Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 03:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D Mark II is a battery hog

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,675 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 19, 2014 04:14 as a reply to  @ post 17280007 |  #31

Bianchi wrote in post #17279666 (external link)
That's true about batteries, you should only charge when it needs to be fully charged

In other words, use till it dies, then recharge. Suppose to be not good for battery to charge unless fully used.

Read that somewhere, but cant remember where.

That was true of Nickel Cadmium batteries (which exhibited a "memory affect") and arguably also NiMH but to a much lesser extent, however Li-Ion batteries do not need to be fully discharged before charging. In fact, unlike NiCd, Li-Ion can be damaged irreparably by deep discharge. Recharge Li-Ion as you need and as you want.

Gear List

sponsored links
TMaG82
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 19, 2014 05:04 |  #32

mnphotos wrote in post #17279201 (external link)
I'd be interested to know if that Watson battery charger will charge the Canon batteries for the 7D MKII. Some of the reviews on B&H say it doesn't charge the Canon brand batteries and only works with the Watson brand batteries.

Thanks.

Cameras coming in today, so we'll see how it works with the Watson, but got the charging plates in last night and charged up 2 Wasabi batteries last night no problem.

Current Gear: Sony a7III, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,438 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 19, 2014 05:50 |  #33

Scott M wrote in post #17279423 (external link)
What about the Canon chargers? Are they interchangeable, too? i.e. will the charger for the old 6 batteries also charge the new 6N batteries?

The chargers are exactly the same. When I traded in my 7D for the 7D2 I forgot to bring the battery charger, the store simply took the new one out of the box and I use the old one that remained at home.

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

JWdlft
309 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 19, 2014 06:10 |  #34

Originally Posted by Bianchi:
That's true about batteries, you should only charge when it needs to be fully charged
In other words, use till it dies, then recharge. Suppose to be not good for battery to charge unless fully used.
Read that somewhere, but cant remember where.

smythie wrote in post #17280882 (external link)
That was true of Nickel Cadmium batteries (which exhibited a "memory affect") and arguably also NiMH but to a much lesser extent, however Li-Ion batteries do not need to be fully discharged before charging. In fact, unlike NiCd, Li-Ion can be damaged irreparably by deep discharge. Recharge Li-Ion as you need and as you want.

I'm just repeating this because so many people think that Lithium ion batteries are like nickel batteries. smythie is right, you can charge a Lion battery any time you want because there is no battery 'memory'. Deep discharge is a small but bigger risk, so if you're not going to use a battery for a while, make sure it's charged about 50% or so before storing it, so it doesn't lose all charge.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,953 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 19, 2014 06:46 as a reply to  @ JWdlft's post |  #35

You should be aware of that the difference in capacity between the LP-E6 and the LP-E6N is small. Small enough that you wouldn't notice, unless it was printed on the label.

Anders

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,825 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 19, 2014 15:05 |  #36

Anders,

That's why I've been buying Sterlingtek LP-E6 batteries: they are 2600 mAH. Whenever I got a new DSLR body that takes the LP-E6, I purchased 3 extra batteries so I'd have two complete sets when using a battery grip. In each case, the 3 batteries retained their charge ratings longer than the OEM battery. In addition, I can get more photographs per charge, as one would expect.

My 7D 2 is new, obviously, but I expect the same trend to continue.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 19, 2014 15:24 |  #37

I have decided to wait on the Sterlingtek batteries till the 7D2 gets our of warranty. I used them in the 350D (was less concerned when the non-Canon batteries were in the grip rather than in the camera) and in the 40D after I had a few years on it. Bought a 3rd party grip for the 40D but seldom used it, don't have any plans to put a grip on the 7D2. A second Canon battery is on the way from Amazon.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,326 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2014 11:58 |  #38

Yep this cam is like a battery pac-man. I have the GPS off which is the default setting. I'm not getting any where near 670. Not even half and I realize IS takes power. I wonder if something else is chewing up power even in sleep mode. I'm gong it test that out.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Digitally_Altered
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 23, 2014 14:01 |  #39

I seem to be having battery drain issues when not in use, hope that changes with additional charging cycles as well... And yes, GPS is off

5D mkIV, 2x)7D mkII, 500 f4L IS mkII, 100-400L IS mkII, 70-200 2.8L IS mkII, 24-70 2.8L mkII, 16-35 2.8L mkIII, 100 2.8L IS, 600EX-RT x4

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 01, 2015 03:24 as a reply to  @ Digitally_Altered's post |  #40

I am getting total battery drain, say overnight when the camera is not in use. GPS off, auto sleep 1 min.

