Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 18 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Image size for web site

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 18, 2014 10:52 |  #1

The tech guy who's helping me build a website want to know what size images I should send him so he can create a thumbnail that will enlarge to page size on the site when someone clicks on it.

Can anyone give me the specs for the right size image? Size or length / width ... I'm not very "tech smart" so want to give him the best size to see a good image when it's open, but not so large it takes forever opening it.

I know there is a fine line there, and I have no idea what that is ... thanks BD

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 18, 2014 11:23 |  #2

There is no standard size. Some people like small ones, some like large ones. How many thumbnails do you want seen at one time? 150 x 150, 200 x 200, etc? Its all personal tastes and practicality.

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 18, 2014 11:38 |  #3

kjonnnn wrote in post #17279492 (external link)
There is no standard size. Some people like small ones, some like large ones. How many thumbnails do you want seen at one time? 150 x 150, 200 x 200, etc? Its all personal tastes and practicality.

IT's not the thumbnails, it's the "open images" what size do I send him so when a visitor clicks on the TN, the image fills the page with a photo? I know, some guys put huge photos in there, and it takes FOREVER to open one, so usually people go away instead of waiting ...

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 18, 2014 12:46 |  #4

monkey44 wrote in post #17279512 (external link)
IT's not the thumbnails, it's the "open images" what size do I send him so when a visitor clicks on the TN, the image fills the page with a photo? I know, some guys put huge photos in there, and it takes FOREVER to open one, so usually people go away instead of waiting ...

Most sites I have seen open a medium sized image (1024 ish?) with a further option to view larger underneath. Or they use some kind of scaling query to see what resolution the browser is currently displaying and chooses a medium sized resolution based on that.

Again - usually with options underneath that picture to allow you to see it in a larger/higher resolution if you prefer (or if the photographer even wants to allow access to the higher res)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 18, 2014 12:52 |  #5

werds wrote in post #17279640 (external link)
Most sites I have seen open a medium sized image (1024 ish?) with a further option to view larger underneath. Or they use some kind of scaling query to see what resolution the browser is currently displaying and chooses a medium sized resolution based on that.

Again - usually with options underneath that picture to allow you to see it in a larger/higher resolution if you prefer (or if the photographer even wants to allow access to the higher res)

I'm not displaying "full size / max resolution", but only a nice viewable image. We are protecting the pages from copy too, so most honest browsers will not steal it ... the "thief folks" are gonna get it no matter what we do ... but we do the best we can.

Protecting our property is always a hassle too -- I've found numerous copies of my sports and some wildlife images used with out permission ... it's a struggle for all of us. Too many people out there think "web is public" -- so we have to cure that ignorance as well. Thanks for the help here -- will try the 1024 and see what that gives me.

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 18, 2014 13:07 |  #6

monkey44 wrote in post #17279649 (external link)
I'm not displaying "full size / max resolution", but only a nice viewable image. We are protecting the pages from copy too, so most honest browsers will not steal it ... the "thief folks" are gonna get it no matter what we do ... but we do the best we can.

Protecting our property is always a hassle too -- I've found numerous copies of my sports and some wildlife images used with out permission ... it's a struggle for all of us. Too many people out there think "web is public" -- so we have to cure that ignorance as well. Thanks for the help here -- will try the 1024 and see what that gives me.

Yep. In case it helps make a decision btw http://www.w3schools.c​om/browsers/browsers_d​isplay.asp (external link)

1024 IMO is a nice sweet spot as it is not too big for jpeg but still shows large enough on the majority of screens.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,349 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 18, 2014 13:23 |  #7

I use 800px on the long end.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

1000arms
862 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 18, 2014 13:35 |  #8

monkey44 wrote in post #17279649 (external link)

I suggest people look at http://www.photoattorn​ey.com …otect-your-online-images/ (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 18, 2014 15:39 |  #9

monkey44 wrote in post #17279512 (external link)

ohhhh ok

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,915 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 19, 2014 08:17 |  #10

I think 1024 on the long edge is a reasonably nice size. It will still just fit on a 1080 display vertically and is a little wider than 50% horizontally. Although it is quite useable digitally at least its not going to make a huge print.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,043 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 19, 2014 08:22 |  #11

Do you plan on showing them at low res also? That might take a few more pirates out.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 19, 2014 09:02 |  #12

2n10 wrote in post #17281110 (external link)
Do you plan on showing them at low res also? That might take a few more pirates out.

Not sure exactly what "pirates" refer to -- but will show low-res thumbnails (?) and then pop up larger images for viewing ... but haven't done this in the past, so am exploring the options.

In the past, I've not had a website of my own that displayed images - generally, the clients had a site (newspaper, magazine, sports venue) so we always had a tech person I sent the images, the tech person did the web work - so I never had any experience with the web side of images.

Hillbille
528 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 19, 2014 10:31 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #13

1024 is a good size and I think what people mean when they ask about "res" is the color depth. When I "post" images I reduce the color depth to a maximum of 32k and lower for some images. This does several things as it reduces download time (display on slower internet connections) and as stated also reduces the "printability" of the image.

People didn't use to take photos from the internet to print because of the low resolution of the final product in actual "print", but with social media today demanding low res photos, the aspect of pirated photographs is a plague.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 19, 2014 10:42 |  #14

HA -- yes, pirates, of course -- my brain was in "data" mode, not "thief" mode, so missed the pirates reference. My tech dumb brain immediately thought "pirate" similar to "pixel" or some other data bit. <laughing at myself>

In fact, on several occasions, I had to demand some of my sports images be removed from websites. People think just because an image appears on the web that somehow it's public. Wrong - but it's very tough educating the public about it - the ones that care don't do it, and the ones that do it don't care.

Hillbille
528 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 19, 2014 14:56 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #15

It's the deception everyone has that anything posted on the internet becomes "public domain" and is fair game for use as they please. It's what got so many music lovers in trouble! LOL!! You would think as widely publicized as that was people would learn, but sadly... not.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

sponsored links

2,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
Image size for web site
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.