Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Nov 2014 (Monday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D2, 1Dx, 5D3 Owners- How to make AF system work better for you

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,619 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2014 09:47 |  #1

Please start posting findings and helpful videos for settings that worked well for you for this new body. And 1Dx owners, It would be helpful if you contributed as well because these systems are supposed to be identical in terms of use and setting up.

Would like this thread to offer fixes as to whats working v/s whats wrong or perceived wrong with the newer AF systems being introduced since original 7D introduction. Will probably be a lot easier to go through.

setting up videos would be extremely helpful for everyone so if you see them, post them to thread.

Mods- maybe a sticky so we can slow down the countless problems with my camera AF systems posts......Just a thought

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,619 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2014 10:12 |  #2

http://www.techradar.c​om …7d-mark-ii-1264977/review (external link)

Example- now we wont have to go through countless threads to find stuff like this. Its right here

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,619 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2014 10:17 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #3

Review and how to use features towards the end

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=7THzK2fr4hU (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,302 posts
Gallery: 949 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 17, 2014 10:20 |  #4

Subscribed. I will use this as my primary body next year for wildlife and sports photography I attended a 2 hour intro class of this body and I am really really impressed. So I would like to know which AF works best with 7d2.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 17, 2014 11:20 |  #5

7D11? Wow we've really jumped ahead a few generations. ;-)a

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 17, 2014 11:25 |  #6

Uuuummm...

This is already a sticky:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=857871

Doesn't it do the job?

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 17, 2014 12:32 |  #7

Keith R wrote in post #17277259 (external link)
Uuuummm...

Doesn't it do the job?

isnt' that one for focus problems,

Does it go into the different modes of the cameras and how to set up it best for different situations?

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,302 posts
Gallery: 949 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 17, 2014 12:41 |  #8

Keith R wrote in post #17277259 (external link)
Uuuummm...

Doesn't it do the job?

This is a very good resource, this should be refer to the other forum having focus issues. Nice find I did not this one exist.

I went ahead and posted it in AF issues.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,862 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 17, 2014 13:46 |  #9

Gaarryy wrote in post #17277401 (external link)
isnt' that one for focus problems,

Does it go into the different modes of the cameras and how to set up it best for different situations?

Which is what part of this thread seems to be for....?

umphotography wrote in post #17277064 (external link)
Would like this thread to offer fixes as to whats working v/s whats wrong or perceived wrong with the newer AF systems being introduced since original 7D introduction. Will probably be a lot easier to go through.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 7D Mark II
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,619 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2014 14:06 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #10

This guy is using fastone to open images and converting to Tiff v/s DPP

anyone doing this ??

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/13300​65 (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,862 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 17, 2014 14:37 |  #11

Might want to read this, it seems that the 2 products that pull the JPG out of the raw are either compressing the resulting JPG heavily, or the JPG in the raw is already very compressed. I wouldn't use this method for anything I wanted to keep or submit.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=17277629&po​stcount=20

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 7D Mark II
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 17, 2014 14:50 |  #12

For AF config, I changed the rear controls so the * lets me switch to new shooting settings, AF-ON turns the AF-OFF (I like confusion!), the multicontroller is direct AF point selection, the lever is direct area selection, the lock switch locks the multicontroller to lock the AF point, and on the front the DOF preview button now toggles AI servo/One Shot. And I also set up an orientation point/area to 1+8 exp in the upper zone (grip up) so I won't leave dead space above heads when in portrait.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,516 posts
Gallery: 385 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 17, 2014 15:19 |  #13

Subscribed.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 17, 2014 19:29 |  #14

I put together a short primer because there are new features that are linked together that new users should know about and there is a lot of information to absorb. I’m not suggesting what anyone should use these settings. You should explore these further.

iTR – Intelligent Tracking and Recognition

It is new to the 7D2 and does affect AF area selection modes. See next section. The 1Dx has this feature as well. The 5D3 dos not have it.

ITR executes AF by recognizing faces and colors. This can be located on the AF4 (purple menus) screen and cab be enabled or disabled.

In AI Servo mode, the camera remembers the color at the position it is focused on first, then continues to track and focus the subject switching AF points to track that color.

In one-shot AF mode iTR basically looks for faces.

The manual states that when activated it will take longer to acquire focus. I’m not sure if a person could even tell as AF happens in milliseconds. It also states that if a face is too small in the frame it may have trouble finding it.

AF Area Selection Modes

1. First there the standard single point and spot focus point modes.

2. Followed by two expansion point modes to choose from.

- the first one enables 5 AF points

- the second one enables 9 AF points

NOTE: All above AF points are active at all times. They do not switch on and off while tracking.

3. The 3 zones.

- zone – enables 15 AF points.

- large zone – enables the entire centre or 2 outside clusters

- All 65 points

NOTE: All above AF points are not active at all times in the zone grouping and 65 point. They will switch on and off while tracking.

If iTR is enabled (on the AF4 menu screen) it will activate in "all 3" zones. So you may want to keep this in mind because if you go from expansion to zone, it not only activates iTR but the AF tracking characteristics change as well.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 17, 2014 19:38 |  #15

I was looking at this as well. I have not found any additional info on this but I'm curious about 2nd image priority and this is my interpretation (based on the manual) of how it works. Any input is welcome or Canon links to this would be great.

AI Servo 1st and 2nd image priority (located on the AF2 menu screen).

The factory default for both is set to Equal. It seems like many users set it both to Focus.

The 1st image priority choices are Equal, Focus and Release. If you want the first shot to be in focus (like most of us do) setting 1st image priority to focus seems to be the most logical choice.

The 2cnd image priority choices are Equal, Focus and Speed.

2nd release priority kicks in after the first shot has been taken. I find this one interesting. Once you lock on AI Servo is doing its job by tracking. If you are good at keeping that point on a bird or other moving objects then you don’ t have to waste system resources to continually re-check focus. If you set it to Speed then it will just continues to fire on focus lock you achieved in 1st image priority. If you select 10 FPS the system may not achieve it in Focus priority. Equal might be a good balance but the manual warns about shooting speeds slowing down using this setting.

I have yet to experiment with 2nd release priority. Starting out leaving both on equal may be best until you get to know your camera. I set both on my 5D3 to focus from day one but never tracked fast moving things like birds, mostly people walking.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

18,920 views & 8 likes for this thread
7D2, 1Dx, 5D3 Owners- How to make AF system work better for you
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.