Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Nov 2014 (Monday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

batch renaming images

androostain
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 17, 2014 17:00 |  #1

Can anyone help? Me and a friend are photographing a lot of events together and supply our images as a complete set merged together... the only thing is we want the images to all run together in time order so that it is a correct timeline of the event.Does anyone know of a way to batch rename images so that they named sequentially in time order?

West Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link) | Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link)| Wedding Videographer West Midlands (external link) | Wedding Videographer Midlands (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Design (external link)
Canon 5d MkIII | Canon 7d | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 | Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

sponsored links
TB ­ Stewart
84 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 17, 2014 17:13 |  #2

I use "Bulk Rename Utility"
link to their site http://www.bulkrenameu​tility.co.uk (external link)
Note: this is for Windows!

You can sort them by date, name, file size, etc.
Then you can rename them all to what ever you like

Hope it helps

androostain
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 17, 2014 17:16 |  #3

cheers man, unfortunately I'm a Mac hipster ;)

West Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link) | Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link)| Wedding Videographer West Midlands (external link) | Wedding Videographer Midlands (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Design (external link)
Canon 5d MkIII | Canon 7d | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 | Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,424 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2014 17:21 as a reply to  @ androostain's post |  #4

Do you know how to run an app in Wine? If so, Faststone Resizer (external link) (which also renames) works well in a Wine wrapper. I use it on my MBP running Yosemite.

(If you don't know how to set up Wine, you should learn. It's not hard and comes in very handy for things like this. http://wineskin.urgeso​ftware.com/tiki-index.php (external link))

Mark J.
Gear

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 17, 2014 17:22 |  #5

If you have Lightroom you can sort by capture time (providing your clocks were synced) and then do an export with sequential filename.

I assume Bridge would have something similar as well.

Joel

androostain
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 17, 2014 17:26 |  #6

if i add his exported jpegs to my lightroom then export them again in the sequence order will his images be double compressed as i will be basically creating jpegs from jpegs? Ive tried to do it in mac automator but it only works on 'creation' time but not 'capture' time

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2014 21:16 |  #7

Is your friend using LR too? If he is and he is doing any work on the images in LR before sending you the JPEGs then the answer is simple. Have him send you the originals, along with an exported catalogue file. Import the catalogue into your library, combine the images, sort and do the export. No additional JPEG compression required. As long as he is running LR it won't even matter if he is on Windows.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 17, 2014 23:11 |  #8

You can use the very powerful, built-in OS X tool called 'Automator' to batch rename files (example tutorial: *click (external link)*).

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 18, 2014 02:21 |  #9

androostain wrote in post #17277959 (external link)
Can anyone help? Me and a friend are photographing a lot of events together and supply our images as a complete set merged together... the only thing is we want the images to all run together in time order so that it is a correct timeline of the event.Does anyone know of a way to batch rename images so that they named sequentially in time order?

1. Make sure your cameras have the correct date, time, and photographer name set. Everything else you do will be a miserable wreck if they're not in sync.

2. Devise a file naming scheme. I'd suggest:

year_month_date_hour_m​inute_second_photograp​her_camera_imagenumber

Which in practice would look like:

2014_11_18_12_45_01_An​droo Stain_EOS 7D_2767

If this seems excessive, bear with me. This scheme deals with a number of problems. In file browsers, galleries, etc., the images will sort by time taken even if the EXIF is stripped. Having the shooting time, image number and camera identifier ensures file name collisions are next to impossible. And finally, the photographer's name is in there if you need it.

I like to use underscores as delimiters, but you could use dashes, spaces, or nothing at all.

3. Use the tools provided by Canon. EOS Utility can be used to automatically rename and move image files as they appear in a given location. Use the Monitor Folder function in conjunction with a drop location or a card reader drive itself (With the latter option, bear in mind EOS Utility will erase the image from its original location, so it would be erasing cards as it goes). The file naming can be set up in EOS Utility's preferences. You can only make up to three custom file naming profiles, but among the options are camera model and owner name, so one profile will be sufficient for your needs. The above scheme in EOS Utility would be as follows (And should work the same on Mac):
    http://i242.photobucke​t.com …s_utility_zps53​0799bc.gif (external link)

4. Optionally, you can clean up file names after the fact with any given batch rename tool. EOS Utility likes to use spaces in the camera models and owner names, which is inconsistent.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

kamuishirou1999
43 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 18, 2014 02:29 |  #10

http://mrrsoftware.com​/namechanger/ (external link)

I use this. It's for Mac. But the above suggestions are good too.

"Roar," said the lion.

androostain
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 18, 2014 07:53 |  #11

Cheers guys, i will look into all these suggestions

androostain
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 18, 2014 08:00 |  #12

oh my word......just used http://mrrsoftware.com​/namechanger/ (external link)

its perfect! and free.

Cheers kamuishirou1999

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 18, 2014 08:01 |  #13

Once I've downloaded all the raw files into a single folder I open them up in Adobe Bridge and arrange by date. (takes a while for Bridge to read them make sure the progress arrow in bottom left corner stops turning before proceeding) I then select all and batch rename them in numerical sequence.

All this is quite fast and saves lots of headaches

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

sponsored links

2,032 views & 0 likes for this thread
batch renaming images
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.