Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 03:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D Mark II is a battery hog

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,077 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 18, 2014 09:32 |  #16

You can use the batteries interchangeably. The 6N will work in any body that uses the 6 and vice versa.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
nighthawk82
138 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Nov 18, 2014 09:35 |  #17

If I recall correctly it will work, but the 7D Mark II battery has a higher capacity. So while you will probably want to use a 7D2 battery in a 7D and will get the advantage of higher battery capacity, using a 7D battery in a 7D2 will just give you less shots per charge, so kinda counter productive. But it is doable in an emergency.

Dennis
Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC USD

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,222 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2014 10:48 |  #18

2n10 wrote in post #17279270 (external link)
You can use the batteries interchangeably. The 6N will work in any body that uses the 6 and vice versa.

What about the Canon chargers? Are they interchangeable, too? i.e. will the charger for the old 6 batteries also charge the new 6N batteries?

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 18, 2014 12:40 |  #19

Due to other pots on the stove, I haven't taken my new 7D MII out for an actual shoot yet, but after sitting down with the camera and going over all of the settings, I noticed that my battery dropped from 100% to 57%. I was quite surprised by this, but I also know that rechargeable Lithium batteries need to be cycled through several times before they start to show their real charge/holding power. I'm not even concerned about it right now. I need to get out and put the battery through some substantial use first.

Bryan

My Gear List

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 18, 2014 12:52 |  #20

Yes it's true this camera uses more power but the advantage's are worth it, you can use the 7d charger and battery with the 7D markII, the 200 mAh will only give a few more shots,...last just a bit longer,., I can tell you not many, true ....I can't tell in a day of shooting which one is in the camera. I know I could look but why??? I shoot until I need a fully charged battery again.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,077 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 18, 2014 12:54 |  #21

Scott M wrote in post #17279423 (external link)
What about the Canon chargers? Are they interchangeable, too? i.e. will the charger for the old 6 batteries also charge the new 6N batteries?

Yes it is the same charger if I remember right. If it has a different product number the answer is still yes as I have used the old charger on the new batteries without incident. I also am quite sure that I saw they were compatible in something from Canon.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,336 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 18, 2014 12:55 |  #22

bps wrote in post #17279631 (external link)
Due to other pots on the stove, I haven't taken my new 7D MII out for an actual shoot yet, but after sitting down with the camera and going over all of the settings, I noticed that my battery dropped from 100% to 57%. I was quite surprised by this, but I also know that rechargeable Lithium batteries need to be cycled through several times before they start to show their real charge/holding power. I'm not even concerned about it right now. I need to get out and put the battery through some substantial use first.

Bryan

Somewhat same experience. In setting up my camera, about an hour, I lost all power.
Threw in my 7D battery and finished up.

Recharged battery, used it to test camera, and recharged again, and then it seemed to be acting normally..

So it appeared to be acting as you described, after a couple charges.

My Gear flickr (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,336 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 18, 2014 12:57 |  #23

2n10 wrote in post #17279651 (external link)
Yes it is the same charger if I remember right. If it has a different product number the answer is still yes as I have used the old charger on the new batteries without incident. I also am quite sure that I saw they were compatible in something from Canon.

I concur with John.. Used a charger that came with the 7D, and it charged fine.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,336 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 18, 2014 13:01 |  #24

Pondrader wrote in post #17279650 (external link)
Yes it's true this camera uses more power but the advantage's are worth it, you can use the 7d charger and battery with the 7D markII, the 200 mAh will only give a few more shots,...last just a bit longer,., I can tell you not many, true ....I can't tell in a day of shooting which one is in the camera. I know I could look but why??? I shoot until I need a fully charged battery again.

That's true about batteries, you should only charge when it needs to be fully charged

In other words, use till it dies, then recharge. Suppose to be not good for battery to charge unless fully used.

Read that somewhere, but cant remember where.

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 18, 2014 13:13 |  #25

Scott M wrote in post #17279423 (external link)

It's actually the same charger for the 7D, 70D and 7D Mk II (LC-E6E) - I've got three of the buggers now!

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 18, 2014 13:15 |  #26

The battery is at 47% after having shot with it for a 3-4 hour football game on Saturday. I left it on all game, set the LCD to manual max brightness (game was at noon), I left the IS on my lens on by accident for the first quarter. I probably shot about 600 frames.

This was the second full charge of the battery. Went to a zoo on Friday for about 2-3 hours, didn't check the exact percentage before I put it back on the charger but on the top screen, the battery still had two notches (~50%).

So battery life is okay for me so far.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 18, 2014 15:02 |  #27

John wrote in post #17279704 (external link)
The battery is at 47% after having shot with it for a 3-4 hour football game on Saturday. I left it on all game, set the LCD to manual max brightness (game was at noon), I left the IS on my lens on by accident for the first quarter. I probably shot about 600 frames.

This was the second full charge of the battery. Went to a zoo on Friday for about 2-3 hours, didn't check the exact percentage before I put it back on the charger but on the top screen, the battery still had two notches (~50%).

So battery life is okay for me so far.

then your getting more than stated in the manual, if you shot 600 and had 47% left.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 18, 2014 15:22 |  #28

I've found Canon's estimates to be very short, especially if you are shooting in burst modes.

Yes the batteries are interchangeable and the chargers are the same model number.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 18, 2014 15:49 |  #29

I noticed my battery drained down very quickly when I was doing the initial setup. I recharged that battery and when I was ready to use it again, the grip showed up. Oddly enough, the second battery had only been charged once... the other one twice.... but when out on a shoot, both drained at the same rate and no where near as quickly as when I was setting things up.

All that to say: I don't think the battery life will be an issue for me when I'm out and about. I always have two sets of batteries with me so 4 total: I doubt I've ever exhaust both sets in one day's shooting.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,222 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2014 16:06 |  #30

2n10 wrote in post #17279651 (external link)

Thanks, John. That is good to know. I am not upgrading to the 7D2 for quite a while, but when I do it will be nice to know I can intermix my 5D3 charger with this one as I do now between the 5D3 and 7D. And I may buy some of the higher capacity batteries for my existing bodies beforehand when the existing ones need replacing.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

11,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D Mark II is a battery hog
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.