Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Nov 2014 (Monday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on used 1D mark III

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,365 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 14, 2014 15:20 |  #31

05Xrunner wrote in post #17271914 (external link)
how is it not to good ISO performance. I never thought twice shooting ISO 3200 on that camera as it was very clean and even 6400 looked good.

I agree. The noise on the 1d files is very uniform that if you have to use noise reduction the files stay very crisp with a good amount of detail.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,029 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 14, 2014 15:52 |  #32

johnf3f wrote in post #17260084 (external link)
According to Rob Galbraith the fastest cards in a 1D3 were the Sandisk Extreme 3 8GB SD cards. A friend of mine bought a couple for his 1D3 and they were certainly faster than the Sandisk Extreme 4 8GB CF cards.
The 1D3 seems to be the only DSLR that is actually quicker with SD cards!

THE RG Card database was dismantled some time ago, with none of the archives available, and none of the latest bodes added either. It seems to be now just a brief snapshot around 2012.

Any reference to the 1D3 is gone as far as I can tell, but even if someone has the info, the last time it was tested was some time ago.

I wonder if the SD card performance advantage on the 1D3 is real? OR just where the tech was at that point in time? Frankly I don't think I ever noticed it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 15, 2014 04:29 |  #33

dog rocket wrote in post #17262754 (external link)
Oops, didn't mean to make you feel bad... was not really expecting that you went to a 1D4 although I guess that is the logical progression. Yes, the 1D3 does have its limitations... it is an old camera now.

SNIP

Enjoy your 1D4 and do report back on it. I often wonder whether I didn't give mine enough of a chance before jumping ship and still look at used ones for sale now and then...

Well, I have the 1D4 now, and the 1D3 is at it's new home.
I took exactly one image with the 1D4 to make sure it was OK; I can tell you the LCD is ORDERS of magnitude better! The image was at ISO 1600, natural light inside, with a 24-105, and it is just as clean as I would expect the 1D3's to be; I've just looked at the RAW, but the colour and contrast seem very similar to it's predecessor (I shoot in Faithful picture style and am comparing how it looks in that guise).

I'll comment some more when I get the chance.

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 15, 2014 13:13 |  #34

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17272250 (external link)
THE RG Card database was dismantled some time ago, with none of the archives available, and none of the latest bodes added either. It seems to be now just a brief snapshot around 2012.

Any reference to the 1D3 is gone as far as I can tell, but even if someone has the info, the last time it was tested was some time ago.

I wonder if the SD card performance advantage on the 1D3 is real? OR just where the tech was at that point in time? Frankly I don't think I ever noticed it.

Yes the site "Stopped" in 2012 and the older models were deleted - pity.
Not comprehensive but we tried the following CF cards:
Sandisk Extreme 4 (4GB), Transcend 300X 8GB, Transcend 400x 16GB, Duracell 600x (GB?) and Kingston 266x 4GB. In all cases the Sandisk Exteme 3 8GB SD cards were faster.
I believe that the 1D3 does not support UDMA so this may be the cause of this.
The reason I mentioned this is that the OP can use cards that are really cheap now and still get the best out of his camera.
Again it is a shame that Rob's site has not been updated as it was a very useful source of information.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 16, 2014 03:19 |  #35

Compared to 6D it sucks at hing ISO. Simply because 6D is better (dont need to do NR with ISO 3200 with 6D at all). I am not saying that 1D3 wouldnt be useless, but it has its limitations because its old camera. However 1D3 has better AF, fps, battery life weather-sealing and build quality than 6D.

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 17, 2014 09:01 |  #36

That's why I have both. :D

Randy...

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 17, 2014 10:21 |  #37

Your comparing a body about 6years older then a full frame camera that has much newer tech. The 1D3 still holds its own in higher iso. I would take its ability over any aps-c body except 7D2

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 17, 2014 16:36 |  #38

It's almost as if high ISO performance isn't the only measure of a camera.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 18, 2014 02:19 |  #39

dog rocket wrote in post #17276949 (external link)
That's why I have both. :D

Me too. ;)

Yeah I am comparing 6 year old camera. And its no match in terms of ISO performance to 6D. I didnt mean to upset anyone. However 1D3 has its limitations.

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 21, 2014 14:47 |  #40

For me they are a perfect compliment to each other without having too much money wrapped into 2 bodies. I shoot sports sparingly, and the ID3 still fills that role with aplomb. The sports I shoot include my daughters' sports which are both daytime, outdoor sports. High ISO need not apply. Also, one thing that isn't spoken about much these days with massive resolution being the end all: these great big pixels on the 1D3 make some of the smoothest images I've seen with any of my cameras and I personally love the look for portraiture, etc <gasp! a sports camera for portraiture? That dude is nuts>

Meanwhile, the 6D fills in ALL the other gaps: high ISO, small and light body, resolution, etc. A GREAT camera if you like to dink with alternative lenses.

These two cameras together are worth less than one 5D3 and to me they both reach further in both directions (light and fast) than a single camera can. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Randy...

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,495 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 21, 2014 15:11 |  #41

Mike Deep wrote in post #17277916 (external link)
It's almost as if high ISO performance isn't the only measure of a camera.

In photography alot of it has to do with timing of what you document. Also obtaining a "locK" in AF to capture the moment without blurr or soft images.

However if your talking about noise control/high ISO you must take into account that many new camera's now will produce much better detailed files than the 1dmk3 at high iso.

When i owned a 1dmk3 and had to make a choice between 5dmk2 and 5dc. I would choose the more modern for obvious reasons.... but also grab the 5dc for portaits vs using the 1dmk3. 5dc produces an organic look compared to the 5dmk2.

When people print it will hide noise much better than when you view the photo on your monitor. The critical eyes these days want eye candy on the monitors as a benchmark for analyzing image quality since there is less and less printing in this modern age.

I was not overly impressed with my 1dmk3 when it came to high iso performance in challenging light. However it seemed to clean up noise much better than the 7d when using light room.

High iso has alot of weight because if your RAW file falls apart this means your images will not be as clean and detailed due to loss of information in the noise. Even the latest micro 4/3 camera's for still photography have cleaner/equiv files at high iso than a 1dmk3.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

wakarimasen
81 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by wakarimasen. (2 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2014 02:26 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #42

Shooting my sons' school rugby games in the last month has necessitated the use of 'HI' ISO settings - i.e. ISO 6400 - to maintain an adequate shutter speed for freezing action. If you pixel peep, then it does look bad. However for web or tablet-based viewing, it's surprisingly good. I should say that this is jpeg straight from the camera. I'm sure a little post processing would improve matters even more.

tap tap tap...

sponsored links

7,923 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on used 1D mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.