Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Jun 2014 (Monday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox/Cheetah 860 ??

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 09, 2014 07:28 |  #1

Anyone using this flash? Thoughts on it's performance?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2014 07:38 |  #2

V-860 Ving TTL

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 09, 2014 12:39 |  #3

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 09, 2014 12:59 |  #4

scorpio_e wrote in post #16960681 (external link)
Anyone using this flash? Thoughts on it's performance?

• Yes, got it.
  • Yes, use it.
  • Performance, light-wise, is on a par with others of similar specification. No better, no worse than would be expected.
  • Build quality seems better than most other after-market flashes of similar specification - a definite step up from the budget priced offerings with a minimal increase in unit cost. I'd prefer a slighty more matte finish but that's personal preference.
  • Battery performance completely eradicates the need for external battery packs for this size of unit, a considerable boon both in use and when managing charging requirements. No need to juggle multiple chargers/power leads/AA cells any more; and certainly no need to search for multiple wall outlets to feed them. Hence beneficial when travelling with weight restrictions.
  • Handling a single power cell is very much more convenient than juggling four AA cells and the method of removing battery pressure from the compartment door is well worth others copying. I can't imagine any scenario where the door lugs would shear, as has been frequently reported (or the same few reports recycled!!) for the lower priced YN competitor.
  • I don't have a v850 for direct comparison but find the panel light perfectly adequate and certainly no bar to control in low ambient light conditions. Far more inconvience is caused, for me, by ↓↓↓↓
  • The only thing I find totally inexplicable is the omission of the sound facility - it'd be very helpful when changing settings remotely to have that aural confirmation. The common position for the beeper is full of battery compartment and I haven't dismembered a v850 to see where the beeper is in this type, but can't envisage any physical reason why the facility was excluded. Something they'll implement in the Mk 2 perhaps?
  • The non-locking head tilt/swivel is only just sufficiently strong to prevent the body flopping down when fitted horizontally into the Godox 'S'-type bracket. The additional weight of, say, a YN622C remote trigger instead of the Godox FT-16S, is sufficient to make the body tilt down and bang against the lightstand. No real reason for Godox to accomodate other maker's items in their design specification, but real-world users may find reason to use an alternative trigger system.
  • Be interesting to discover the future function of those extra contacts in the battery compartment.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

malow
169 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 09, 2014 15:38 |  #5

Whortleberry wrote in post #16961249 (external link)
]Be interesting to discover the future function of those extra contacts in the battery compartment.

they are not "contact", just cut-out parts on the plastic exposing pins from the internal circuits, to use the space more efficiently.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/malow/13422191​303/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/malow/13422488​154/ (external link)

i sent a message to flashhavoc.com to update his reviews, but got no answer.

EDIT: not the review says it "may not be" connectors ;)

mods: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/malow/ (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 09, 2014 16:36 |  #6

Thanks for the EXCELLENT feedback Phil.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 09, 2014 18:51 |  #7

malow wrote in post #16961572 (external link)
they are not "contact", just cut-out parts on the plastic exposing pins from the internal circuits, to use the space more efficiently.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/malow/13422191​303/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/malow/13422488​154/ (external link)

i sent a message to flashhavoc.com to update his reviews, but got no answer.

EDIT: not the review says it "may not be" connectors ;)

I think you misunderstood my meaning. I wasn't referring to the side of the battery compartment between the battery contact pin set and the battery plastic latch. This is obviously a simple cut-out.

On the v86 (your pix are of the v850, as you captioned), there is a set of 4 pins at the base of the compartment as you look down into it. In the same plane as the battery contacts and the coil spring and adjacent to that spring. Without dissembly, which I don't have time for at present, these look very like the pins for a 4-pin plug. Now they may conceivably be simple solder-through-the-board of a component on the reverse, but if so the pins haven't been clipped short at all on my version. It'll need a little bit of time expending to strip down and check but they don't appear to be simple solder points at this juncture. The v860 does also have the cut-out in the side of the battery compartment as mentioned, the ones I was referring to are in addition to this cut-out. It's actually a moot point what they are at this juncture, mere idle curiosity on my part.

scorpio_e wrote in post #16961711 (external link)
Thanks for the EXCELLENT feedback Phil.

You're very welcome, hope it helped a bit.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

tiler65
398 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 10, 2014 08:47 |  #8

I bought one last week and so far so good, ettl works well and the battery is fantastic.

I have used it with my yn-622 too but not noticed and problems with the head.

The beepless feature is a plus for me because I wouldn't want it beeping at a wedding.

www.tomastleyphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
My Blog (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 10, 2014 11:33 |  #9

I know the battery life is suppose to be great. Do you think you could shoot two weddings without recharging it or would you say one wedding max and recharge?

I have the Cheetah CL 180 and the battery life is crazy !!!!!

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 10, 2014 11:34 |  #10

You helped a LOT Phil. Thanks for taking time out and writing your comments :) I Truly appreciate it !!!

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 10, 2014 12:55 |  #11

scorpio_e wrote in post #16963238 (external link)
I know the battery life is suppose to be great. Do you think you could shoot two weddings without recharging it or would you say one wedding max and recharge?

I have the Cheetah CL 180 and the battery life is crazy !!!!!

I sent my assistant for a simple wedding using V-860 last week and using 1 battery for the end of the church ceremony
and replace to secondary battery for the main event, I won't say 1 battery is enough for the work

I found weakness of V-860 recently, if you put it on standby and it suddenly off, display off, maybe sleep mode,
and you activate shutter again and V-860 turn on, something silly happened

first shot looks like flash did not fire, under exposed other shots miss, over exposure

i have to turn off V-860 and turn it on again and back to normal

I haven't check more detail but this is a bit annoying for the work,
I think, I am gonna disabled sleep mode to prevent this

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 10, 2014 13:34 |  #12

^ NO stupid canon Speedlite" LOVE IT !!!!!!

It say you get 650 full power pops. At 1/2 power that is 1300 images? I would think that would cover a wedding?

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 10, 2014 17:42 |  #13

I wouldn't count on 1300 1/2 power pops. Maybe somewhere in the range of 1100 to be conservative. And I would never rely on a single battery for a paid gig, especially a wedding.

Could you cover a wedding on a single battery? Maybe. Probably. Would I recommend having only one battery to shoot a wedding? Never. Sh!t happens. And you wanna be prepared for when it does.

I have two v850s and one backup battery.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 09, 2014 17:14 |  #14

I'm very close to getting one of these - for the 50% discount on a canon unit it's hard to pass by.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 10, 2014 21:46 |  #15

So far it's been working good for me. The only thing to keep in mind is if you're bouncing, I find I need to set FEC +1.

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

sponsored links

4,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Godox/Cheetah 860 ??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.