Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So CPW Street Price works the same way as Greentoe, right?

Nethawked
802 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 11, 2014 16:54 |  #16

A big difference for me, and one I hope to have resolved with an explanation - Greentoe wants my credit card information at the same time I propose a price. CPW vendors request this information only after that vendor has been selected. I don't care who you are or how much I save, the former strategy will not work for me.

sponsored links
John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 11, 2014 17:43 |  #17

Nethawked wrote in post #17265864 (external link)
I don't care who you are or how much I save, the former strategy will not work for me.

I have no idea how you buy anything on the internet then.

With that said, no one is forcing you to use either service. Use whatever makes you most comfortable.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Nethawked
802 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 11, 2014 18:23 |  #18

I'm not sure how people get by without reading comprehension either, but apparently some do.

Do you throw your credit card around without knowing in advance who debits it and confirmation of what they're charging you for? Scratch that, you've apparently answered already. Carry on.

Edit: My apologies, this was a bit harsh. There are vendors with whom I refuse to do business with, and with Greentoe I don't have that control apparently. From their FAQ once a deal has been accepted your card is charged without knowing who you are buying from. I'm probably not the only one who has a problem with this model.

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 11, 2014 19:15 |  #19

Nethawked wrote in post #17266065 (external link)
I'm not sure how people get by without reading comprehension either, but apparently some do.

Do you throw your credit card around without knowing in advance who debits it and confirmation of what they're charging you for? Scratch that, you've apparently answered already. Carry on.

Edit: My apologies, this was a bit harsh. There are vendors with whom I refuse to do business with, and with Greentoe I don't have that control apparently. From their FAQ once a deal has been accepted your card is charged without knowing who you are buying from. I'm probably not the only one who has a problem with this model.

You need to lighten up, bud. :cool: Not sure if you are mad at me or mad at yourself for not being able to trust a service that a lot of other POTN'ers have used.

Again, no one is forcing you to use one or the other. Go with CPW if you'll are more comfortable with their process. Regardless of what you choose, you should be able to save some money and get some good gear.

Nethawked
802 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 13, 2014 12:45 |  #20

Mad, not at all. I just pointed out that you didn't understand my first message, or the reason for resisting giving my credit card out without complete information. That you choose to do so is fine, it's just not for me. Greentoe has a very compelling business model and great service, but as I've suggested to the CEO, the current process may not work for everyone.

Here are pertinent entries from their FAQ:

Why do consumers have to give a credit card before they can place an offer?

In order for a retailer to be interested in your offer, they have to know that you are serious about buying the product. You need to be committed to the sale in order for this model to work.

I may be committed to the sale but not the vendor. This is perfectly valid.

When do you charge my credit card?

Your credit card is only charged when your offer is accepted

This fundamentally shifts ownership of the purchase process from consumer to vendor. Your comment "I have no idea how you buy anything on the internet then" bears no resemblance to normal internet commerce. You're not mad that you jumped to silly conclusions are you? :)

Can I change my mind after a retailer accepts my offer?

Once you place an offer, you are committed. However, we have a 14 day return policy for all items that you buy on our site, regardless of the retailer that accepts your offer.

Does Greentoe.com share my customer data?

The only time we share your data is when an offer is accepted. We do this because the retailers need your information to make the sale and process your order. However, we never share your credit card number.

This piece of comms needs some work. It's wrong on different levels and altogether unclear. Different vendors have different privacy policies which we altogether give up with this model. Moreover, this FAQ entry is incorrect, of course they have to share your credit card number in order to make the sale and have order processed.

Hey, if it works for you that's great. I did not criticize anyone for using greentoe, I just stated why, in my opinion, the process is flawed. Your judgment was not warranted. Don't be mad, don't be a knuckle dragger. Thanks.

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 13, 2014 13:33 |  #21

Nethawked wrote in post #17269781 (external link)
Mad, not at all. I just pointed out that you didn't understand my first message, or the reason for resisting giving my credit card out without complete information. That you choose to do so is fine, it's just not for me. Greentoe has a very compelling business model and great service, but as I've suggested to the CEO, the current process may not work for everyone.

Here are pertinent entries from their FAQ:

I may be committed to the sale but not the vendor. This is perfectly valid.

This fundamentally shifts ownership of the purchase process from consumer to vendor. Your comment "I have no idea how you buy anything on the internet then" bears no resemblance to normal internet commerce. You're not mad that you jumped to silly conclusions are you? :)

This piece of comms needs some work. It's wrong on different levels and altogether unclear. Different vendors have different privacy policies which we altogether give up with this model. Moreover, this FAQ entry is incorrect, of course they have to share your credit card number in order to make the sale and have order processed.

Hey, if it works for you that's great. I did not criticize anyone for using greentoe, I just stated why, in my opinion, the process is flawed. Your judgment was not warranted. Don't be mad, don't be a knuckle dragger. Thanks.

Perhaps I did miss your point but I think you also missed mine. If the concern is not knowing who the seller will be in terms of their overall reputation, I guess you never used ebay/Hotwire/priceline​/Amazon 3rd party seller before? If that is the case then I agree a reverse bidding site like Greentoe is not for you and there is no need to continue this completely useless "debate". It seems like to me you are out to convince me not to trust a service like Greentoe when all I'm suggesting to you is go with CPW.

With that said, you need to accept the fact that some (if not many) POTN'ers (disclaimer: myself included) have used Greentoe successfully if this thread is of any indication. Personally, the sellers that Greentoe has matched me up with were all authorized sellers of the manufacturers.