It has been off for warranty repair due to water under LCD -(5 months old) didn't have this problem before this repair and "full" test.

Both with 7D and 7D2 battery. have charged them fully a few times.

Gear List

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by docholliday_sc001.

Jul 01, 2015 06:14 as a reply to  @ hania's post |  #41

There has to be something with the newer cameras that use the transmittive LCD. My 1Dx was sucking battery when asleep AND using excessive battery during single-shot usage. Non-backlit LCDs don't use very much power at all (look at how much battery life comes from LCD watches), it's the backlights that hog power. Nowadays, with LED backlighting, that has even dropped to very little. Despite all that, that transmittive is using power at all times (take out battery and watch the screen tranparency change). But, to kill a battery overnight, the power consumption would have to be tens of milliamps per hour.

With mine, it was something in the firmware that was preventing the camera from going completely to sleep, which was why the camera was chewing battery sitting on a desk asleep. After about a dozen flashes (back to previous and multiple times of the current), mine has resolved both power hogging and sleep usage.

It could have been the meter not powering down or the disk controller remaining idle the whole time. Either way, it's probably more likely that they have switched to using less discrete components and the new SoC is the cause. The new tech is nice because it allows for quick (and previously unavailable) changes and new features, but becomes so firmware dependent that a small bug will wreak havoc and become almost untraceable as there is much going on behind-the-scenes that the firmware writer doesn't know about.

It may also be that the newer Digic processors operate in a multi-state mode, throttling to a lower power with light usage and spooling up to higher bus and clock rates when loaded. If something was idling high and preventing the low power state from engaging, it would have the same effect.

Either way, hopefully Canon'll discover the cause and fix it in firmware eventually. Probably more likely they'll figure out the 7D2 (as there are more of them) first and will eventually trickle up to the 1Dx.

docholliday_sc001
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 01, 2015 06:19 |  #42

Digitally_Altered wrote in post #17288876 (external link)
I seem to be having battery drain issues when not in use, hope that changes with additional charging cycles as well... And yes, GPS is off

Not likely. My 1Dx was draining with multiple vintages of batteries, one that has hundreds of cycles to a new one with about a dozen cycles. It's something in the firmware of the camera...

tonyxcom
209 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by tonyxcom.

Jul 01, 2015 19:22 as a reply to  @ docholliday_sc001's post |  #43

I am getting pretty phenomenal battery life out of my Gripped 7D2.

This particular day I used a 100-400 II exclusively. IS was primarily on mode 2, but sometimes mode 3. Fine Jpeg to both cards simultaneously. Review off but there was a moderate amount of gimping. Oh GENUINE Canon batteries.

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/7d2-batt.jpg

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

docholliday_sc001
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 01, 2015 22:48 |  #44

tonyxcom wrote in post #17617428 (external link)
I am getting pretty phenomenal battery life out of my Gripped 7D2.

This particular day I used a 100-400 II exclusively. IS was primarily on mode 2, but sometimes mode 3. Fine Jpeg to both cards simultaneously. Review off but there was a moderate amount of gimping. Oh GENUINE Canon batteries.

QUOTED IMAGE

I assume mostly shot fairly rapidly, possibly in servo mode? Motor drive and/or single shot?

I've gotten ~9500 shots out a single battery and there are others who have gotten 11K-12K out of a single battery. All was shot fairly quickly (single shot all the way up to 12fps) and mostly in servo. Shot slowly or in small batches, the new firmware is very power inefficient.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 01, 2015 22:51 |  #45

Never understood posts like this. Who cares that the 7D2 eats up batteries. They are cheap. Go buy a couple of wasabi's at $14.95 and keep them in your bag. Its not a big deal. 3 pages and batteries are $14.95 at amazon.

They work as good if not better that the factory battery

http://www.amazon.com …i+5Dmkiii++lp-e-6+battery (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

10,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D Mark II is a battery hog
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.