Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 02:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #510 - unusual shapes

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 11, 2014 02:58 |  #1

Challenge #510 - unusual shapes

Submissions

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/510_thumbnails_chronological.jpg

From the display above, you can see that this week I have had a specially hard time choosing only 3 photos due to the exceptional quality of the entries.
Congratulations to all and thanks for this awesome collection of unusual shapes.

Comments in the order of appearance:

• Trumper – G1X mkII – functional,flexible,fa​scinating
    Are we in the super macro guessing game? :) Well, I guess it is a snake. If it is not, it doesn't matter, it is a good shape to start the challenge. Given the somewhat flat lighting, the shallow depth of field helps to see the volume of the.. 'thing'. A high standard for the rest of the challenge has been set. Thank you for posting.
    -
  • tdodd – G7 X – Orange gone pear shaped
    Nature helped on it! Certainly you found a non traditional orange shape. I was puzzled by the large depth of field until I read your exif. Well, 10 secs and f11, that was the reason. Reach color, nice contrast. Thanks for the first photo with the G7 X in these challenges.
    -
  • Sibil – G11 – beehive looking rock
    Interesting palette of pastel-like colors. I like the framing of the main subject too: A large stone at left, the stone wall in the background and the bed of leaves. With a bit of imagination, I can hear a few large bees approaching...
    -
  • fastest – G1X - Moderno Oviedo
    You got to tell us what is that structure, a restaurant? Anyhow it is nice and the picture from an unusual angle helps too. light blue for the sky and windows, white walls and soft shadows. a beautiful combination.
    -
  • teekay – G1 – Blackbird
    A beautiful airplane with unique characteristics. For this unusual shapes group of pictures, I think the cobra shaped nose is the most important feature of the plane. A technically difficult photo. Being the bird all black, it is interesting how you captured the reflections created by the back window instead of a black silhouette against the shiny background.
    -
  • Spoco57? Brass Globe
    A Sphere-within-a-Sphere sculpture by Mr. Pomodoro. I knew about them from a picture of my son in the Vatican Gardens. Certainly unique and beautiful.
    You found the best angle to show both the reflections and the cracks on the spheres. Can you tell us where is it?
    Good work to keep all the elements with correct exposure. (You forgot to put the camera model in your post)
    -
  • marie – Pro1 - Happy House and Garden Magic
    A typical little house, a nice typical garden, both framing those 'things'. What are they? With no doubt, they qualify as unusual, and are beautiful too, and make a perfect match with the house and the garden.
    You always find how to get our attention to people, landscapes, 'things' like those in your photo. Can you tell as something more about them?
    -
  • Raven – G16 – The answer to that age old question.....
    More uncommon objects. You have the lower half of an egg and two legs without the chick :) That do not answer the question, but your subject is enhanced by the dark tree and the tree itself is heightened due to the almost luminous and blurred background. A nice photo to close the collection.
    -

A subjective weighting of the uncommon shapes and the photographic technical elements of the pictures allowed me, after a long meditation, choose the three top places.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/510_thumbnails_winners.jpg

tdodd, you are the host and judge for challenge #511. Congratulations and good luck!

Regards

rafael

unusual shapes topic description:

We always analyze shapes to see how they fit on our pictures. Well, this week I will ask for unusual shapes that have called your attention and were captured creating an interesting photo. Good composition, exposure, focus, white balance that enhance the qualities found on that odd or unusual object are, of course appreciated.

If you are new or need a reminder of the challenge rules, they are listed below in this post.
Remember: If you win, be prepared to host the next challenge and judge it. Good luck.

Note: The newest addition to the G family, the PowerShot G7 X has been added to the list of allowed cameras.
Welcome G7 X owners, read the rules below and the description of this week's topic above before posting your entries.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 17th November 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Trumper
960 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 12, 2014 15:16 |  #2

functional,flexible,fa​scinating

G1X MK11

https://photography-on-the.net …699400&stc=1&d=​1415826981

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 13, 2014 14:52 |  #3

Orange gone pear shaped

G7 X - Manual exposure for 10" at f/11 and 125 ISO.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,526 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Sibil.

Nov 14, 2014 16:22 as a reply to  @ tdodd's post |  #4

beehive looking rock

G11

fastest
26 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 15, 2014 00:34 |  #5

Moderno Oviedo

G1x

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7480/15791785702_dd8610b7eb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/q4t2​Hh  (external link) . (external link) by louiswebb1 (external link), on Flickr

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 5 years ago by teekay.

Nov 15, 2014 10:30 as a reply to  @ fastest's post |  #6

Blackbird

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

G1

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 15, 2014 16:02 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #7

Brass Globe

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5604/15611763388_8848262e0d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pMyn​mh  (external link) IMG_2654 (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 16, 2014 17:59 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #8

Happy House and Garden Magic

Pro1
1/60
f2.8

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/158260558/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 16, 2014 23:44 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #9

The answer to that age old question.....

G16

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v171/p1001992551-6.jpg

~ Jim

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 17, 2014 05:59 |  #10

Challenge #510 - unusual shapes is now CLOSED for judging.
Winners will be announced as soon as possible.

If you have not seen the Announcement above the stickies
on every section of POTN forums, please click the link below.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potn/captures/announcementAMASS.gif
IMAGE LINK: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/announce​ment.php?f=17

-

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 18, 2014 02:40 |  #11

Winners announced in the first post.
Apologies for the delay. I started Monday early in the morning but the day was long and busy.

Comments are welcome!

rafael

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 18, 2014 03:53 |  #12

Wow! I'm surprised at first place on my first outing, as I thought all the entries were very good and it was nice to see so many. Thanks to everyone for entering and making it a worthwhile challenge. I'll now go and set up the next challenge.

Regarding my own photo, it was taken in my living room, using the light from a single floor lamp about 6' away and the fruit on the coffee table. I used the black gel case of my phone as the base under the orange and the lid of my Dell XPS 11 as the background. I hand held a piece of white kitchen towel as a reflector to fill in the shadow side. The camera was on a mini tripod and I used the self timer to release the shutter. Exposure was determined using the histogram on the live display. The only editing was to crop the shot and to darken the background. I ate the fruit. :-)

Here's the shot SOOC....

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pu0kJislMc4/VGsdnzu-3XI/AAAAAAAChgg/RXoK2tJg9Zk/s800/IMG_0607.JPG

The next challenge is open - https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=17278878#po​st17278878

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 18, 2014 08:44 |  #13

Big congrats to tdodd, marie and sibil! Beautiful shots, all. The color of the orange was tremendous.

Great challenge, rpolitsr! And a tough job of judging, too. Thank you.

The camera was a G1X. Somehow I must have deleted it without realizing.

The place was Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. The statue was mounted on it's central vertical axis, and even though it weighed thousands of pounds, it spun with just the slightest push. I found it fascinating, and it's one of the few times I've used the G1X video capability.

Thanks
Steve

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,526 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2014 10:41 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #14

Congrats to the winners. This certainly was an interesting challenge.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Nov 18, 2014 10:44 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #15

Congratulations to Tdodd, Marie and Sibil! Good topic, Rafael, and as usual I'm glad I wasn't judging the wide range of entries.;)

Thanks for the explanation of your striking orange shot, Tdodd, as we often don't realize what care the photographer has taken to get a winning shot for these challenges.

sponsored links

6,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #510 - unusual shapes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.