Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,825 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 12, 2014 06:19 |  #1726

Well, my 7D 2 gets here today, the battery grip tomorrow and the Kirk camera plate should be here by Saturday or so. I already have the cards and extra batteries on hand. I'll still have to wait on an L bracket until the designs are finished.

That takes care of the equipment. On to me. I'm sure it's going to take me some time to understand this camera. I will get there, eventually. I should be able to get out to the local nature preserve tomorrow for birding. It won't get here in time for today. I won't be able to use my monopod until I get the camera plate.

After that, my work schedule gets crazy. We're about to enter into a busy season, i.e., 6 12 hour shifts in a row, a day off and repeat. I'll find time to make sure my 7D 2 is working as designed, somehow.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,912 posts
Gallery: 2491 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2014 06:48 |  #1727

Yes the second is a fairly large crop. One I guess I could have left out of this post. I was play with it late last night. It did look better when I was tired lol.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sharod
613 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2014 06:54 |  #1728

Pondrader wrote in post #17266988 (external link)
Yes the second is a fairly large crop. One I guess I could have left out of this post. I was play with it late last night. It did look better when I was tired lol.

Uh, no!!!! I am glad you posted it! Evergreens and birds, they just go together!!!

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 12, 2014 06:58 |  #1729

Pondrader wrote in post #17266988 (external link)

No it looks good.

I think your AF point might have hit on the branch though - those needles give the AF something really yummy to try to lock on to and the actual AF area for a given point is somewhat larger than the box. Given how much of it is in focus it looks pretty likely that it focused there and left the bird along the back edge of the focal plane.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Pondrader
15,912 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2014 06:58 |  #1730

1/250, f8, iso800 jpeg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7540/15770406581_c30502076a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/q2zs​rK  (external link) IMG_8698 (external link) by Jeff Manser (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,912 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2014 07:00 |  #1731

Keyan wrote in post #17267000 (external link)
No it looks good.

I think your AF point might have hit on the branch though - those needles give the AF something really yummy to try to lock on to and the actual AF area for a given point is somewhat larger than the box. Given how much of it is in focus it looks pretty likely that it focused there and left the bird along the back edge of the focal plane.

I think your right, I guess your getting the good and the bad, lol

flickr (external link)

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,438 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 12, 2014 07:17 |  #1732

I have been reading lots of reviews about the sensor in the 7D2 and how it does not compare to the Sony or even some of the micro four-third sensors. The DxO Mark review was not very kind at all to the 7D2. For me, with the investment I have in Canon gear already, I don't really care if the 7D2 beats the Nikon or Sony, I can't afford to switch to those brands and discard all my Canon gear. What I cared about before I purchased the 7D2 was whether or not the 7D2 was a significant enough upgrade over my 7D for me to make the investement. From the few days I have spent with the 7D2 so far, and keeping in mind that I can't process anything in LR yet, I find the 7D2 to be a huge update to the 7D and am very happy with my purchase.

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,912 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2014 07:37 |  #1733

This truly is a camera .....Made for Creator's,. I pay zero attention to all that crap. spending your day zoomed in to the shadows of your images must be a ton of fun. I guess for some it is. Thats why we are all individuals in photography, So we don't have to all look the same.

flickr (external link)

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 12, 2014 07:56 |  #1734

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17266709 (external link)
Adobes too busy trying to figure out how to squeeze you for more money via a forced LR subscription plan to worry about coding for a new RAW standard.

I don't expect adobe to jump every time a new body and a new raw information is out and rush to put out a new version.
They have their own cycle. There is nothing wrong with that.

