Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 18, 2014 10:59 |  #346

That is still a very nice lens. Post some stuff when you start to play with it seriously.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Kickflipkid687
THREAD ­ STARTER
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 18, 2014 12:28 |  #347

I ran some tests last night again, but indoors since it was too dark outside.

I was getting better results overall I'd say. I used spot AF in some cases where it made sense, and overall it worked well, sometimes failing more often than my 60D. But the 1 point AF seemed to work fine with 3 different lenses I tried. 70-200 F/4 L IS, 18-135 and 135 F/2.

I was using single point in One Shot and AI Servo, with Case 1 (default settings).

I was using my flash for part of the time, but I don't think it was doing the AF assist beam for most shots.

I may end up keeping it and see how it performs when I take it back to MN this week to see family.
If it's still acting up, I'll have to send it into Canon at that point.

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/ (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,060 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 18, 2014 12:37 |  #348

Kickflipkid687 wrote in post #17279607 (external link)
I ran some tests last night again, but indoors since it was too dark outside.

I was getting better results overall I'd say. I used spot AF in some cases where it made sense, and overall it worked well, sometimes failing more often than my 60D. But the 1 point AF i seemed to work fine with 3 different lenses I tried. 70-200 F/4 L IS, 18-135 and 135 F/2.

I was using single point in One Shot and AI Servo, with Case 1 (default settings).

I was using my flash for part of the time, but I don't think it was doing the AF assist beam for most shots.

I may end up keeping it and see how it performs when I take it back to MN this week to see family.
If it's still acting up, I'll have to send it into Canon at that point.

I went back to the factory settings for the cases and my AF issues have improved also. I think this AF system works much more rapidly than the 7D and lower bodies. I have one issue that I do not know if it is resolved yet but it is hard to test for. I think I still have some acclimation as I had the AF take 3 shots to settle in sharp but it was in a difficult situation that my 7D struggled with. I think the sensitivity is greater also in the AF system.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 18, 2014 12:55 |  #349

After having shot Clemson @ GT football game this weekend using my 7dm2 as the primary and 5dm3 as my backup/wide body, I have to say that I was immensely pleased with the new camera body including the AF. The camera tracked the big guys beautifully and I definitely had more keepers to choose from in terms of both the focus and faster fps.

Must've gotten a good copy. :)

I did have to do +15 MFA for my 50mm 1.4 though but both my 70-200 and 24-70 were good with 0 MFA.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 18, 2014 12:57 |  #350

Were you adjusting the parameter settings in case menus John? I've never attempted to or ever plan to get into those. Just going to trust Canon for those adjustments and just pick a suitable case.

Only changes I made were switching both AI Servo 1st and 2nd priority to Focus and experimented with iRT on and off.

I'l repost this. There are some good examples of what case to use, in conjunction with single, spot, expanded, zone and one shot or AI Servo at the end. Just be careful when you switch from expanded to zone. If iTR is enabled then it activates in Zone and the focusing characteristics change.

http://www.brochures.c​anon-europe.com …ctid=9090&langu​ageid=-111 (external link)

Image Editing OK

Kickflipkid687
THREAD ­ STARTER
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 18, 2014 14:51 |  #351

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/news/2678 (external link)

hmmm... reading this one article he says:

Case 1: I shot almost the entire Olympics on this setting. I gotta say-it just works. If you never used the other Cases the 1D X would still be the best auto-focusing camera Canon has ever made. Ever.

Case 4: I have had very good results with this Case. It seems to work well for football especially at night. I have also heard this from several other shooters. I think this one is a keeper.

AI Servo 1st and 2nd Image Priority (Magenta 2): I have both these set to “Equal Priority”. The AF in this camera is so good that I don’t think there is any need to skew this either way.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 18, 2014 14:51 |  #352

John wrote in post #17279653 (external link)
After having shot Clemson @ GT football game this weekend using my 7dm2 as the primary and 5dm3 as my backup/wide body, I have to say that I was immensely pleased with the new camera body including the AF. The camera tracked the big guys beautifully and I definitely had more keepers to choose from in terms of both the focus and faster fps.

Must've gotten a good copy. :)

I did have to do +15 MFA for my 50mm 1.4 though but both my 70-200 and 24-70 were good with 0 MFA.

Well...the 50 1.4 isn't exactly known for it's AF or build quality... Mine front focuses slightly (subject in focus on back 1/3 of the plane).

Gave mine a good run at lunch today with both the 17-55 and the 70-300L at both near and far targets, no birds in the sky though (wonder why as it was like 15 degrees blowing 25mph) so I couldn't play with tracking much, seemed like everything was focusing correctly at all kinds of ranges from about 10-15 feet out to about 500.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,060 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 18, 2014 14:51 |  #353

digital paradise wrote in post #17279657 (external link)
Were you adjusting the parameter settings in case menus John? I've never attempted to or ever plan to get into those. Just going to trust Canon for those adjustments and just pick a suitable case.

