Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The worst 3 minutes of your life in reading this....

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 15, 2014 12:05 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

http://www.theguardian​.com …e_btn_fb#commen​t-43689967 (external link)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,853 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 15, 2014 12:39 |  #2

Yeah this argument was settled almost century ago yet there are those that are still fighting a war that has been over since the birth of straight photography. The problem is there are so many photographs that have such little real content today because there are millions of photographers creating images that don't go beyond the obvious. As a viewer, you look, you see, no reason to stay and look. Immediate gratification. The work of many of the great photographers demands more than a quick glance. A great quote by Ralph Gibson on the subject.

"A good photograph, like a good painting, speaks with a loud voice and demands time and attention if it is to be fully perceived. An art lover is perfectly willing to hang a painting on a wall for years on end, but ask him to study a single photograph for ten unbroken minutes and he’ll think it’s a waste of time. Staying power is difficult to build into a photograph. Mostly, it takes content. A good photograph can penetrate the subconscious – but only if it is allowed to speak for however much time it needs to get there." - Ralph Gibson

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 15, 2014 12:42 |  #3

This dude probably just murdered his career with that article.

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,853 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 15, 2014 12:49 |  #4

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17273554 (external link)

There are a lot of people that think like that and have no idea of history. The really sad part is there are some photographers that post here that believe that. I know because I have been n some of those threads.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 15, 2014 12:52 |  #5

I've had the luck nd opportunity to do 4 gallery shows thus far. They've been successful and well attended, with a nice deal of sales or framed prints. My little shows are silly compared to some of the genius work that's out there. I have no idea what this guy is talking about. Some shows of paintings are equally flat and lifeless. Like anything elses it depends on the work, no?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 15, 2014 12:58 |  #6

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17273567 (external link)
There are a lot of people that think like that and have no idea of history. The really sad part is there are some photographers that post here that believe that. I know because I have been n some of those threads.

I know, and I find it truly sad that people can be so close minded, even more sad when they're so outspoken about it...

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,853 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 15, 2014 13:04 |  #7

Yeah I know. Really sad...

Shameless plug...
For all those interested I have a show next March here in Chicago at the Rangefinder Gallery
Here's some more info: scroll down to March 6th
http://www.tamarkin.co​m/leicagallery/upcomin​g-shows (external link)

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 15, 2014 20:54 |  #8

We attended a Norman Rockwell show on Cape Cod a couple years ago. He always worked from photographs and combined portions of different images to create his paintings.

Quite an interesting exhibition ... and even more interesting to see how he "extracted" individual parts of each image to create the final paintings.

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 15, 2014 21:36 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #9

Funnily enough I went to the national portrait museum in London last year to look at the paintings and they all bored me ****less. I couldn't look at any of them for more than a couple of mins. Guess I like photos and this guy likes paintings. Except I didn't then go and write an article about how easy it is to slop some paint around and how paintings should be limited to ipads....

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 15, 2014 21:41 |  #10

RMH wrote in post #17274314 (external link)
Funnily enough I went to the national portrait museum in London last year to look at the paintings and they all bored me ****less. I couldn't look at any of them for more than a couple of mins. Guess I like photos and this guy likes paintings. Except I didn't then go and write an article about how easy it is to slop some paint around and how paintings should be limited to ipads....

I actually feel the same way most of the time. There are definitely paintings that catch my attention and awe, but I feel as though it happens far more often with photographs, which is why I love this forum. So many excellent photographers on this forum post their work all the time, it's like having free art galleries right here in my living room :cool:

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,972 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 15, 2014 21:44 |  #11

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17273554 (external link)

One can only hope.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 x2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 16-80 - 35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

JLRplsFL
20 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 15, 2014 22:38 |  #12

Jonathan Jones... just a sad, sad little man.

James/Louis
5D Mark lll w/BG-E11
24-105mm f/4L, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
600EX-RT w/Harbor Digital XT Extender

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 15, 2014 22:49 |  #13

Don't read his article on the poppies at the Tower of London....you'll end wanting to hunt this fool down and ask your taxi driver to run him over.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 16, 2014 07:26 |  #14

monkey44 wrote in post #17274252 (external link)
We attended a Norman Rockwell show on Cape Cod a couple years ago. He always worked from photographs and combined portions of different images to create his paintings.

Quite an interesting exhibition ... and even more interesting to see how he "extracted" individual parts of each image to create the final paintings.

Norman Rockwell also used various optical projectors to make his paintings like photographs

airfrogusmc
36,853 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 16, 2014 07:40 |  #15

Perspective and foreshortening have always been a problem for painters. Many used a camera obscura to help them deal with that problem and they were doing it a long, lone time before Rockwell was born.
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Camera_obscura (external link)

sponsored links

8,813 views & 2 likes for this thread
The worst 3 minutes of your life in reading this....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.