Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 06:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Pouch?

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 12, 2014 06:32 |  #1

Hey guys,

So I guess from now one I am a prime shooter ;)
I have 2 primes for my 60D as of now, Sigma 35mm ART and Canon 135mm f2.0.

I want an ability to carry both lenses on me, so while one lens is on my camera, I have to put the 2nd one in some kind of pouch.
I have the spyder holster system and the belt it comes with.

So I have 2 questions
1) Is anyone using a lens pouch for lens exchange? Do you guys find them easy to use/worth it?

2) If yes, than what kind of pouch should I get?
2 options I have come across so far.

- Lowerpro lens exchange case 100AW
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=MXCpZZZD364 (external link)

- Spyder Holster Lens Pouch
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=b9fKaoyr6Bk (external link)

At first it seems that the lowerpro is better, but I think spyder works just as good even though it doesn't have the 2nd swappable lens section because the camera stays on spyder while you take the lens out. Also it seems the spyder has a little more room and you can put the lens in with the lens hood one. (if we compare medium sized lowerpro to medium sized spyder). I am not 100% sure about that though ...

Any recommendations? Of course if I could try these at stores than it would be easy to decide, but the problem is I have to order it on-line and can't find them in stores ...

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

yar6rider
522 posts
Gallery: 274 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 12, 2014 11:07 |  #2

I do. I have Lowerpro lens exchange case 200AW switching between 24-70L and 100-400mm. Totally love it

Canon 1DIV, 7D gripped, 50D gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 300 f2.8L
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=12716402#po​st12716402
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/yar6rider/ (external link)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/JimmyQphotography (external link)

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 12, 2014 19:11 |  #3

I use thinktank

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 13, 2014 09:07 |  #4

I use the Lowepro S&F and have the 100AW. The 100AW works well as designed, but more often I use regular Lowepro lens cases that are more slim and store each of my lenses. This just makes it easy to grab the right lens and go. I don't really have issues switching lenses with two hands while the camera hangs from a strap. If I really expect one-handed exchange is needed, I'll take the 100AW.

The primary difference I found with Spyder or Thinktank is the open top or drawstring. I think an open top is a little faster if you switch lenses frequently. On the other hand, it doesn't protect as well from water and dust. I only use a belt for action shooting outdoors, so decided I wanted cases with a flap. It also adds protection if I need to pack the lenses for travel. If I were only using a belt indoors or in nice weather, I might prefer an open top case.

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 17, 2014 11:48 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #5

I am really leaning towards the spyder medium lens pouch as opposed to Lowerpro Medium Pouch (as I think my 35MM ART and in the future 135mm L will not fit in there with their hoods on). Plus I like the fact that the top can always be open for even faster lens exchange.

That said, I can not find the spyder lens pouch anywhere in Canada and the shipping form B&H is $50, that's pretty steep ! :cry:
Maybe I should go for Lowerpro system :confused:

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Pouch?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.