Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6d or 5dmk3

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,894 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 10, 2014 16:33 |  #31

dfbovey wrote in post #17263551 (external link)
If the 6D is supposed to focus better in low light, why has the 6D failed to initiate focus in situations I mentioned, where the 5D3 hasn't had the same issue? ...

I could not answer that, it is the opposite of the experiences I had.

Anyway, I still believe the 5D3 is by far the better "all around" camera for a lot of reasons.

But that the 6D offers slightly better IQ, slightly better noise handling, and slightly better AF in "some situations" , and has some features that some people want that the 5D3 does not have (wifi etc.) for about $1K lower price, well, that's a pretty good deal!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 10, 2014 16:39 |  #32

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17263614 (external link)
I could not answer that, it is the opposite of the experiences I had.

Anyway, I still believe the 5D3 is by far the better "all around" camera for a lot of reasons.

But that the 6D offers slightly better IQ, slightly better noise handling, and slightly better AF in "some situations" , and has some features that some people want that the 5D3 does not have (wifi etc.) for about $1K lower price, well, that's a pretty good deal!

Those were the reasons I was sold on when I spent the money. Starting to think I need to have it serviced.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

deanedward
407 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 10, 2014 22:16 |  #33

If you can afford it, get the 5D Mark III. It's really a better all-around camera.

Make yourself heard
EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 70D, EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, Speedlite 430EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deanmejos/ (external link)

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 13, 2014 05:44 |  #34

I'm also having this debate with myself so this is an interesting read. We (my wife and I) shoot mainly portraits, food, cars (mainly static) and some wildlife. Also, as she is a travel writer, interiors of hotels and restaurants also feature and some of these go for magazine publication. Our dilemma is increased by the fact that we want to both keep on the same kit as when travelling, sharing chargers, batteries etc is a big bonus as we can travel lighter. So 2 x 6D's would be way easier to afford that 2 x 5D III's but we don't want to compromise too much.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 13, 2014 07:03 |  #35

Jonathan wrote in post #17269154 (external link)
I'm also having this debate with myself so this is an interesting read. We (my wife and I) shoot mainly portraits, food, cars (mainly static) and some wildlife. Also, as she is a travel writer, interiors of hotels and restaurants also feature and some of these go for magazine publication. Our dilemma is increased by the fact that we want to both keep on the same kit as when travelling, sharing chargers, batteries etc is a big bonus as we can travel lighter. So 2 x 6D's would be way easier to afford that 2 x 5D III's but we don't want to compromise too much.

For what you shoot, the 6D is ideal. :)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,390 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 13, 2014 07:08 |  #36

Jonathan wrote in post #17269154 (external link)

Why not a 6D + 7D2 instead of 2x5D3 or 2x6D, cheaper over all and it will let you use your 3 EF-S lenses on the 7D2 (on FF camera they will not work ;) )

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,992 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 13, 2014 07:20 |  #37

dfbovey wrote in post #17263551 (external link)
If the 6D is supposed to focus better in low light, why has the 6D failed to initiate focus in situations I mentioned, where the 5D3 hasn't had the same issue? This issue seems to be contained to the 100mm f/2.8 IS macro and 70-200 f/2.8 IS version one in my lens collection. At one shoot I had to take the 70-200 off and put the 24-70 on and move in closer so that I could continue shooting with the 6D. And with the macro instances I had to take the lens off and put it on my 1D4, 6D wouldn't even try to focus.

I'm not asking to be a smart ass or anything, I'm just wondering what would cause it?

Were both in the same AF mode? (AI servo vs One Shot)

Were both focused on the same exact object during the test?

One shot takes longer but almost always will lock on just about anything. AI Servo can be hit or miss. Also just because there is a low light situation, each object reflects light off differently, and all that is needed is a small glint of light for AF to work. You could take a 5D2 into a pitch black room and have just a tiny power LED light on, and it will AF. The same is true with the 5D3 and obviously the 6D, having a more modern AF system than the 5D2.

Not all AF objects are created equal... :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 13, 2014 10:31 |  #38

Had the 5D3. Sold it. Replacing with 6D.

Never used the AF bells and whistles. I'm a center point kind of guy. I did a restaurant shoot a while back (during live hours) primarily using the 35L and 5D3 and it was having quite the fit with racking focus.

For what I shoot, the ability to lock consistently in low-light on 1 focus point outweighs 50 additional AF points that I never used.

I will miss the dual slots and file naming though.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 13, 2014 12:10 |  #39

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17269226 (external link)
Why not a 6D + 7D2 instead of 2x5D3 or 2x6D, cheaper over all and it will let you use your 3 EF-S lenses on the 7D2 (on FF camera they will not work ;) )

That's an interesting idea but we want to carry less gear not more. We need one each in terms of bodies. The accept that going FF will mean that we lose the EFS lenses - that's a given and will fund other upgrades to EF lenses.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 13, 2014 12:19 |  #40

How are the outer points in the dark on the 5d3 vs the 6d for people who have used both?

Some of my feedback

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 13, 2014 12:56 |  #41

hang your cross wrote in post #17269732 (external link)
How are the outer points in the dark on the 5d3 vs the 6d for people who have used both?

The far outer on the 5D3 / 6D are about the same, neither are cross-type. On the next inner 2 rows the 5D3 are cross-type, while the only cross-type on the 6D is the center point. Other than the 6D center point, I *think* the sensitivity is the same as far as EV value goes, but don't quote me on that.

Basically if you're someone who uses outer focus points and doesn't focus/recompose, you're going to be better off with the 5D3.

6d

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'binary/octet-stream'

5d3 (ignore the Nikon on the left)

IMAGE: http://blog.kareldonk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/afpoints.jpg

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 13, 2014 13:07 |  #42

Yeah, I have a 6D and I think I've reached it's limits. I shoot bands and it's hard to do the center / recompose so I try to use the outer and it's dam near impossible.

Some of my feedback

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 13, 2014 14:20 |  #43

hang your cross wrote in post #17269826 (external link)
Yeah, I have a 6D and I think I've reached it's limits. I shoot bands and it's hard to do the center / recompose so I try to use the outer and it's dam near impossible.

I honestly haven't read much of anything about the 7D2, but if the low-light performance is comparable to the 5D3, and outer-edge focus point selection/accuracy is a big issue, 7D2 might be a better option for you than the 5D3. Smaller sensor will allow the AF points to get much closer to the edge.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

P1et
386 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 13, 2014 17:55 |  #44

quadwing wrote in post #17261338 (external link)
I'm gonna be real. I own a 6D. I'm starting to become extremely unhappy with the autofocus for my kind of work--portraiture. The AF sucks. It sucks really badly. I'm buying a 5D3 soon because of this. Get the 5D3 and you'll be happy.

I needed to see that. Thanks for our candidness.

Canon 50D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | 580EX II | 430EX | ST-E2

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 13, 2014 18:48 |  #45

quadwing wrote in post #17261338 (external link)
I'm gonna be real. I own a 6D. I'm starting to become extremely unhappy with the autofocus for my kind of work--portraiture. The AF sucks. It sucks really badly. I'm buying a 5D3 soon because of this. Get the 5D3 and you'll be happy.

So you don't own a 5D3 yet, but you're recommending it anyway?

If a photographer can't get a good portrait with a 6D, I would be surprised if he/she could get a good portrait with any camera.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

sponsored links

9,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
6d or 5dmk3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.