fact that it is a bit chunkier.

Sounds like you got a lame copy- where did you order yours from?

Good luck on your next purchase whatever that might end up being :cool:

Otohp.

Mine was from Currys in the UK ... not a special photographic shop - but I guess every now and then you are going to get one wrong.

Otohp
331 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 21, 2014 14:21 |  #10

I'm somewhat interested in the LUMIX LX100- seems a nice package.

Otohp.

Judder ­ Man
759 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 22, 2014 02:50 |  #11

John57 wrote in post #17261625 (external link)
Mine was from Currys in the UK ... not a special photographic shop - but I guess every now and then you are going to get one wrong.

I bought mine from Digital Rev in the UK and would imagine it is cheaper than Currys. Not heard from a large group of our users having focus problems using the touch screen the focus speed and accuracy is very good.
Is it worthwhile getting another copy, it sounds as though IQ is your top priority, the G1x mk11 probably beats the pants off anything else its also pretty good for your other priority of low light.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 22, 2014 08:42 |  #12

I got the G7x for the wife... after LR finally supported it's raws I'm impressed. To me it's close to the ASPC segment. not on DOF but for sharpness/detail I'm impressed.

She's happy

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

John57
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 23, 2014 08:50 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #13

I ended up getting a Panasonic GX7 and love it.

It is an upgrade from my GX1 with lightning fast focus and an electronic VF build in. The package is smaller than a G1X II and IQ superb with the micro 4/3rds sensor. This isn't quite as big a sensor as the G1X II but so far I am really pleased. It certainly focuses a hell of a lot faster and is great in low light.

It is a huge leap ahead of the Panasonic GX1 noise wise.

I love Canon stuff and all of our pro stuff is Canon but on this occasion the Panasonic won me over (and I have 3 lenses I can use too!). FWIW the Panasonic LX100 uses the same sensor albeit cropped but only has a 24-70. I got the GX7 with a 20mm f1.7 (so 40mm in 35mm terms). I already have a 14-42 (28-84) and a 45-175 (90-350).

sponsored links

5,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
GX1 Mk II or GX7 or keep Panasonic GX1 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.