Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Lightroom 6 (March 2015) requiring monthly subscription like CC

CRCchemist
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 17, 2014 11:50 |  #46

Oh, Capture One is awesome. You should try it anyway - it's actually better than Lightroom. It definitely has more control over white balance and color adjustment. The problem is.... everyone has everything in the Lightroom library!!!

Lumens wrote in post #17272352 (external link)
If it is true all versions of adobe software will go subscription only - my first action will be to give Capture One a try. If it is even close to a reasonable replacement it's Adobe Goodbye!!

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,750 posts
Gallery: 394 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Nov 17, 2014 12:16 |  #47

CRCchemist wrote in post #17277332 (external link)
Oh, Capture One is awesome. You should try it anyway - it's actually better than Lightroom. It definitely has more control over white balance and color adjustment. The problem is.... everyone has everything in the Lightroom library!!!

I use Lightroom for developing, not for organizing my pics. I don't use metadata or LR's search function. I DO give folders and files meaningful names. That helps to find things using windows explorer.

I did it this way because it was easy and convenient - but it also makes me independent of LR, and that will be a big benefit if I decide to switch to another program for developing my pics.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 17, 2014 12:49 |  #48

Archibald wrote in post #17277381 (external link)
I use Lightroom for developing, not for organizing my pics. I don't use metadata or LR's search function. I DO give folders and files meaningful names. That helps to find things using windows explorer.

I did it this way because it was easy and convenient - but it also makes me independent of LR, and that will be a big benefit if I decide to switch to another program for developing my pics.

I do the same out of ingrained habits in organizing other sorts of files over the years. I'll admit I never took the time to embrace LR's organization tools.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,388 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 17, 2014 14:28 |  #49

CRCchemist wrote in post #17277332 (external link)

I believe you.

I keep trying to like Capture One - I always upgrade when a new version is released, but eventually I always end up back in Lightroom. But, then, I love Photoshop, and Lightroom talks to Photoshop (and other apps) better than any other raw converter I know.

I'll keep at it - maybe one day I'll be a true C1 convert. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

CRCchemist
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 17, 2014 16:52 |  #50

Ok, so back to the original, question, does anyone know of who to contact at Adobe, so I can write an email to tell them not to make Lightroom 6 a subscription license?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,750 posts
Gallery: 394 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Nov 17, 2014 20:27 |  #51

CRCchemist wrote in post #17277946 (external link)
Ok, so back to the original, question, does anyone know of who to contact at Adobe, so I can write an email to tell them not to make Lightroom 6 a subscription license?

Better not do that, in case they never considered it. Might give them ideas.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 18, 2014 18:34 |  #52

The really sucko thing about this move at Adobe is that you have to have at least Windows 7 installed. So Vista owners are forced to have to upgrade and reload all their software. Which I have refused to do. Fortunately I do not use Lightroom and unfortunately CS6 is no longer supported. Can you say ......

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 18, 2014 21:16 |  #53

jetcode wrote in post #17280248 (external link)
The really sucko thing about this move at Adobe is that you have to have at least Windows 7 installed. So Vista owners are forced to have to upgrade and reload all their software. Which I have refused to do. Fortunately I do not use Lightroom and unfortunately CS6 is no longer supported. Can you say ......

That's not entirely the case. Just tonight my CS6 updated camera raw and one other module, can't remember which. I believe what Adobe has said is that no new features will be introduced in CS6 but it is still supported.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 18, 2014 21:21 |  #54

There was literally no reason to continue using Vista after Win7 came out. And now the newest Vista machines are over 5 years old and due for replacement anyway,.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 18, 2014 21:28 |  #55

Development on Windows Vista was complete a YEAR before the first iphone was released. There have been SIX iterations of the iphone released since that software was released. I don't think it is at all unreasonable for a software company to drop support from a OS that was literally created before there were smart phones...

Hell, the 5Dc was barely released when that OS came out.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 18, 2014 22:38 |  #56

vengence wrote in post #17280532 (external link)
....I don't think it is at all unreasonable for a software company to drop support from a OS that was literally created before there were smart phones.......

Smart phones were available way before the iPhone, like 10 years before the iPhone.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 19, 2014 01:08 |  #57

There is a new LR version out that supports the 7D Mark 2 files.. version 5.7

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

Keema
247 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 19, 2014 02:19 |  #58

Yup! still downloading it..saw the post from FM. will try it on my D750 later..

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 19, 2014 19:06 |  #59

gjl711 wrote in post #17280634 (external link)
Smart phones were available way before the iPhone, like 10 years before the iPhone.

The first mass market adoption was in 2006 with the blackberry, not 10 years before.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 19, 2014 21:28 |  #60

vengence wrote in post #17282351 (external link)
The first mass market adoption was in 2006 with the blackberry, not 10 years before.

The Palm Treo came out in 2002. Palm and WinCE PDAs go back to the 90's.

sponsored links

19,658 views & 1 like for this thread
Adobe Lightroom 6 (March 2015) requiring monthly subscription like CC
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.