Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Nov 2014 (Monday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Constructive opinion wanted

mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
1,704 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 10, 2014 11:57 |  #1

Could I get some opinions on this image?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Website (external link)

CANON

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,586 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Nov 10, 2014 12:00 |  #2

Horrible pose, lackluster background, and terrible facial expression. Sorry but this is one for the bin.

Mark

swbkrun
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 10, 2014 13:11 |  #3

I am sorry to say Mark is right... It appears you just had her sit down for a quick shot. The background is wrinkled, etc... However it appears (IMO) the lighting on her face is good. What were you trying to accomplish when you took this photo? Maybe that will help in some critiques?

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 10, 2014 13:17 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #4

i generally don't say things like this, but this photo doesn't have a single redeeming property.

The only reason i spoke up in such a way is that i have seen some of your recent posts, and know that you are making an effort reinvent yourself. Your past work has largely, maybe exclusively, been shot outside so i'm wondering if you are trying to get into studio work as a way to do something new. You are just learning to be more critical of the work you've already been doing, it might be worth your time to stick with what you know until you are more comfortable with that, then move on to the next thing.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2014 13:26 |  #5

Bad pose, knees separate, toes turned in, shoulders square, sitting on her hands, nothing in that pose is appealing or engaging. The off center crop looks unbalanced. I'd be curious to hear what you were thinking with this framing?

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 10, 2014 13:43 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Agreed. Not much else to say.

Bad expression and odd crop stand out.

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 10, 2014 14:14 |  #7

Aside from this photo being a serious candidate for a poster on "what not to do". I'll put in my 2 cents and hopefully I can be constructive.

1) The choice of focal length has much to be desired. It looks like the photo was shot at around 35mm-40mm at about eye level. Judging by the distortion in the feet compared to the rest of the body. Generally you want to be at at least 50mm or higher for portraits.

2) The lighting is very flat with no direction it looks as though it was bounced off the ceiling as you can see a bit of fade toward the feet and shadows under the chin. If you want to make the most of of a studio setup I suggest using proper studio lighting and learn to use it otherwise it will look like... well this.

3) The pose. Females generally look better turned slightly 3/4. You rarely if ever want to shoot females square shoulder to the camera.

4) Hands... they need to be doing something not hiding under her legs.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,704 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 10, 2014 15:24 |  #8

I have had lights for a while now but don't have a lot of room for them. I really have to shift my den around to play with them so I don't do this everyday because of the amount of work. I was trying to work on lighting a little bit. My child was not to thrilled about sitting in front of the camera. I used 2 Photogenic 1500SL lights with 24x36 softboxes to the side and a off camera flash through an octobox in the front. I was trying to get lighting and color right.

What should have been the light placement?

Website (external link)

CANON

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 10, 2014 16:23 |  #9

Lack of room is an issue. You need the backdrop farther away from the model. Start with lights at 45 deg and have one as the main, one as the fill. Posing has been mentioned by others. Always difficult with an unwilling victim.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,704 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 10, 2014 17:22 as a reply to  @ Hannya's post |  #10

I got off of work and on the way home I decided to trash the den and take some more images. I get so aggravated with myself. I want to conquer this!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link)

CANON

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,704 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 10, 2014 17:23 as a reply to  @ mdaddyrabbit's post |  #11

Last one

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link)

CANON

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2014 17:35 |  #12

Still gotta work on your crops. Cutting off the elboe in the first new shot of your daughter is not good. The second shot is also oddly cropped. It looks like you are going for a rule of thirds crop but that fails when the subject is square to the camera. The negative space might work outside the studio where that area had some visual impact. But as is its just a big heavy blob of boring competing with your subject. For now forgrt about the rule of thirds and creative cropping, its killing your shots.

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,704 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 10, 2014 17:42 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #17263736 (external link)
Still gotta work on your crops. Cutting off the elboe in the first new shot of your daughter is not good. The second shot is also oddly cropped. It looks like you are going for a rule of thirds crop but that fails when the subject is square to the camera. The negative space might work outside the studio where that area had some visual impact. But as is its just a big heavy blob of boring competing with your subject. For now forgrt about the rule of thirds and creative cropping, its killing your shots.

Like this is SOOC with a little sharping

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link)

CANON

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2014 17:52 |  #14

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #17263751 (external link)
Like this is SOOC with a little sharping

Her face is in the middle of the frame and a full third of the frame is empty space above her head.

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,704 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 10, 2014 18:23 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #17263768 (external link)
Her face is in the middle of the frame and a full third of the frame is empty space above her head.

I cropped it down.....what else do I need to do?

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link)

CANON

sponsored links

4,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Constructive opinion wanted
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.