This isn't also to say that the service CPW provides is any less or more stellar. I recently went through CPW for my new 7DII purchase and am very happy with how everything turned out.

If this will make you feel better and put this to bed: you're right, I'm wrong. Go use CPW. :rolleyes:

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 13, 2014 18:51 |  #22

While you guys are bickering, perhaps Andrew and Gordon can address my concerns listed above... that is unless your derailment chased them away already.

Randy...

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 13, 2014 19:18 |  #23

dog rocket wrote in post #17270558 (external link)
While you guys are bickering, perhaps Andrew and Gordon can address my concerns listed above...

dog rocket wrote in post #17265715 (external link)
I'm curious how returns are handled (for any reason) as well as shipping snafu's, etc.

I'll let Andrew speak for his service, but for CPW Street Prices, the simple answer is: once you confirm your intent to buy, street price orders are handled completely the same as normal web transactions. Return policy, customer service, the rare lost shipment or other SNAFUs, everything. Your transaction is directly done with the store at that point, and you won't be treated any different than if you paid full price. *

Our retailers have a great 30-day return policy, and cover the cost of your return shipping if the item is defective, while shipping you a replacement, and even offer price adjustment in certain situations (like a new instant or mail-in rebate starting). Customer service is through the normal store's customer service channel.

It might seem counter-intuitive that retailers are able to offer the same return policy & service as full-price customers, but retailers recognize that customers who buy via CPW Street Price are less likely to be credit card fraudsters, less likely to return items unnecessarily, and retailers hope to win you over into being good long-term customers for them.

* The one exception to the "same as full-price" rule is: full-price customers often get low-value freebies, like free bags, filters, memory cards, "reward credit", free expedited shipping, etc. These aren't included at street price. Rather than "free" stuff, it's already factored into a lower price.

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 13, 2014 20:31 |  #24

Nethawked wrote in post #17270246 (external link)
Is it OK, can I continue to voice my opinion without judgment, ridicule or gauging my experience with internet commerce? That's your call, not mine.

I'm pretty sure it's okay for you and I to have different opinions. You voiced yours and I voiced mine. I think that's fair. I didn't think the personal attack was fair but I suppose this is the internet afterall. If you took any of my comments personally, I apologize, I did not mean to come across that way.

</bickering> :p

Wish you nothing but the best in your search for the safest retailer.

As for Greentoe and CPW, I wish both continued success, I think they are very valuable especially in the Canon community with helping to save all of us some cash.

StarJack
610 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 14, 2014 03:18 |  #25

John wrote in post #17270718 (external link)
As for Greentoe and CPW, I wish both continued success, I think they are very valuable especially in the Canon community with helping to save all of us some cash.

And there you have it. :cool:

Regards,
Steve

photobyramin
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 15, 2014 08:38 |  #26

[QUOTE=PhotoPrice;1725​6592]Sorry for the public debate, but I have to reply to some of these statements!

I disagree, and am not sure with what data you made a blanket statement like this, Andrew. Our CPW street prices are answered within hours and most orders are processed and shipped the same day as receiving a reader's confirmation of intent to purchase. Also, there are many stories of Greentoe offers never being replied to, for days...

I contacted CPW with a question whether additional lenses will be added to the street price list, and never got a reply back.

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 15, 2014 13:31 |  #27

photobyramin wrote in post #17273220 (external link)
I contacted CPW with a question whether additional lenses will be added to the street price list, and never got a reply back.

Hi Ramin,

I answered your e-mail on November 6th that same day -- and the answer was:

Unfortunately, we do not foresee adding the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS, or other such lenses, to street price. The reason why is, there is no strict MAP on older Sigma lenses, and retailers regularly discount this lens (every few months it's gone for $420). It's doubtful a street price would be below these deal prices, so there is no point for us to offer one :-)

We have been experiencing some problems with mail to hotmail addresses being classified as junk (especially e-mails that have lots of dollar signs $ in them, for some reason?!), so please do check your junk folders.

photobyramin
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 15, 2014 17:36 |  #28

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17273619 (external link)
Hi Ramin,

I answered your e-mail on November 6th that same day -- and the answer was:

Unfortunately, we do not foresee adding the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS, or other such lenses, to street price. The reason why is, there is no strict MAP on older Sigma lenses, and retailers regularly discount this lens (every few months it's gone for $420). It's doubtful a street price would be below these deal prices, so there is no point for us to offer one :-)

We have been experiencing some problems with mail to hotmail addresses being classified as junk (especially e-mails that have lots of dollar signs $ in them, for some reason?!), so please do check your junk folders.

I checked junk mail and didn't see it, but probably got filtered somehow. If you said you responded, I am sure you did. Anyway, thanks for the info, hopefully I will catch one of those sales. Any chance canon 24mm f/2.8 is usm may be included in the future?
I am keeping an eye on the refurbished sales as well. Regards, Ramin.

P.s., I can vouch for the great group orders you organized in the past. I got a great deal on a new 70-200 f/4 IS that have never seen matched anywhere. Thanks to your website and your effort.

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 15, 2014 21:37 |  #29

I've ordered from GreenToe and got nothing but great service from Andrew, and CPW has notified me of some excellent deals that I would've otherwise missed. Love them both!

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 19, 2014 14:41 |  #30

Nice deal going for the Canon 7d mark II right now - 200 off - check it out.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

sponsored links

7,953 views & 1 like for this thread
So CPW Street Price works the same way as Greentoe, right?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.