Only changes I made were switching both AI Servo 1st and 2nd priority to Focus and experimented with iRT on and off.

I'l repost this. There are some good examples of what case to use, in conjunction with single, spot, expanded, zone and one shot or AI Servo at the end. Just be careful when you switch from expanded to zone. If iTR is enabled then it activates in Zone and the focusing characteristics change.

http://www.brochures.c​anon-europe.com …ctid=9090&langu​ageid=-111 (external link)

Yes I was changing the parameters. I made the same AI Servo adjustments. ITR is only supposed to work in zone modes, but I have turned it on and off a couple of times.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Mike-G
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 18, 2014 15:16 |  #354

Mike-G wrote in post #17278979 (external link)
Guys, I think we are loosing focus on the focus subject here..! I think there is the need to better understand what is really happening and how many of us are in trouble. Best would be to understand how many have problems over how many total buyers..
If you agree, I suggest that each of us answer the following questions :
Seller :
Body only : ( Yes/No )
Serial No.:
Focus problem : ( seriuos/occasional/No )
Will return : ( yes/don't know/No )

Just for the sake of clarity !
Thanks

So far got 3 answers : all purchased at Adorama, but only one with serious focus problems and returned. Can we confirm that the defective batch, if any, is not only with B&H?
2 kits and one 'body only' : one of the kits had problems. Can we say that the problem is on both: kit and body only ?
What I am trying to do is a sort of statistic that would help us understand what to do. Is it worth having it replaced ? There are probably thousands out there that are satisfied so one might try his luck and have it replaced.
I think my problem is more related to distance: shots with the 24-105 do not show the problem. Most problems are with the 100-400, far subject and center point focus. Unfortunately didn't have time to test it more.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 18, 2014 15:22 |  #355

2n10 wrote in post #17279889 (external link)
Yes I was changing the parameters. I made the same AI Servo adjustments. ITR is only supposed to work in zone modes, but I have turned it on and off a couple of times.

Yes iTR only activates in zone modes - zone, large zone and 65.

Image Editing OK

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 18, 2014 15:50 |  #356

Mike-G wrote in post #17279937 (external link)
So far got 3 answers : all purchased at Adorama, but only one with serious focus problems and returned. Can we confirm that the defective batch, if any, is not only with B&H?
2 kits and one 'body only' : one of the kits had problems. Can we say that the problem is on both: kit and body only ?
What I am trying to do is a sort of statistic that would help us understand what to do. Is it worth having it replaced ? There are probably thousands out there that are satisfied so one might try his luck and have it replaced.
I think my problem is more related to distance: shots with the 24-105 do not show the problem. Most problems are with the 100-400, far subject and center point focus. Unfortunately didn't have time to test it more.

I've done a few handheld shots with my 400 f/5.6, and so far it seems to be focusing fine with both near and distant stuff. I'm mostly using center point with expansion. I've gotten some soft shots but am pretty sure they're from motion blur.

EDIT: body only from Adorama.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,438 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 18, 2014 19:43 |  #357

I have had the body for about a week now. My testing has been limited to indoors and low light. I find that the camera is very challenged with my 100mm 2.8 IS macro lens. If the subject is very out of focus it seems the camera has trouble finding contrast and the lens doesn't seem to even try to focus. Using all factory settings. Anyone else has an similar issue?

This doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I wonder if I should return the body for another? Or is this new focusing system just quirky like that?

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

Kickflipkid687
THREAD ­ STARTER
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 18, 2014 20:11 |  #358

Chiefy wrote in post #17280363 (external link)
I have had the body for about a week now. My testing has been limited to indoors and low light. I find that the camera is very challenged with my 100mm 2.8 IS macro lens. If the subject is very out of focus it seems the camera has trouble finding contrast and the lens doesn't seem to even try to focus. Using all factory settings. Anyone else has an similar issue?

This doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I wonder if I should return the body for another? Or is this new focusing system just quirky like that?

Make sure focus searching is ON, that might do it/help?

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,438 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 18, 2014 20:17 |  #359

Kickflipkid687 wrote in post #17280406 (external link)
Make sure focus searching is ON, that might do it/help?

Not sure what the default setting is, but it was turned off and when I turned it on the lens now searches more consistently for focus. Thanks for the tip :)

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

KinoC
524 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 18, 2014 21:01 |  #360

I return mine today. It was just the body through Amazon. I had a studio session and at a low ISO the sharpness and quality was not there. I know that full frame is full frame but I expected more so I'm getting the 1Dx. I was trying to save the 4k but not this time. I tried but at the end I was not fully satisfied with the "results" when I compared it to 5DMII. I wished I could have test the RAW directly but the window for return was approaching and I don't want surprises. I wish you all the best and I hope it was just my copy or ME.

KC
1Dx |5D MII | 7D|16-35 MII|24-70 MII|70-200 MII

sponsored links

1,338,577 views & 2,730 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.