Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 13 Nov 2014 (Thursday) 04:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hiking the Grand Canyon - Compact Camera Choice?

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 13, 2014 04:38 |  #1

I plan on hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim next spring. Weight and bulk are a big concern to I am most likely not going to bring my SLR. On the other hand my trusty Powershot A590IS seem a poor choice for the opportunities that I will see. Do you have any recommendations for a compact and inexpensive camera? I am cheap so anything over $300 is out.

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,999 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 13, 2014 04:49 |  #2

Perhaps an EOS-M?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 15, 2014 11:29 |  #3

Hoosier Writer wrote in post #17269107 (external link)
I plan on hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim next spring. Weight and bulk are a big concern to I am most likely not going to bring my SLR. On the other hand my trusty Powershot A590IS seem a poor choice for the opportunities that I will see. Do you have any recommendations for a compact and inexpensive camera? I am cheap so anything over $300 is out.

I had a G 10 that took some nice pictures.
You can pick these up used fairly cheap , I had a camera holder for mine that went on your belt.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1110.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_0015_zps64​c69502.jpg (external link)

Good luck , and be safe
Farmer

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 15, 2014 11:39 |  #4

Thanks for the suggestions.

OhioHick
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 16, 2014 15:07 |  #5

I've been using the superzoom models over the past several year (SX10, SX30 and currently SX50 HS). These are wonderful for outdoors/landscapes. My back-up is a SX280 HS which is also outstanding for landscapes.

Glass half full...

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 16, 2014 15:10 |  #6

EOS-M, as small as the compacts but with DSLR quality. Get it with the 22mm kit lens, it's worth the $300 alone just for that gem.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Chinookphoto
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Nov 18, 2014 18:59 |  #7

If you want a compact, I would choose either the Canon G7 X or the Fuji x30

JD

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 18, 2014 20:09 |  #8

farmer1957 wrote in post #17273440 (external link)
I had a G 10 that took some nice pictures.
You can pick these up used fairly cheap , I had a camera holder for mine that went on your belt.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s1110.photobuck​et.com …0015_zps64c6950​2.jpg.html  (external link)

Good luck , and be safe
Farmer

The G10 is a good choice.

Best, Bruce

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 22, 2014 07:49 |  #9

I will suggest the Sony RX100 first generation. I just got one from Best Buy for $249 and this thing is small and takes amazing pics. I was a big fan of the Lumix LX line and I own the LX3 and a new LX7. Both have given me some great shots, but the LX line is a bit bulkier and the Sony will actually fit into my front pocket.

Just my two pennies worth. I really like my RX now that I've added a little rubberized grip to it as well. No extra bulk, but it feels secure in my hand.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

LBinAZ
69 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 02, 2014 15:03 |  #10

My sons & I have spent a lot of time inside Grand Canyon, most recently doing canyoneering trips in the marble canyon area of GCNP. These are multi-day backcountry trips where we weigh & vet almost every piece of gear that goes into our packs. I bought a G11 just for situations like this. My oldest son carries a Panasonic Lumix TS2 tough camera that I bought him one Christmas. He loves the ruggedness and waterproof features of the Lumix. I like I can still shoot RAW with the G11. My youngest son probably has it all figured out - he borrows MY camera I've lugged in when he see something he wants a picture of............ :-D A friend just got the SX510HS (I think that's it) and likes the superzoom on it.

If you want to see what either of these cameras can do go to his website http://www.cbunch.com/​category/adventures/ (external link) to see the Lumix pics
or my website http://larrybunch.zenf​olio.com/canyoneering_​adventures (external link) to see the G11 pics. We also have each other's pics crossed-linked in our sites.

Be safe, stay hydrated & carry some salty snacks, make sure you're shape, get an early start. We also spent a few summers as volunteers with the park service on the trails TRYING to help people from getting themselves into trouble on the trails. But enjoy the hike. Too many people just blow thru that trip without slowing down to appreciate the amazing place surrounding them.

Larry

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 22, 2015 15:46 |  #11

I backpacked the Grand Canyon quite a few years ago. You'll see some amazing views that most people just don't see from the rim. I took my 450D with a 50mm f1.8, and that was a light enough setup to work pretty well. I went to a camera shop and bought the absolute smallest waist pack that would fit that combo. Surprisingly, it doesn't take much space.

These days, I would definitely recommend something like the EOS M. The EOS M with 22mm prime is a great piece of kit that fits in a very small package. It's slow to focus, but that doesn't matter when you are taking landscapes. Image quality and the magnesium build quality are top-notch. The smallest case I was able to find to fit the M with 22mm is a Lowepro Dashpoint 20. It's just big enough to fit the camera with lens mounted, and a spare battery/SD card (I wrap mine in a eyeglass microfiber slip case) in the bottom.

The SL1 is another option if you are looking for a small DSLR, but make sure you pair it with a light lens, maybe the 40mm pancake. This would be slightly more expensive though.

LBinAZ wrote in post #17305742 (external link)
Be safe, stay hydrated & carry some salty snacks, make sure you're shape, get an early start.

Good advice. I was hiking down the Kaibab trail with a group. Each of us had 3L of water, but some people in our group ran out. We came across quite a few people laying down on the side of that trail from heat exhaustion. Electrolytes in the water (or continuous salty snacking) is the key. Start each day before sunrise…

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

sponsored links

3,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hiking the Grand Canyon - Compact Camera Choice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.