Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 05:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For what its worth

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 11, 2014 05:29 |  #1

We all know that eos cameras are not being rated to its full potential by Dxo
Read on...

http://www.dslrbodies.​com …u-believe-in-dxomark.html (external link)

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,443 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 11, 2014 06:13 |  #2

sega62 wrote in post #17264639 (external link)
We all know that eos cameras are not being rated to its full potential by Dxo
Read on...

http://www.dslrbodies.​com …u-believe-in-dxomark.html (external link)

This has been discussed to death here and elsewhere. If you are looking for a ranking from anywhere, you'll be influenced by what that reviewer thinks is important in a camera.

But if you look at the details of the testing...you will dig out good information about the sensors in the cameras. I find the details presented by DXO to be very relevant and enlightening. If all you are looking for is some form of rating with camera X being the best...then you'll be disappointed with any reviewer.

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 11, 2014 06:52 |  #3

Hogloff wrote in post #17264669 (external link)
This has been discussed to death here and elsewhere. If you are looking for a ranking from anywhere, you'll be influenced by what that reviewer thinks is important in a camera.

But if you look at the details of the testing...you will dig out good information about the sensors in the cameras. I find the details presented by DXO to be very relevant and enlightening. If all you are looking for is some form of rating with camera X being the best...then you'll be disappointed with any reviewer.

We can read this part that says this bout Dxo

Third, they sell their test equipment and software test suites to camera companies (Nikon, for instance, but I don’t believe Canon is one of their clients).

Nope, ai t going to start anything, but one of these days I would like to get my friend's camera and compare it to mine, two full frames, two big brands to say the least 😜

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,443 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 11, 2014 10:26 |  #4

sega62 wrote in post #17264705 (external link)
We can read this part that says this bout Dxo

Third, they sell their test equipment and software test suites to camera companies (Nikon, for instance, but I don’t believe Canon is one of their clients).

Nope, ai t going to start anything, but one of these days I would like to get my friend's camera and compare it to mine, two full frames, two big brands to say the least

You lost me here. Test data does not lie...gut feel data is very suspect. I'd rather look at real honest data and make up my own mind than have some fluffy gut feel review.

YMMV.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 11, 2014 10:29 |  #5

I just look at images.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 11, 2014 10:48 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #17265089 (external link)
I just look at images.

Very best,

</thread> ;)

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 11, 2014 10:56 |  #7

I think the data they generate is quite interesting and does seem to be done in a decently scientific manner. It would be useful if they did they did separate best sensor tables for different ISO values though. When I first went on the site it just looked like Canon cameras were beaten by just about everything else. It was only playing around on the site that you find things aren't as bad as the scores on that table would make you think.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 11, 2014 11:11 |  #8

I just look at images.

Very best,

you just moved to the top of the Dynamic Range Mafia's hit list with this statement:)

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,443 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 11, 2014 12:58 |  #9

I just look at images.

Very best,

Too much post processing influences images. Are you looking at the post processing skills of the photographer or the results from the sensor?

MalVeauX
12,710 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 11, 2014 15:15 |  #10

Hogloff wrote in post #17265403 (external link)
Are you looking at the post processing skills of the photographer or the results from the sensor?

Irrelevant if the image satisfies what it was meant to in the medium it was intended for.

Also, are we looking at what YOU did as a photographer, or what a sensor made by someone else did, and you just pushed a button?

Very best,

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 11, 2014 15:24 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

MalVeauX wrote in post #17265667 (external link)
Irrelevant if the image satisfies what it was meant to in the medium it was intended for.

Also, are we looking at what YOU did as a photographer, or what a sensor made by someone else did, and you just pushed a button?

Very best,

Really? So gear has nothing or very little to do with it?

80% of POTN is about camera technology. Which is why this board is so active. People want to know whats new? What technological barriers breakthroughs are on the horizon?

If we only cared about the photographer than there should only be a photo display thread and we shouldn't really care about new cameras/technology.

MalVeauX
12,710 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 11, 2014 15:31 |  #12

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #17265682 (external link)

80% of POTN is about camera technology. Which is why this board is so active. People want to know whats new? What technological barriers breakthroughs are on the horizon?

If we only cared about the photographer than there should only be a photo display thread and we shouldn't really care about new cameras/technology.

If you are familiar with Hogloff on this forum, you would understand my post. ;)

Very best,

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 11, 2014 16:07 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

MalVeauX wrote in post #17265691 (external link)
If you are familiar with Hogloff on this forum, you would understand my post. ;)

Very best,

Still doesn't answer my question.

JWdlft
293 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 11, 2014 16:51 |  #14

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #17265682 (external link)

That's not what MalVeauX said, not even close.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 11, 2014 16:56 |  #15

I just look at images.

Very best,

Word.

That said, the trivia browsing at DxO is entertaining from time to time.

sponsored links

10,453 views & 0 likes for this thread
For what its worth
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.