Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX has some serious competition

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 10, 2014 16:54 |  #46

Aressem wrote in post #17263476 (external link)
Lol. Money isn't an issue. If I wanted a 1DX, I would've bought one. I primarily shoot ski and snowboard and enjoy the crop factor. The 7D was a wonderful camera (minus the noise, of course). I can now say with confidence, purchasing the 7D II was a great choice. I'm more than happy with the images at ISO 6400. Are they as good as they 1DX? Of course not. But is the 1DX worth $4000 more? Not a chance. Not in my opinion...

It makes me wonder what the next 1D series is going to be like, with the great reviews this camera is getting.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,120 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 10, 2014 17:23 |  #47

dfbovey wrote in post #17263364 (external link)
I always look at these types of threads as ways for people who buy the cheaper camera to make shaky comments in an attempt to justify their purchase of a less capable camera.

Buy what you can afford, take awesome photos with it. But don't make silly comparisons in the process.

Or perhaps, instead, buy what gets the job done, not what you can afford. There is a big difference in many cases. There are 2 valid trains of thought here, and no need to judge why others ask the questions they do. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

John
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 10, 2014 17:30 |  #48

Thought about getting the 1D X.

But really wanted to save up for the 400mm 2.8 IS II.

So I bought the 7dm2.

Finally picked it up from USPS today. I'll see how it does on Saturday. :cool:

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 10, 2014 17:38 |  #49

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17263718 (external link)
Or perhaps, instead, buy what gets the job done, not what you can afford. There is a big difference in many cases. There are 2 valid trains of thought here, and no need to judge why others ask the questions they do. ;)

There is a difference between the premise of this thread and saying something is simply good enough to get the job done.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,703 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 10, 2014 17:59 |  #50

The fact that we have a sub $2K body that many that know better are saying can be considered as a 1Dx alternative, is pretty amazing. We don;t need to except it as an alternative if we are married to our 1D, but this is not the question, again it just goes back to the fact that we can even chose to put them against each other,.. amazing. This is not something we'd have given much consideration with 7D vs. 1D4, 50D vs 1Ds3, or 10D vs. 1D, 20D vs. 1D2 etc etc etc..

IMHO I concur with the thread title. It is not just hot air. I've read from several people that have shot the 1Dx that this little APS-c is a serious bantam weight contender. Do I think it will grab the Heavyweight title? Not really, but you can bet that the AF in the 7D2 is going to be at the heart of the 1DxII

I'd suggest that people not get defensive about their 1Dx. It too will be obsolete some day.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jwalker175
21 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 10, 2014 18:00 |  #51

I don't think that this can be resolved because it's all up to opinion. Many people like to shoot crop and so many other like FF. For those who prefer crop, or have all crop lenses (like myself) the 7D2 is a much better choice. I don't need what the 1dx has to offer nor can I afford it. For me to upgrade to FF I would need to get all new glass an thats expensive. Bottom line (After my little rant) they are both very different cameras and while they can be compared side-to-side IQ and spec wise, each one will have their own "fan-base" so to speak

EDIT - It's like comparing apple to oranges. Some prefer apples and other prefer oranges, and then there's some people who like both

Canon EOS Rebel T2i - Canon 7D Mark ii
EF-S 18-55 - EF-S 55-250 STM - EF 50 f1.8 II - EF-S 60 f2.8 Macro - EF-40 f2.8
Redbubble (external link) - Flickr (external link)

awilson18
328 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 10, 2014 18:00 |  #52

Tigerkn wrote in post #17263289 (external link)
Thanks Mike. I am considering 7D2 as back up for 5D3 instead of the 6D. More reading.....

I'm in the same boat....

5D Mark III / 24-70 2.8L MK II / 70-200 2.8L IS MK II / Sigma 50 1.4 Art / 430 EX II / YN 568 EX II / YN-622C / YN 622C-TX

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 10, 2014 18:20 |  #53

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17263642 (external link)
Here's the real one
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

For me the benefit of larger AF coverage is a big factor that I cherish from my old 1D bodies.