Just import and convert to TIFF with the DPP, and everything works out fine.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 12, 2014 07:59 |  #1735

Tell me, how may photographers get paid for taking pics of test charts all day long? How many photographers get paid for action shots that are out of focus or missed the moment with a slow frame rate? You get paid with RESULTS, not test charts, so get the camera that gets results. Same for hobbyists like me - I want the tool that can get the shots I want, and in this case the 7D2 is one heck of a tool for that. The ultimately minor differences between modern sensors doesn't matter a lick if the shots are out of focus or I hate the ergonomics.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

azeryboy
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 12, 2014 08:01 |  #1736

Has any one tried an off camera flash with the 7D Mark II. I used the built in flash as wireless master and set the settings to only fire the off camera flash. For my off camera flash i used Yongnuo 568ex ii. Everything was set to E-TTL. My exposures were all over the place. Sometimes it would completely overexpose...the whole frame looked white. Other times the frame was completely dark. I tried changing the batteries and that did not help. I played with flash metering and both average and evaluative metering gave me similar results. Its almost like the flash timing was off (maybe I had flicker detection on...would that cause issues?). Using the same setup with my T4i I never had any issues. Finally I put the yongnuo flash on my camera and it worked like a charm. So I don't know if it's because of yongnuo no working well with the new camera or there is a bug in the 7d mark II ...or if it is the flicker detection system that is messing with the flash. I will check the flicker detection this evening to see if that has anything to do with it. However I do not have an official Canon flash to check to see if it's an issue with yongnuo or the 7d mark II. If someone has a free moment can you try replicating this and letting me know how it went. (The off camera flash was set directly at the subject and I tried bouncing off the wall also...no help)

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 12, 2014 08:21 |  #1737

Keyan wrote in post #17267056 (external link)
Tell me, how may photographers get paid for taking pics of test charts all day long? How many photographers get paid for action shots that are out of focus or missed the moment with a slow frame rate? You get paid with RESULTS, not test charts, so get the camera that gets results. Same for hobbyists like me - I want the tool that can get the shots I want, and in this case the 7D2 is one heck of a tool for that. The ultimately minor differences between modern sensors doesn't matter a lick if the shots are out of focus or I hate the ergonomics.

Yuuuuuuuuup. +1

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 12, 2014 08:23 |  #1738

azeryboy wrote in post #17267059 (external link)
Has any one tried an off camera flash with the 7D Mark II. I used the built in flash as wireless master and set the settings to only fire the off camera flash. For my off camera flash i used Yongnuo 568ex ii. Everything was set to E-TTL. My exposures were all over the place. Sometimes it would completely overexpose...the whole frame looked white. Other times the frame was completely dark. I tried changing the batteries and that did not help. I played with flash metering and both average and evaluative metering gave me similar results. Its almost like the flash timing was off (maybe I had flicker detection on...would that cause issues?). Using the same setup with my T4i I never had any issues. Finally I put the yongnuo flash on my camera and it worked like a charm. So I don't know if it's because of yongnuo no working well with the new camera or there is a bug in the 7d mark II ...or if it is the flicker detection system that is messing with the flash. I will check the flicker detection this evening to see if that has anything to do with it. However I do not have an official Canon flash to check to see if it's an issue with yongnuo or the 7d mark II. If someone has a free moment can you try replicating this and letting me know how it went. (The off camera flash was set directly at the subject and I tried bouncing off the wall also...no help)

For starters, let's just make sure you're shooting in M with no auto ISO on. This will rule out a lot, right away. It's not unlikely though, that YN's wireless transceivers are wigging out because the camera is so new and they are struggling to communicate.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

azeryboy
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 12, 2014 08:27 |  #1739

Aressem wrote in post #17267089 (external link)
For starters, let's just make sure you're shooting in M with no auto ISO on. This will rule out a lot, right away. It's not unlikely though, that YN's wireless transceivers are wigging out because the camera is so new and they are struggling to communicate.

You are correct I should have mentioned this. I was shooting in M but I did have the auto ISO on. However, as soon as you pop up the flash auto ISO goes straight to 400 and stays there. I will try again by manually setting the ISO to 400.

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 12, 2014 08:33 |  #1740

azeryboy wrote in post #17267096 (external link)
You are correct I should have mentioned this. I was shooting in M but I did have the auto ISO on. However, as soon as you pop up the flash auto ISO goes straight to 400 and stays there. I will try again by manually setting the ISO to 400.

Why not just set it at ISO 100? 400 isn't necessary. And what do you mean "pop up"? I thought you were using a wireless transceiver and OCF?...

sponsored links

5,887,303 views & 91,795 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.