Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going Mac Help!!!!!

Bracetty
236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 18, 2014 17:17 |  #1

So im finally looking to make the switch to mac for the "user friendliness" as well as the high res screen (thunderbolt monitor). However, I am not sure about what system I can use to for LR, PS Bridge etc. My current PC is a custom i7 8GB ram sytem but im not looking to spend that kind of money. I was considering a used MacBook but they all kind of seem similar but I know you mac folks out there know the difference. Is a 2010 4gb sytem feasible if its going to be exclusively used for video/photo editing? Or do I need to get one of the newer systems. I read a lot of threads about OS issues and software glitches but I don't currently own a mac so I don't understand most of the jargon.

http://dopelahomacity.​tumblr.com/ (external link)
Canon 6D & 60D Gripped, Bower 85mm 1/4, Canon 50mm f1/4, 70-200 2.8 L IS V2, Canon 135mm 2.0 L, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VS, 2X Yongnuo 580

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,021 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 18, 2014 17:28 |  #2

4gb is NOT enough for decent video production.

Memory is cheap. Get a new 27" iMac and max it out to 32gb.

Do you really want a laptop? Screen res is great on them but they are only 15". Editing on a laptop sucks IMHO.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,021 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 18, 2014 17:29 |  #3

Do you have Best Buy down there? 18-24 months same as cash. Its a great deal.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 18, 2014 17:58 |  #4

It might seem expensive but get the best you can afford. 4gb would not be enough IMO. 8gb would be the absolute minimum I would be consider but even then, I'd rather save my pennies and go for 16 or better yet, 32gb of RAM.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,015 posts
Gallery: 323 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 18, 2014 18:32 |  #5

If you're in the market for a mac and a thunderbolt monitor you should just get the best iMac you can afford. If you need to be portable get a recent or new/refurbed MacBook Pro with the retina screen. The resolution of that 15 inch retina is more than enough.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 18, 2014 18:40 |  #6

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with 4gb of ram. It runs photoshop fine, but I would not want to do all of my editing on it, when I use filters it slows down a bit. I have the retina iMac with 24gb of ram and it is perfect for editing.

Gear
Website (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 18, 2014 20:50 |  #7

If you have a monitor, Mac Mini no question and put in 16gb of ram. If your adventurous then add a SSD and make it a fusion drive for under a $1000

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 18, 2014 21:24 |  #8

flowrider wrote in post #17280469 (external link)
If you have a monitor, Mac Mini no question and put in 16gb of ram. If your adventurous then add a SSD and make it a fusion drive for under a $1000

I looked at that prior to purchasing an iMac but there is no dedicated graphics card. For video and photo editing, having a dedicated card speeds some things up. Lightroom not so much but if you are using Photoshop CS 5 or 6 then you would notice the added speed of a GPU and CPU.

SkyBaby
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 18, 2014 21:30 |  #9

Used would definitely be a good option. Just buy locally and look it over before money exchanges hands. I have a 2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with a 500GB drive and 8GB RAM. I'm planning on upgrading the internal HD to a 1TB SSD for a further speed boost, but the 8GB of ram is a lot different in my use from the 4GB I had before. All I have experience with is photo editing, but movie editing may require far more RAM than is available in any MBP.

I bought mine through a relative working at a university. The university's student laptop program gives the students and faculty the option to buy it from the university at the end of the rotation period (2-3 years). Macs are made to last, especially the unibody ones. I'm pretty sure they also sell iMacs like this, too. If you have any relatives either going to a university or have relatives who are faculty I'd look into that. There could be a middle man involved and at least how it worked for me, I had to trust my relative to pick out the computer for me. That was fine, considering he's something of a Mac expert so it all worked out.

Macs are expensive brand new so I only ever buy used but there are plenty of options available. Craigslist, a university's laptop program, and the market place section here are all good places to start. Good luck!

~Kira~
Check out my Flickr for lots of aviation and nature related photography: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skys_flickr/
Check out my Facebook fan page for my best of the best imagery. Give it a thumbs up if you like what you see! https://www.facebook.c​om/PhotographybyKiraAn​dreola (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,270 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 18, 2014 21:32 |  #10

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17280155 (external link)
4gb is NOT enough for decent video production.

Memory is cheap. Get a new 27" iMac and max it out to 32gb.

Do you really want a laptop? Screen res is great on them but they are only 15". Editing on a laptop sucks IMHO.

I just wish the Macs were cheap as an HP. OMG!!!:rolleyes:

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,684 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 18, 2014 21:35 |  #11

"Once you go Mac you never go back"

I try to make art by pushing buttons

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 18, 2014 21:54 |  #12

I migrated everything from my PC to a MacBook Pro several months back. What a huge improvement. Right now I only have Lightroom 5 on the Mac but I will be adding software as soon as I decide what I really need. I keep the catalog on the Mac but my images are on an external and my backups are on a second external drive. Moving to the Mac and Lightroom 5 was a great decision....and yes, once you go Mac you never go back.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,311 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 18, 2014 23:46 |  #13

My current PC is a custom i7 8GB ram sytem but im not looking to spend that kind of money.

Expect to pay more for a Mac vs a comparable PC. It's going to cost you if you want to do the Mac dance.

Bracetty
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 19, 2014 03:22 |  #14

Thanks for the many responses. My big issues is that i lost my office when i had my son a few months back. So ive been forced to edit on a TV screen in my kitchen and the color just got drastically different when i swapped out my HDMI cable due to a power surge. I need the convenience of a laptop but i can replace the kitchen screen with a thunderbolt with some creative mounting to keep the wife happy. Id also rather learn mac OS than windows 8. Are all the 2010s fully upgradeable to 8GB or ram? I keep seeing something about "Last year with optical drive", thats the kind of stuff i dont understand its super frustrating.

http://dopelahomacity.​tumblr.com/ (external link)
Canon 6D & 60D Gripped, Bower 85mm 1/4, Canon 50mm f1/4, 70-200 2.8 L IS V2, Canon 135mm 2.0 L, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VS, 2X Yongnuo 580

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 19, 2014 13:02 |  #15

The more RAM -the better. Go for 8gb at least. Also for video you need the fast CPU. Core i7 4790 should do the trick.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,912 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going Mac Help!!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.