Wow. Not sure how I overlooked that. Thanks for clearing that up. Nonetheless, my point still stands. The 7D II's AF system covers more of the frame than any camera. And to say, "well of course it does, it's a crop camera" is a ridiculous statement. Look every other crop camera that exists. All that aside, the 1DX is due for a replacement soon and I'm certain the new body will boast an AF system that covers just as much of the frame as the 7D II and then some. :P

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 10, 2014 18:46 |  #54

I was/am hoping the 7DII kicks some serious butt. Not that I am interested in buying one, I am quite happy with my 1D's thank you.

But if Canon knocked it out of the park with the 7DII, that would get me very excited about what Canon has in store for the next 1D body.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 10, 2014 18:53 |  #55

The statement I heard was that, basically, if you NEED to shoot above 6400 on a regular basis, are doing work where you're *hard* on your gear (constantly banging it around, etc), really need the extra shred of DoF from a FF sensor, are working in truly hostile environments for long periods of time or you NEED the extra couple of FPS that the 1Dx gives you, then the 1Dx is what you should buy.

Otherwise, the 7DII should cover the needs. Wants, on the other hand...<shrug> :p

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,118 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 10, 2014 19:32 |  #56

Gaarryy wrote in post #17263668 (external link)
It makes me wonder what the next 1D series is going to be like, with the great reviews this camera is getting.

when I saw that the Rebels inherited the 40D/50D/60D AF system... I though - oh! what is the 60D successor going to get?!

it got the 7D AF system

So yes, if the the 7D2 got the 1DX AF system... makes ya wonder what the 1DX successor will get...

the 7D2 seems to have a magnificent crop sensor so if they transfer that technology to the new 5D(4) and 1DX(whatever the successor will be called) - they aught to have a winner! [If its near the D810 sensor, anyways]

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 10, 2014 19:57 |  #57

Crazy how many people give advice comparing the cameras without using them both. Or even one of them.

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,514 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 10, 2014 20:06 |  #58

John wrote in post #17263187 (external link)
How did the pros shoot anything before digital SLRs? :cool:

It was more difficult. My wedding photographer in 1997 used a MF TLR camera and she did a nice job. At about that same price point today I could probably get a person with the same skills, much better equipment and overall more and better pictures.

Ever look at older (like, 1970s and 1980s) sports photos in nationwide, glossy magazines? They are not especially impressive. I see local enthusiasts making better images (from a focus, noise, sharpness) perspective today while shooting local high school games. It's amazing what technology has wrought.

On topic for this thread, I'm sure the 7D2 is a nice camera but I'm guessing it isn't the same as the 1DX, and unlike the OP's comments I would list its FOV at any focal length to be a liability, not an advantage.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,691 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2014 21:53 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #59

I have tested and shot with a 1DX and I wound up with 3 5D3s. Love the 5D3 for my wedding work but also loved the AF of the 1Dx- for me the 5D3 and 1Dx files are identical but the AF on a 1Dx- wow -- the 7D2 has the 1DX AF- for me- when canon killed off the 1.3 sensor they really hurt the options for working pros- myself and many I talk with miss the advantage the 1.3 fov gave with a 1D series AF system. 7D2 just fixed that . I can't wait to get my hands on this thing

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

JDeluis
124 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 11, 2014 00:15 |  #60

Immaculens wrote in post #17263984 (external link)
when I saw that the Rebels inherited the 40D/50D/60D AF system... I though - oh! what is the 60D successor going to get?!

it got the 7D AF system

So yes, if the the 7D2 got the 1DX AF system... makes ya wonder what the 1DX successor will get...

the 7D2 seems to have a magnificent crop sensor so if they transfer that technology to the new 5D(4) and 1DX(whatever the successor will be called) - they aught to have a winner! [If its near the D810 sensor, anyways]

The 70D is missing spot and single point expansion.

Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

14,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX has some serious competition
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.